Surf Noir

Unpopular Music Opinions

On 8/27/2023 at 5:40 PM, evalionisameme said:

My unpopular opinion is that it’s odd how people consider Billie as some kind of vocalist when she never pretends or portrays herself as such but consider Lana a worse singer when she’s clearly much more skilled vocally 

Lazy at times but still skilled 

Really not a fan of her ASMR vocals as well, she got great production and can perform her ass off though

6 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

like a g6 aged like rancid milk

This better be satire bc if there’s ONE throwback song from the 2010s I will immediately drop everything for and yell out “THIS IS MY SONGGG” and start dancing to no matter where I am, it’s Like a G6. The pub, karaoke, TJ Maxx idgaf I will be turning the entire establishment into my own personal club for the entire 3 minutes and 39 seconds.

To add to this thread and my note above, I greatly miss the trashy club music era of the late 2000s/early 2010s. Dev, Kreayshawn, Ke$ha, Alexandra Stan… pure gold x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

3 hours ago, Elle said:

This better be satire bc if there’s ONE throwback song from the 2010s I will immediately drop everything for and yell out “THIS IS MY SONGGG” and start dancing to no matter where I am, it’s Like a G6. The pub, karaoke, TJ Maxx idgaf I will be turning the entire establishment into my own personal club for the entire 3 minutes and 39 seconds.

To add to this thread and my note above, I greatly miss the trashy club music era of the late 2000s/early 2010s. Dev, Kreayshawn, Ke$ha, Alexandra Stan… pure gold x

Wait kreayshawn and Dev aren’t the same person 💀

18 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

like a g6 aged like rancid milk

take that back NEOOWWW. lotta songs from that era molded fast, but that one holds pretty well as a club song

18 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

Female rap (2010s-onwards) is a style that's absolutely not for me

These labels heard one Doja Cat song and said copy + paste 

for me, Lorde is not similar to Lana at all. if only something is similar then some of the tracks from Solar Power like Stoned

url%5D

thinking about beyonce stealing from smaller artists makes me think that she's honestly more of a model/ manufactured product than a true artist. 
and i know no one really believes she writes her songs, but she seems more like a machine than someone i can connect to from a soul/ human perspective. 

it's undeniable that she's technically a talent juggernaut. but it's just strange to really see her as an artist personally, but more so a conglomeration of her teams.

/

I really love Cater 2 U. I know it means a totally different meaning to others, and the purposeless lyric rubs me the wrong way, but I do hold the act of service in high regard when it comes to being proud of someone and nurturing them (love as actions more so than words). also, michelle really makes the song 

UV/Honeymoon

19 hours ago, Slow Dance to rock music said:

thinking about beyonce stealing from smaller artists makes me think that she's honestly more of a model/ manufactured product than a true artist. 
and i know no one really believes she writes her songs, but she seems more like a machine than someone i can connect to from a soul/ human perspective. 

it's undeniable that she's technically a talent juggernaut. but it's just strange to really see her as an artist personally, but more so a conglomeration of her teams.

/
I really love Cater 2 U. I know it means a totally different meaning to others, and the purposeless lyric rubs me the wrong way, but I do hold the act of service in high regard when it comes to being proud of someone and nurturing them (love as actions more so than words). also, michelle really makes the song 

I don’t think most people would disagree with you, even some in the beehive. Her singing sells where she falls short in writing her own music, meaning that she conveys very well the emotions the lyrics are trying to portray and is why many of her fans don’t mind that she’s not the one penning her songs. I also notice that many of her fans care more about her vocal abilities than whatever words she is singing. 

There is no doubt that she has a whole machine behind her, and she doesn’t really hide it either. Especially with her tours, videos, and music production. She is a perfectionist, which rubs people the wrong way and makes her art come across as fake or void of emotion. But I think she has realized that and the shift has been happening since self-titled. There have been many hiccups in the renaissance tour and she doesn’t seem to mind as much as she used to. 

She is now in the process of building her legacy  She is at a point now where she is making music for herself; Self titled was a dip into that water and Lemonade/BLACK IS KING/Renaissance are evidence of that. She’s still making contemporary pop music, but with more thought and work behind it. 

The stealing thing is weird to me because she’s always been adamant of giving credit where it’s due, which is why it seems like 30 people wrote a song when it’s only 5, and the rest are credited people from whatever sample or interlude she and her producers used for said song.  I will say that she had hiccups with Renaissance, but Kelis’ reaction should’ve been directed at Pharrell since he is the one who did not credit Kelis on her own song. Beyoncé team simply copied and pasted the legal credit team as it exists in the copyright world. Also Right Said Fred going after her for not crediting them when she clearly did since the album release is just attention seeking. 

I am only a casual fan/listener that has enjoyed her growth. I’m sure someone here may give better response to your opinion. 

edit: and yeah Cater2U has gotten me looking side eye now that I know the lyrics. Michelle always does great as usual 

I genuinely love Taylor Swift. I know that besides a big fandom, she has many dislikers and haters *cough cough here cough* too and people who like think shit about her. But like, even though, she's not my no.1 favorite artist, I love her songs. They have a meaning for me. I find her most of her lyrics great, I think it's because they're relatable for me and there aren't many artist whose lyrics I'd relate to. I love her melodies too. And I love her business approaches too. I consider it genius - even though I don't have any Taylor CDs, vinyls or other merch. If there's only thing I would dislike about "Taylor Swift" in general are her lunatic fans and all the media around her. Her fans are like hundred times delusional than Lana fans, they're like actually clowns and I blame social media for that. And I also don't like how media is provocative using her name, I can't really explain that but they always overexaggerate with it, especially after when she has been watching her boyfriend's football matches. 

url%5D

It’s crazy that there’s so much clipping on music post 2000s- if you listen to a song like family portrait by pink one of the entire ending parts is entirely clipped- case in point the entirety of stripped by Christina.

You're taught in producing that clipping is a sign of poor production and or mixing skills yet so much modern music contains it :crossed:

the indie girl darlings of today are so boring to me I truly can't understand the hype... I've tried to listen to Phoebe Bridgers, Mitski, boygenius etc. so many times and I always give up after like two songs

I don’t like the transitions in Renassaince… every song feels cut in middle. Confessions on a dance floor by Madonna has the same issue.

Christina Aguilera’s voice is too nasal therefore not good to hear. Britney’s voice (specially her low original voice) is more pleasant to the ears.