Elle

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil @ MITA Festival - May 27th, 2023

36 minutes ago, Brightsun said:

Oh I don’t know what to say to be honest 

she was so nervous 

vocally it’s one of the worst ever 

the dress /the scenes  were so bad 

the best thing in the festival was the crowd 

im so  disappointed  let’s be real we love Lana but this was so bad she is was so nervous she fucked it 

Yes she isn’t a great performer due to anxiety, but also her singing is quiet and delicate, it does not project well at a huge concert with a large and crazy crowd. It doesn’t suit her at all. The type of performance Lana would do better at is a small lounge and quiet table sitting audience.  She tries to satisfy her fans at these larger venues so as many as possible can see her.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Some of y’all (a VERY VERY select few) will legit never be happy with anything Lana does. “Her voice is ruined” “her vocals were shit” “she  sounded weak” “she sounded nervous”. Can we not just appreciate the fact that she’s returned to the stage after 3 years, especially when she’s naturally a very nervous performer in general, and given an amazing performance? Like atp I wonder why some of y’all are fans if you just want to nitpick everything L does like you’re her music teacher or something 

Ngl I loved yesterday's show, absolutely. So many great performances and new mixes of old songs and also FLIPSIDE!! I honestly can't express my excitement to be in the crowd next week singing one of my favorite songs ever!

But let's be real now the setlist could've been wayyy better if her team didn't just make her go back to a bunch of Born to Die stuff just 'cause it's "mainstream pop". Lana literally has released 4 brand new albums she never performed in Brazil yet songs like DMD, White Mustang, Ultraviolence, BTD, & BJ for example took place of songs we might never get to hear live! I love those songs but I'd really rather have Cinnamon, Peppers, Chemtrails, SYTH, TJF!!!, & a longer version of A&W.

So, this is the setlist I made:

Spoiler

Act I - Rocky Mountain High

1. A&W

2. Candy Necklace

3. Young & Beautiful

4. The Grants

5. Flipside

6. West Coast

7. The greatest

Act II - The Light Shines In

8. Interlude: Ride Monologue

9. Ride | Outro: God Knows I Tried

10. Video Games

11. Arcadia

12. Say Yes To Heaven

Act III - That's Why They Call Me Lanita

13. Cinnamon Girl

14. Tulsa Jesus Freak

15. Taco Truck x VB

16. Cherry

17. Peppers

18. High By the Beach

Act IV - Don't Forget Me

19. Summertime Sadness

20. Bittersweet Anthem

21. Old Money

22. Chemtrails Over the Country Club

23. Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd

The way this would've been basically the same length as the official setlist but feels much more complete & includes all eras... :oic2: 

i really can’t believe she performed flipside.

like…..:oprah:

she literally performed it for me. i love that song so much and i feel like it’s always left behind.

signature.gif

"One gun on the table. Headshot if you're able..."

43 minutes ago, Brightsun said:

Oh I don’t know what to say to be honest 

she was so nervous 

vocally it’s one of the worst ever 

the dress /the scenes  were so bad 

the best thing in the festival was the crowd 

im so  disappointed  let’s be real we love Lana but this was so bad she is was so nervous she fucked it 

Brightsun I’m so disappointed….. Never would have expected this. If you want to retire just say it!! 

1 minute ago, gothphetamine said:

Some of y’all (a VERY VERY select few) will legit never be happy with anything Lana does. “Her voice is ruined” “her vocals were shit” “she  sounded weak” “she sounded nervous”. Can we not just appreciate the fact that she’s returned to the stage after 3 years, especially when she’s naturally a very nervous performer in general, and given an amazing performance? Like atp I wonder why some of y’all are fans if you just want to nitpick everything L does like you’re her music teacher or something 

Literally. Acting like they paid for the festival ticket. :eek3:

Just now, kuntsugi said:

i also couldn't help but notice lana doing exactly this mouth movement > :sky: a lot during the show, is it an anxiety thing? never seen her do that before 

That was her trying to speak Portuguese :sky:

It is her first show in 3 years so I was happy to see her. So I never expected the performance be pitch perfect. It’s a very challenging setting to perform at, lots can go wrong. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

CN, DMD and Flipside (:trisha:) absolutely scalped me, I also cried throughout the whole of AW and Y&B, we've come so far lipsters :trisha:  can't wait for more performances

Happy as the moonshine

she probably can hit her old notes too, she either just needs retraining or she just chooses not to because its easier for her

i think she put on an amazing show last night and she is clearly alot happier having the singers on stage. we should be grateful shes still touring despite the fact we know she doesnt enjoy it too much

i loved it :hair:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

7 minutes ago, keps2013 said:

i really can’t believe she performed flipside.

like…..:oprah:

she literally performed it for me. i love that song so much and i feel like it’s always left behind.

i couldn't believe it

at first i was like i must be wrong   :trisha:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

The beginning was messy, yes, but she seemed to relax and truly start having fun around Ride/BTD and it was wonderful then! She seemed downright giddy (or high?? Lol) and vibing with the audience. It was like watching her fall back in love with performing, so special :flutter:

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt

My theory; I think VG was the perfect song to finish on

I hate when people diminish Lana’s earlier work to being all about boyfriends and relationships and shit (I mean a lot of it is but it’s not JUST about that). But it is also evident that bfs & relationships are big impacts on her and on what she writes about

She’s spoken at length about the process she had of writing Video Games - about a relationship where she’s essentially given up her plans as a writer/singer to live a life of domesticity with her man. A lot of people play it at their weddings and I’ve never known why because it’s beautiful, yeah, but it’s so damn sad. Not just melodically - but the overarching themes break my heart

And ofc we all remember the infamous Dublin performance where L broke down singing VG on stage. Singing “it’s only worth living if somebody  is loving you” at a time when felt like she wasn’t - not just in a relationship sense but in terms of fans too, being villianised by the press, being openly suicidal - is beyond heartbreaking to think

But now she’s SO much happier and healthier, which is a point she’s stressed repeatedly in interviews and is apparent to see even in candid and fan photos. She told Rolling Stone in March that she has passion for making music (or words to that effect, can’t double check rn) for the first time in a decade. She’s just released an album full of healing 

So to me it makes perfect sense to use VG as a closer now. A) it shows full circle how far she’s come from those days when she couldn’t sing it without breaking down and B) with all the self-reflection she’s done on family and friends and so on, the lines don’t HAVE to be about a partner anymore. To me, when she says “it’s you, it’s you, it’s all for you…” she’s saying it to her fans and loved ones, because THEY are the ones she lives for now. And also for herself! I like to think she’s addressing past Lizzy on the stage of Arlene’s Grocery with her lil guitar telling her… this is for you, too, kid.

(I haven’t taken my mood stabilisers yet so please excuse me.)

So she’s sending her fans back out into the world after her performance telling them… this was for y’all. I think it fits beautifully. 

(In the same vein I think Get Free would also work, but VG ties the whole healing shit together better) 

this was a little bit messy, sure, but still one of her best performances, can't wait how it just gets better with each show

with that being said  - she will probably cut flipside off the setlist and we CAN'T let that happen