My first thought at the "watching teenage diary of a girl" line was this movie honestly 

MV5BMjE4MTQ3NTgwOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDQ3NTc5NTE@._V1_.jpg

I also think the line could be more introspective with it being about Lana looking through her own teenage diaries, hence the "wondering what went wrong" line. This whole song is just so lyrically interesting. It feels very loaded despite the seeming simplicity

imageproxy.jpg

2 minutes ago, ShadesOfFool said:

Is she saying maimed or raped??

Raped

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Women using the word "raped" in songs is so powerful to me. I feel like it's something that a lot of listeners, particularly male listeners, may find jarring. But personally, I find it refreshing to hear an artist like Lana do it if that is the case. I think the mentioned subtleness of it is quite interesting, so it really could be maimed as well and I think the meaning of the lyrics would hold the same weight. Especially in the verse the word is used in. It reminds me a lot of Hole's "Asking For It" 

imageproxy.jpg

i hear maimed but i assume it’s ambiguous purposefully

Spoiler

but i kind of don’t hear “raped” at all — although i think this is the kind of lyrical difference that doesn’t need to be debated, because the meaning derived from it is so powerful that it hardly matters what the original lyric is

sUcVobB.png

2 hours ago, Peppers said:

She's clearly saying Jimmy Jimmy coco puff not Shimmy Shimmy ko-ko-bop :toofloppy:

It's a Tom Hanks reference

She even sings the Jimmy Jimmy ride part, which isn't in Shimmy Shimmy Ko-Ko-Bop

But Hanks is clearly saying Shimmy Shimmy

Which is taken from the clapping game Down Down Baby

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

10 minutes ago, honeybadger said:

i hear maimed but i assume it’s ambiguous purposefully

Reveal hidden contents

but i kind of don’t hear “raped” at all — although i think this is the kind of lyrical difference that doesn’t need to be debated, because the meaning derived from it is so powerful that it hardly matters what the original lyric is

I didn't either at first but the line saying "didn't testify, already fucked up my story" kinda gives it away :/

16 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:

the raped  line reminds me of fiona apple’s ‘for her’ where she sings “well good morning, good morning, you raped me in the same bed your daughter was born in” 

I was literally thinking this. That song is so powerful 

ocean blvd & american whore despite sonically n stylistically being way out of one another's league, lyrically & thematically crossover very well imo & im glad she chose them as the first two singles

i feel like "open me up, tell me you like it/me, fuck me to death" obviously ties into a&w perfectly- using sex as a means of validation, a way to fill certain voids/diminish insecurities

an obvious difference however is the "love me until i love myself" to "it isn't about having someone to love me anymore, this is the experience of being an american whore"

almost as if her state of mind on that matter completely shifted in the period between creating the two songs 

"I mean, look at my hair- look at the length of it there & the shape of my body
If I told you that I was raped, do you really think that anybody would think I didn't ask for it, didn't ask for it?"

feels like a sister lyric to "I can't help but feel somewhat like my body marred my soul, handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls"

both touch on the same very real notion that society struggles to look past the surface level when it comes to a woman, women are reduced & diminished down to their anatomy/age/clothing & their basic humanity gets destroyed this process.

other than that, she touches on her conflicts with both the press/public & her own mother, which likely are where a lot of the deeper wounds she sings of stem from, leading to her searching for a sort of "closure" to them through her loves / lovemaking (expressed in both tracks again) 

tldr- random thoughts,  i appreciate how both the singles sort of bounce off each other, looking fwd to the great feast of the 24th!!!!!