Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

Disclaimer: Following Judah's interlude ending disclaimer, this post will be more about slang than LDR or Ocean Blvd.

Took me awhile to formulate opinions (and keep up to date with the post-release thread). I think OB is easily Norman quality and I'd rate it high (although I like BB more than NFR, especially since she's shaded/dissed BB recently). I'd describe OB as an emotional scrapbook or mobile (that decorative thingee), as some songs seem yoked, or balance each other off. You can also think of the overall album structure as symphonic-like, with songs coming in coherent stretches of mood.  So the spacey/trancey, topic-compatible Kintsugi/Fingertips, is stuck in the middle as a kind of slow movement, between more dynamic sections. The opening 3 songs are wholesome/family-oriented and define a retro movement, being gospel and two pre-rock-era torch songs. The stretch from A&W to JBI is an existential-nausea movement (and I like the proggy elements), dealing with not-so-wholesome ideas/activities, with JSI turning up there, as a curious balance to the JBI, the latter something like a drug trip description? Classic LDR wtf stuff. The 4 songs after K/F, Paris through Margaret, are lighter. Paris (Texas) balances Margaret, as both songs are opposite topic-wise. Finally, the last tracks are more rambunctious, as last movements usually are. Fishtails evolves to Peppers, as does Taco Truck to VB. The VB reprise was cool, imo, especially if it means that the stretch of albums from NFR to OB form a complete arc (i.e., VB being used as a "reminiscenza", as with symphonies that end with themes that refer to the first movement). What's good about that interpretation is she's about to start a different album arc. However, the reworking was actually good enough, to have it preserved, as a kind of acid-flashback, which her lyrics somewhat suggest. I really wonder whether this version of the VB outro was earlier than the NFR-version (receipts?).

random ravings: 

I get trippy double-image effects throughout, where I'm not sure if she's talking about dead people, boyfriends, dying/getting boyfriends, or all at the same time. So the Grants start off pleading with a guy, but turns out to be more interested in taking family memories when she "goes". Is "when's it gonna be my turn" in OB referring to a stable relationship (as suggested by the word "love"), or the"taking of memories" stuff (suggested by the word "death")? In Kintsugi does "daddy, I miss them" refer to dead people or boyfriends; I'm guessing both here, given she name-checks Donoghue (a first in a released song?).

Let the Light In & Fishtails give me Barrie-vibes a bit, not with respect to his music, but more about him. Also I couldn't find Cold Coffee (his first album, which deals with his breakup with her) on Amazon or Itunes, and in Spotify it's greyed out. So I'm wondering why he's AKA'ed that album. Hopefully it's temporary.

The idea of LDR writing new song verses on top of older, other-artist songs was unsettling at first; however, the results for the 3 songs here were tremendous. BTW, Playing Dangerous is also a great example of this (Gato Barbieri, who scored Last Tango in Paris (not Texas), plus a catchy sampled drum solo from somewhere, to which she added, impressive original melodies). The not-so-familiar-features strategy (along with familiar ones: FJM, JB, and "Bleachers"), as well as the interesting feature approach, may work in her favor regarding AOTY prospects, if she's nominated. Winning means all participants get a grammy, and an underdog-seeming album, with some obscure-ish -- but substantially used-- features, might be favored in voting populations.

7 minutes ago, Veinsineon said:

“A&W” has now officially surpassed 50 MILLION streams on Spotify.  It's Lana’s fastest solo song to achieve this milestone.

When-Littlefinger-Talking-Bran-About-Hel

that's crazy :wowcry:

it's also crazy to me that she initially didn't want to release it as a single :bebe:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

does anyone know the relation between the two parts in A&W? i think i heard jack say that they had that this demo of the Jimmy part laying around and they just thought it sounded nice alongside American Whore.

but is there some actual correlation between the two parts? and what exactly is the Jimmy part of the song even about…? :stareney2:

6 minutes ago, sparklertrailerheaven said:

does anyone know the relation between the two parts in A&W? i think i heard jack say that they had that this demo of the Jimmy part laying around and they just thought it sounded nice alongside American Whore.

but is there some actual correlation between the two parts? and what exactly is the Jimmy part of the song even about…? :stareney2:

I have no idea, but giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d76d3d49a4a9f2927ec5

2 hours ago, Cherry Blossom said:

white fire, cinnamon on my teeth...

astrollc.gif

And I'm sittin' at the stoplight northern town..
I feel luckyyyyyyy :flutter:

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

40 minutes ago, sparklertrailerheaven said:

i think the Jimmy part is just symbolic of someone who was kind of on "the edge" finally giving into the chaos & going over that edge- it sounds wild & fun but also unsettling & dark.

"Jimmy only love me when he wanna get high" could correlate directly to the situation/guy she sings of in the first part, who calls her behind his wife/gfs back, just to fuck really- so he's getting a sexual "high" from using her for his pleasure.

aside from Jimmy representing the toxic man, it might also represent toxic substances like alcohol/drugs as it has in her previous works, i'm sure that also plays a role in it

idk ... tldr...  to me it just gives someone who is hopeless af after being so devalued & degraded by someone who was meant to love them- nothing left to lose vibes, fuck it, nothing matters - i'll have sex with this person to feel something, i'll party at the club to feel something, i'll drink alcohol to feel something etc etc

"i don't care baby, i already lost my mind"

:sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2:

7 hours ago, ShadesOfViolence said:

y'all hear everything but the reality at this point

LOL pls don’t get me wrong it’s obviously a baroque pop song but there are at least some post rock influences :shh2: just listen to any GYBE and Sigur Ros song…they’re definitely there. The swelling guitars, the layered rock instruments leaning towards an electronica sound, the build up and mini-crescendo - its not a post rock song by itself (it still follows conventional verse chorus structure, is vocal dominated, it’s extremely short, etc) but the sounds and textures are there at least as influences, especially in that gorgeous last chorus..either way lana always has at least one or two songs per album exploring a new genre fir her and isn’t really a stretch to say she explored this 

sgopYhV.gif

1 hour ago, burthday kake said:

idk ... tldr...  to me it just gives someone who is hopeless af after being so devalued & degraded by someone who was meant to love them- nothing left to lose vibes, fuck it, nothing matters - i'll have sex with this person to feel something, i'll party at the club to feel something, i'll drink alcohol to feel something etc etc

"i don't care baby, i already lost my mind"

:sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2::sadcore2:

thisss, also i believe the title track tackles the same situation but just in a different light.

sex plays a major role in those two tracks - in the title track she sings “open me up, tell me you like it/me, fuck me to death, love me until i love myself” which goes to show just how desperate lana is for love, wishing to get it either physically or emotionally from this man. it seems like she can never get both, as she’s clearly yearning for actual LOVE and not sex by saying “love me until i love myself”. it sounds like she’s pleading for this deep emotional connection, and with “fuck me to death” she’s saying how she’s so used to not feeling anything from relationships and she needs the intensity (the death part) so she can actually feel someone’s love. it’s almost like shes desensitized to the actual feeling and if she doesn’t get to experience the extreme, she may never feel anything

for a&w, she outright says “it’s not about having someone to love me anymore”, having come to terms with her inability to be loved by these (ungrateful and gross) men and she’s settling for the minimum, which is sex. she calls herself an american whore because it seems like that’s all she’s good for since the men she’s with can’t handle a relationship with her. 

the jimmy part is a switch up which can represent the switch between yearning for a connection and acceptance of not having it fully. very very interesting topic she decided to address! i feel many can relate to this (sadly) :pft:

5 minutes ago, drugsdesire said:

thisss, also i believe the title track tackles the same situation but just in a different light.

sex plays a major role in those two tracks - in the title track she sings “open me up, tell me you like it/me, fuck me to death, love me until i love myself” which goes to show just how desperate lana is for love, wishing to get it either physically or emotionally from this man. it seems like she can never get both, as she’s clearly yearning for actual LOVE and not sex by saying “love me until i love myself”. it sounds like she’s pleading for this deep emotional connection, and with “fuck me to death” she’s saying how she’s so used to not feeling anything from relationships and she needs the intensity (the death part) so she can actually feel someone’s love. it’s almost like shes desensitized to the actual feeling and if she doesn’t get to experience the extreme, she may never feel anything

for a&w, she outright says “it’s not about having someone to love me anymore”, having come to terms with her inability to be loved by these (ungrateful and gross) men and she’s settling for the minimum, which is sex. she calls herself an american whore because it seems like that’s all she’s good for since the men she’s with can’t handle a relationship with her. 

the jimmy part is a switch up which can represent the switch between yearning for a connection and acceptance of not having it fully. very very interesting topic she decided to address! i feel many can relate to this (sadly) :pft:

i have nothing more to add, you nailed it !!:cryney2: