Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

8 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

I don't really feel this. Ocean Blvd feels bigger than Blue Banisters but we still got only one MV, which has only 2 million views (despite it's one of her best). All other eras like Honeymoon, Lust For Life or even Chemtrails feel bigger and more defining for me. 

Yeah but I feel like this era really put Lana the person/musician herself on the level she deserves. She's easily a "main pop girl" now, as I said before, arguably the biggest female singer beside Taylor and SZA. And I don't think it's coincidence that this is happening during the Ocean Blvd era, which is an amazing and acclaimed record that put her "back to form".

At the end of the year A&W will be topping all year end lists

forever in awe of this record… it might be my favourite album of hers. it’s so magical, personal, sad, fun, beautiful, EVERYTHING! 

i gotta admit this era has been super dry in terms of visuals, but with a beautiful record like this, i don’t mind as much as i would if for example blue banisters had no visuals. i love that album but honestly if we didn’t have the arcadia mv or the bb mv i’d feel like we got robbed. super excited to see her perform though, even though i’m not going it’s always nice to see lana on stage via pictures and videos :) hopefully we get one or two more music videos, but even if we didn’t it’s fine

2 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

Yeah but I feel like this era really put Lana the person/musician herself on the level she deserves. She's easily a "main pop girl" now, as I said before, arguably the biggest female singer beside Taylor and SZA. And I don't think it's coincidence that this is happening during the Ocean Blvd era, which is an amazing and acclaimed record that put her "back to form".

I 100% agree. When Lana takes two years to fully create and write a brand new record with all new songs it is always amazing. 

4 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

idk, her last solo high-charting song was SYTH and it's not from the album. Apart from that Ocean Blvd sold well and streaming numbers aren't bad, but you forgot pop artists like Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eillish, Beyoncé, Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande , who seem to be in a different league with their last albums. Lana also profits a lot from her first albums and famous collabs with The Weekend and Taylor. If you take alone her last three albums, she would fall much more behind.

Lana is a good alternative music artist but not really mainstream or radio pop. Nevertheless, she has a big global fan community.

32 minutes ago, Good Intentions said:

idk, her last solo high-charting song was SYTH and it's not from the album. Apart from that Ocean Blvd sold well and streaming numbers aren't bad, but you forgot pop artists like Olivia Rodrigo, Billie Eillish, Beyoncé, Dua Lipa, Selena Gomez or Ariana Grande , who seem to be in a different league with their last albums. Lana also profits a lot from her first albums and famous collabs with The Weekend and Taylor. If you take alone her last three albums, she would fall much more behind.

Lana is a good alternative music artist but not really mainstream or radio pop. Nevertheless, she has a big global fan community.

I do respect your opinion then.

The only thing I could say is that if you delete her last three albums, she would still be one of the most streamed and the most streamed alternative artist.

This record is transformative, and I have really had the chance to sit with it for the last 3 months and absorb it completely. It touches upon her experiences both as a woman in her thirties AND as a star whose legacy is now being solidified to the point where you can look back at all her albums and revel in their grandeur, impact on culture, and contribution to her own life's narrative. The release of this one has made me revisit every other record and appreciate it for what it represented for Lana (and her listeners) at the time, but also see it as part of her history without any comparison to be made between the respective albums. I especially realized that this was the case when we saw Lana watch her entire career retrospective unfold in front her during the Ride monologue at Glastonbury. Her facial expressions and the crowd behind her while her entire career was showcased was so cinematic and impactful, but I digress – the point is that Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd represents so much more than just what is shared on the 16-track album. The real beauty of it is found by synthesizing what she states in each song and what she leaves unstated for us to read in between the lines. 

Spoiler

And I think Candy Necklace is one of the best things she's ever done.
 de75b1db3b45be45a4b1dd476210e14d78813eea.gif

54 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

This record is transformative, and I have really had the chance to sit with it for the last 3 months and absorb it completely. It touches upon her experiences both as a woman in her thirties AND as a star whose legacy is now being solidified to the point where you can look back at all her albums and revel in their grandeur, impact on culture, and contribution to her own life's narrative. The release of this one has made me revisit every other record and appreciate it for what it represented for Lana (and her listeners) at the time, but also see it as part of her history without any comparison to be made between the respective albums. I especially realized that this was the case when we saw Lana watch her entire career retrospective unfold in front her during the Ride monologue at Glastonbury. Her facial expressions and the crowd behind her while her entire career was showcased was so cinematic and impactful, but I digress – the point is that Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd represents so much more than just what is shared on the 16-track album. The real beauty of it is found by synthesizing what she states in each song and what she leaves unstated for us to read in between the lines. 

Reveal hidden contents

And I think Candy Necklace is one of the best things she's ever done.
 de75b1db3b45be45a4b1dd476210e14d78813eea.gif

Oh god, I need a bigger "like" button for posts like this one. I agree 100%, this album won't end up as her most successful or biggest, but definitely the most commemorative of her career. It's the album Lana was born to write and produce and record and release.

It's slowly becoming my favorite album of hers, alongside Honeymoon and Norman.

4 hours ago, PARADIXO said:

I do respect your opinion then.

The only thing I could say is that if you delete her last three albums, she would still be one of the most streamed and the most streamed alternative artist.

I agree that Lana is currently one of the most streamed artists overall. Her albums and songs have a longer lasting success. But look at Olivia Rodrigo's new single, for example, which was released yesterday and has almost 10 million daily streams on Spotify.  No single from Ocean Blvd has ever come close to that.

On 7/1/2023 at 7:59 PM, Good Intentions said:

I don't really feel this. Ocean Blvd feels bigger than Blue Banisters but we still got only one MV, which has only 2 million views (despite it's one of her best). All other eras like Honeymoon, Lust For Life or even Chemtrails feel bigger and more defining for me. 

chemtrails def wasnt bigger than ob. Covid era album with a disappointing lead single, lessor reviews than norman and no hit songs. It was the first lana album without a hit song on billboard 100. Plus, bb followed it right after and it had even worse singles.

at least ob gave us an interview with eilish, glastonbury, festivals, controversies, aw bubbling under 100, say yes to heaven's success, an epic first single and an iconic mv (fuck people not watching, they have terrible taste and mvs are dying anyway.)

i don't think ob is a defining era like norman was but it's certainly a step back in the right direction. I feel like lana's next album is gonna be defining.

21 hours ago, rosemead ramada said:

I'm still waiting for the glitch pop version of candy necklace :um2:

It was most probably the vinyl glitching and skipping Candy Necklace as other attendants at the London listening party did not mention the song at all

ladel96.gif

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

I might be insane but I keep hearing "It's like Camarillo only seven minutes running down the corridor" not "silver mirrors" in the live performances of this song. And there's definitely an "n" sound by a background singer in the studio version. Is there a real source for the lyrics to the title track?

1 minute ago, rosemeadexclusivebbnewyorkcity said:

I might be insane but I keep hearing "It's like Camarillo only seven minutes running down the corridor" not "silver mirrors" in the live performances of this song. And there's definitely an "n" sound by a background singer in the studio version. Is there a real source for the lyrics to the title track?

If there’s one thing we’ve learned it’s to not trust the background singers on OB :legend:

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.