Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

This might be controversial cus I'm about to bash two Lana's albums, but if Lana hadn't released COCK AND BLUE BLANDISTERS and Ocean Blvd was the album that came out right after Norman, it would've gotten a higher MC score. Critics just got tired of two mid albums.

Ocean Blvd DOES feel like Norman's sister. 

Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters GIF - Lana Del Rey Gods And Monsters -  Discover & Share GIFsin medias res: Gods and Monsters, Lana Del Rey

1 hour ago, Pink Flamingo said:

Critics just got tired of two mid albums.

But COTCC and Banisters got critical acclaim from the music critics though. Ocean Blvd too. In fact COTCC had the highest score out of these three albums too, her second most acclaimed after Norman.

But I do agree that Ocean Blvd is kinda like Norman's sister.

url%5D

Haven't listened to this album track by track in like a month, it's gonna be a collapse tonight:trisha::lange:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

On 9/8/2023 at 3:00 PM, daphnedinkley said:

i cannot be the only Grandfather stan on this forum. i can't be.

The guy I used to date (and I've never dated someone so long as him) until a month ago loved Grandfather and we listened to it together a few times, haven't touched the song since but giving it another chance tonight,  it's too good to be ruined by some man :oprah3:

But I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more streams & appreciation though , thought it would be a overall favourite

Grandfather fans better rise :gurl:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

2 hours ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

The guy I used to date (and I've never dated someone so long as him) until a month ago loved Grandfather and we listened to it together a few times, haven't touched the song since but giving it another chance tonight,  it's too good to be ruined by some man :oprah3:

But I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more streams & appreciation though , thought it would be a overall favourite

you deserve to enjoy Grandfather again!!! :read:  Grandfather Please Stand On The Shoulders Of Our Ocean Boulevard While He's Deep Sea Fishing (for a good looking rebound)

hope you're doing okay hun :heart:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

2 hours ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

best of luck!

On 9/10/2023 at 7:30 AM, Pink Flamingo said:

This might be controversial cus I'm about to bash two Lana's albums, but if Lana hadn't released COCK AND BLUE BLANDISTERS and Ocean Blvd was the album that came out right after Norman, it would've gotten a higher MC score. Critics just got tired of two mid albums.

NFR is for me a hundred times more "mid" than COTCC or BB. Both of the latter had cohesiveness, a defining sound and aesthetic, none of which I've been able to found on NFR even 4 years after its release. Not a hater of the album, but I think its just nonsense to say that its sucessors are worse.

just some thoughts but in my head: BTD and COCC, UV and BB, Honeymoon and OB are sisters.

Born to Die and COCC explore the American dream differently. BTD has a more grandiose glamour big city feel whereas COCC has a more more down to earth small/rural town feel. UV and Blue Banisters have a melancholic reminiscent sound.

Honeymoon feels like the end of one era, while Ocean Blvd sums up her journey. i think this is also why she them as Insta accounts. it’s all about transitions and new beginnings. 

LFL and NFR feel like the actual transitions that look back on american culture and eras. LFL is the closer and NFR opens to the new era

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

fishtail is the only one I listen to regularly. Don't get me wrong. They're all lovely and perfect. But gosh they're emotionally heavy and cathartic. And fishtail is too but its such a bop. The future of pop music if pop knows whats up. It could be as formative and definitive  for the 20's as btd was to the 10's. Again, if they know what's up. when you know you know

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

8 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

you deserve to enjoy Grandfather again!!! :read:  Grandfather Please Stand On The Shoulders Of Our Ocean Boulevard While He's Deep Sea Fishing (for a good looking rebound)

hope you're doing okay hun :heart:

8 hours ago, Pedriko said:

best of luck!

Aww thank you guys :kiss2:

Actually it made me first a bit nostalgic of the times we had but I could enjoy it again. It's such a beautiful and wonderful song:wub: the song also  still feels kinda epic in a way

The instrumental towards the end literal made me feel like I'm sitting at a beach and see the ocean , definetly understand why RIOPY said he saw liquid blue while he listened to it & I have to listen to this one next time I'm at the sea:wowcry:

Grandfather should be considered a classic :oprah3:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

10 hours ago, Ocean Boulevard said:

I loved the song when I first heard it. Felt like a Norman Fucking Rockwell outtake that would have fit perfectly on it.

But then two things: it's kind of out of place on Ocean Boulevard. The production, the lyrics, the vibe: it doesn't correlate with anything else on the record. Except maybe thematically (family). So, it's not the song I go to when I want to listen to the record.

Secondly, it just doesn't have much staying power. It's a great song, but kind of wears out after 5-10 listens. Not sure what it is about it. 

7 hours ago, sjatib said:

NFR is for me a hundred times more "mid" than COTCC or BB. Both of the latter had cohesiveness, a defining sound and aesthetic, none of which I've been able to found on NFR even 4 years after its release. Not a hater of the album, but I think its just nonsense to say that its sucessors are worse.

You're probably the only person in the world who feels this way though. Norman has way better reviews, streams and accolades than any of the successor. Pretty much everyone considers it an American classic. Also, BB a cohesive record? Um, okay

10 hours ago, sjatib said:

2 hours ago, barttttender said:

I loved the song when I first heard it. Felt like a Norman Fucking Rockwell outtake that would have fit perfectly on it.

But then two things: it's kind of out of place on Ocean Boulevard. The production, the lyrics, the vibe: it doesn't correlate with anything else on the record. Except maybe thematically (family). So, it's not the song I go to when I want to listen to the record.

Secondly, it just doesn't have much staying power. It's a great song, but kind of wears out after 5-10 listens. Not sure what it is about it. 

You're probably the only person in the world who feels this way though. Norman has way better reviews, streams and accolades than any of the successor. Pretty much everyone considers it an American classic. Also, BB a cohesive record? Um, okay

No hate, like everyone can have their own opinions and have different tastes but I'm just shocked reading these in fact these opinions are very different too...:oprah2:

url%5D