Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

i love how lyrically she is begging for everyone’s attention with this album 

it’s like testing the viewer/listener to actually pay attention to what she’s saying. and if you don’t, you completely miss it. it’s quite brilliant and risky in the time of tiktok where everyone wants info lightening fast. 

Just now, paradisetropico said:

i love how she is begging for everyone’s attention with this album 

it’s like testing the viewer/listener to actually pay attention to what she’s saying. it’s quite brilliant and risky in the time of tiktok where everyone wants info lightening fast. 

Fingertips is the all time anti-tiktok song - you can try to take parts of it out of context, but you just end up looking like an idiot.

It's also the worst album to expect people to understand on first listen, which is why I hope the genius behind the reviewer's 'listening party' in the UK gets sent back to business school by the label. Just thinking about how this record would easily be an 85 on metacritic if the label had sent out copies instead, makes me mad.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

8 minutes ago, paradisetropico said:

i love how lyrically she is begging for everyone’s attention with this album 

it’s like testing the viewer/listener to actually pay attention to what she’s saying. and if you don’t, you completely miss it. it’s quite brilliant and risky in the time of tiktok where everyone wants info lightening fast. 

huh??

glitterfy3004543T778B81.gif

1 minute ago, longtimeman said:

Fingertips is the all time anti-tiktok song - you can try to take parts of it out of context, but you just end up looking like an idiot.

It's also the worst album to expect people to understand on first listen, which is why I hope the genius behind the reviewer's 'listening party' in the UK gets sent back to business school by the label. Just thinking about how this record would easily be an 85 on metacritic if the label had sent out copies instead, makes me mad.

you completely read my mind, on fingertips a light went on in my mind. it’s so powerful and reveals so much with each word and intention but you have to truly be listening … i still don’t understand why she censored the “mother” line but i’m sure she has her reasonings (rob still being married to her maybe) but there is no passive room to listen like with NFR or LFL & it’ll be interesting what songs resonate a few months from now with the GeneralPublic

6 minutes ago, Hejira87 said:

She's not "Begging" for attention. 

omg you’re missing my point…

not begging in a bad way… begging in a subtle way to understand what the metaphor of being sealed up and forgotten means… 

she’s literally asking ppl to use their brain cells … the album is like a tunnel and it so beautiful.  unlike most songs on the radio you are immediately passively listening to a beat and lyric. i don’t mean it in a bad way , someone find a synonym for begging 

in order to understand the album you have to be paying attention. you can’t subtlety listen. 

u know how people say the leaks we get foreshadow the sound of the next record? welp looks like ldr10 will be a soft rock masterpiece:nails:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

Celebrities who have stanned the album so far

1. Taylor Swift
  2. Caroline Polachek
  3. Rosalía 
  4. Halsey
  5. Kendall Kenner
  6. Lili Reinhart
  7. Manu Rios
  8. Finneas 
  9. Adam Sandler

have I missed anybody?

We need to thread this. That's so cool. :wub:

19 minutes ago, longtimeman said:

It's also the worst album to expect people to understand on first listen, which is why I hope the genius behind the reviewer's 'listening party' in the UK gets sent back to business school by the label.

Yeah, that was a horrifying move from her team. Listening to a new Lana album in a room full of strangers? Allowing people to leave while the album is playing? And playing the album once over a boombox

Beyond cringe.

15 minutes ago, paradisetropico said:

you completely read my mind, on fingertips a light went on in my mind. it’s so powerful and reveals so much with each word and intention but you have to truly be listening … i still don’t understand why she censored the “mother” line but i’m sure she has her reasonings (rob still being married to her maybe) but there is no passive room to listen like with NFR or LFL & it’ll be interesting what songs resonate a few months from now with the GeneralPublic

I was on Reddit (not the official Lana subreddit one but a general discussion thread for Ocean Blvd.) and somebody was matter of factly talking about  how Rob’s not married to Patty anymore and that Lana actually gets along really well with her step mother….

Like…? lol nobody even called them out either

Just now, Brightsun said:
  Reveal hidden contents

label never had this version i have the label wav file if you want but not this radio version maybe the radio edited it

Spoiler

We aren't allowed to share the regular wav here. It does seem like the radio edited it themselves and it's not an official version.

12 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Hide contents

We aren't allowed to share the regular wav here. It does seem like the radio edited it themselves and it's not an official version.

Spoiler

if you want the label wav file dm sis

yeah i don't think the label received this version unless they never uploaded it to their employers :prettyhurts:

Mod note: User was warned for this post.

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

I was on Reddit (not the official Lana subreddit one but a general discussion thread for Ocean Blvd.) and somebody was matter of factly talking about  how Rob’s not married to Patty anymore and that Lana actually gets along really well with her step mother….

Like…? lol nobody even called them out either

that’s odd? idk , but back when chuck had her baby, i was driving down sunset blvd and there was patty and rob outside at a table having a glass of wine… i think she and lana just do not associate. (speculation) 

1 hour ago, Xenoblade 2 said:

Deluxe boost sales not split them, hence their existence. It’s literally another variant with bonus songs.

Only if they're released alongside the standard version. Releasing it later would do nothing for first week sales, which are most important. Maybe "split" was the wrong word, but I think you see what I mean. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

10 minutes ago, Brightsun said:
  Reveal hidden contents

if you want the label wav file dm sis

yeah i don't think the label received this version unless they never uploaded it to their employers :prettyhurts:

Mod note: User was warned for this post.

Please don’t do this, thank you!

tumblr-offofn-R8-LN1qj7kyho1-640.gif

.・゜゜・ ⋆·˚ ༘ * GIVE PEACE A CHANCE  ˚ ༘ ⋆。˚ ・゜゜・.

JuMwBvF.png

I legit saw the 9 coming lol. I actually do think it's her most skillful work, edging out NFR. "Best" is too subjective. I get why Fantano trashes her early albums -- they are more reliant on vibe and aesthetic, and so if you're too nerdbrained like him you won't enjoy/relate to them. Her last 4 albums move away from this to more universal themes and objectively brilliant songwriting. And imo OB is by far her most thoughtful work in terms of how the songs progress and interconnect to tell a larger story.

... also, I have this suspicion that after his divorce he might be more in his feelings and vulnerable to lana's spell. 

two more thoughts:

1. I notice many fans consider it out of the question for OB to be better than NFR. I'm not saying it is -- time will tell -- but it's worth considering. I think NFR gets a positive bias because it was SUCH a leap forward for her that it had an extra wow factor. 
2. I really appreciate lana including the last 3 tracks for the fans. It was obvious from a mile away the score would take a hit from critics for these songs. But for those of us who have appreciated her across her different eras, they were such a treat. I don't even consider them that out of place. They fit in the emotional journey of the album from a place of hurt/vulnerability, to healing, to a sexy/confident ride off into the sunset. Like A&W drives home earlier, Lana contains multitudes and contradictions. She's grown so much yet she's still that bitch, and I love her for that.