Sign in to follow this  
baddisease

The Missing Titanic Submarine Was Using A $30 Video Game Controller

24 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

didnt james cameron go and see the titanic for inspiration before filming? 

He has been to wreck many times, for the film and for research.  But the difference is he went down in a much more advanced and safer submersible.  Not something made of carbon alloy (more prone to hull breach)  and controlled by a game’s controller. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

2 hours ago, Dior said:

I think the conversation focuses too much on the dislike of wealthy people and not the lack of government regulations and standards. How in the world was this mission approved? You can go to prison for bringing a firearm you own into another state or posessing marijuana but somehow this guy was allowed to legally put all these people's lives at risk. 

The conversation has been, rightfully so, concentrated on the aspect of wealth because of the sheer mobilization and coverage on them. Meanwhile, boats carrying hundreds of refugees in the Mediterranean sea have capsized within the same timeframe, with many people feared dead and missing, while coast guards of neighbouring countries ignore them and even outright reject carrying out rescue efforts. Humanitarian organizations are usually the ones out there doing rescue missions and yet, once they get to land they get arrested. There's a bleak contrast between how 24/7 news coverage and rescue efforts have been done for 5 people who, thanks to their privilegued status within our system, have spend a copious amount of money in a suicide vanity mission to see a ship wreckage where 1,500 people died hundreds of years ago, while within the same week, a boat carrying about 750 refugees and asylum seekers escaping war and famine capsized, with a death toll rising by the minute, has been practically overshadowed and not given the same importance in rescuing those people.

There are regulations and standards in place for deep sea excursions/exploration, many professionals have been commenting on it and given their opinions/criticism based on their professional experience, the founder just decided to ignore them because, well, he was rich and decided to cut corners and ''innovate'', which sadly resulted in the fatalities. I don't think there's more to it, it's a clear warning to anybody else trying to do the same.

The same attention and rescue efforts should be given to everybody in need.

Those summer nights seem long ago
And so is the girl you used to call
The queen of New York City

6 hours ago, racecar said:

It was. They did not even realize they are dying. It is happening in less than a second. 

they probably heard the hull bending for a short moment before being instantly murdered in an implosion 

sadge, at least it was painless

2 minutes ago, Semafori said:

they probably heard the hull bending for a short moment before being instantly murdered in an implosion 

sadge, at least it was painless

I’ve heard in interviews this sub had sensors that went off once the hull started to crack, so they were definitely alerted to what was happening before it happened. It was probably super quick tho. 
I guess James Cameron was saying a lot of people in the know are speculating that when the sensors went off, the sub dropped its weights and was trying to ascend to the surface but didn’t make it. 

4 hours ago, genghis khan said:

I think Dior used the wrong word. But at the end of the day, the inevitability of death is just the tragedy of life we will all face. Those two were in each other's embrace. It's not the absolute worse way to go. 

Most people do not have a will to power so the negative replies to my comment are not surprising. He died doing something dangerous for his dad and with his family. I rather die knowing I did something dangerous for my family and I'll be in the history books than alone, bedridden in a nursing home. Because most people naturally lack a will to power 90% of people die in the latter way.  

3 hours ago, Velours said:

The conversation has been, rightfully so, concentrated on the aspect of wealth because of the sheer mobilization and coverage on them. Meanwhile, boats carrying hundreds of refugees in the Mediterranean sea have capsized within the same timeframe, with many people feared dead and missing, while coast guards of neighbouring countries ignore them and even outright reject carrying out rescue efforts. Humanitarian organizations are usually the ones out there doing rescue missions and yet, once they get to land they get arrested. There's a bleak contrast between how 24/7 news coverage and rescue efforts have been done for 5 people who, thanks to their privilegued status within our system, have spend a copious amount of money in a suicide vanity mission to see a ship wreckage where 1,500 people died hundreds of years ago, while within the same week, a boat carrying about 750 refugees and asylum seekers escaping war and famine capsized, with a death toll rising by the minute, has been practically overshadowed and not given the same importance in rescuing those people.

There are regulations and standards in place for deep sea excursions/exploration, many professionals have been commenting on it and given their opinions/criticism based on their professional experience, the founder just decided to ignore them because, well, he was rich and decided to cut corners and ''innovate'', which sadly resulted in the fatalities. I don't think there's more to it, it's a clear warning to anybody else trying to do the same.

Velours, the multiple non sequiturs in your post are confusing me. The refugee crisis is a political issue concerning the government. I am not sure if we are lost in translation but your post is very obtuse. 

The idea that anyone should spend their money a certain way because the government does a poor job at handling a political issue such as a refugee crisis is a little ridiculous. Also the reason the story is getting attention is because people are interested in it. Look to the fact this thread has lot of replies and social media talking. 

1 hour ago, Dior said:

Velours, the multiple non sequiturs in your post are confusing me. The refugee crisis is a political issue concerning the government. I am not sure if we are lost in translation but your post is very obtuse. 

The idea that anyone should spend their money a certain way because the government does a poor job at handling a political issue such as a refugee crisis is a little ridiculous. Also the reason the story is getting attention is because people are interested in it. Look to the fact this thread has lot of replies and social media talking. 

I think the relation is a sea rescue vs. another sea rescue. But yeah, people will always be interested in something they haven't heard about before.

I think from @Velourspost, it's still interesting to point out that while one disaster on the ocean is because of people not having enough money and wanting a better life in a country that may allow them more resources vs. The other disaster being allowed because of someone with too much money and resources, and people with too much money paying to use it. One situation didn't have the resources to make a safe trip because it was life or death. The other did but chose to cut corners for the fun of it. 

Edit: also the very core of both of these problems are political and legal right? Government not doing enough for people, and loopholing through safety regulations? 

1 hour ago, Ultra Violet said:

I think the relation is a sea rescue vs. another sea rescue. But yeah, people will always be interested in something they haven't heard about before.

I think from @Velourspost, it's still interesting to point out that while one disaster on the ocean is because of people not having enough money and wanting a better life in a country that may allow them more resources vs. The other disaster being allowed because of someone with too much money and resources, and people with too much money paying to use it. One situation didn't have the resources to make a safe trip because it was life or death. The other did but chose to cut corners for the fun of it. 

Edit: also the very core of both of these problems are political and legal right? Government not doing enough for people, and loopholing through safety regulations? 

This is developing into a conversation into how much responsibility the government has in preventing people from doing reckless things (such as drunk driving) and to what degree is it the government's responsibility to bail people out of risky situations. Intention or how much money has someone has is negligible.

In the case of the migrants and the submarine people they both paid for a risky endeavor. If you ask me, in both situations people took very risky decisions to dessert themselves in a body of water. Money and resources are better spent helping out people with a multitude of issues. 

If I knowing jump into a lion's den, should someone expect someone to risk their lives to rescue me? My philosophy is no but of course opinions will vary. 

So anyways: the Titanic is cursed, confirmed

Do not attempt any Titanic-related activities whatsoever other than the production of a movie based on the curse cos yeah, I'd watch that and the more exaggerated the plot, the better

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

2 hours ago, Dior said:

This is developing into a conversation into how much responsibility the government has in preventing people from doing reckless things (such as drunk driving) and to what degree is it the government's responsibility to bail people out of risky situations. 

I didn't think so but ok haha. I was just brainstorming the connection and liked the differing points.

14 hours ago, Velours said:

The conversation has been, rightfully so, concentrated on the aspect of wealth because of the sheer mobilization and coverage on them. Meanwhile, boats carrying hundreds of refugees in the Mediterranean sea have capsized within the same timeframe, with many people feared dead and missing, while coast guards of neighbouring countries ignore them and even outright reject carrying out rescue efforts. Humanitarian organizations are usually the ones out there doing rescue missions and yet, once they get to land they get arrested. There's a bleak contrast between how 24/7 news coverage and rescue efforts have been done for 5 people ...

Nothing but facts. I can't bring myself to feel any empathy for these people except the 19-year-old. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761167f1bae274183a253d

I just found out that the dude who invented the craptacular submarine wanted to sell them to oil and gas companies to find more oil and gas.

giphy.gif