Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

Just now, Vertimus said:

Look, not everyone is going to agree with you about everything, or anyone else. There's thousands of members here, and they have thoughts and interpretations of their own. 

I’m aware and implore you to have your own opinions.

But I think it’s weird to turn them into these political like discussions. 

She’s written about several taboo topics - DV, drug use/abuse, depression, mental illness, suicide….but that lyric grinds your gears? 

You’re entitled to feel how you do, I’m just curious as to why that specific lyric drew the line for you. Lol

12 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

People making this one lyric into a discussion on sexual violence and the mistreatment of women…I promise them it’s not that deep- it seems like there’s two flip sides on this discussion right now, we all know Lana would flip if this was directed to her on IG

I don’t like the lyric though 

I'm definitely not extrapolating the line to be associated with or encouraging "violence against women," but I think that's a valid interpretation, worry, or concern. I don't like the line because, like most of the refrain, it just seems lazy and unimaginative to me. But Lana can write whatever she wants. Perhaps that's exactly how she felt. 

21 minutes ago, wendywilliams said:

24 is Lana's best song:hottie:

Honestly, the vocals and production are gorgeous. It may not be the most relatable track for me personally, but she displays a wide range of vocal technique, and it has a rich instrumental buildup:true:

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

29 minutes ago, wendywilliams said:

24 is Lana's best song:hottie:

24 is criminally underrated. The last minute of the song is so mesmerizing and puts you in a trance. It HIT so hard when I listened to the album on acid, and since then 24 (and Swan Song) are in my top favorites from HM. 10/10 musical brilliance 

9 hours ago, slang said:

The "tunnel" is also a constraint by men? "Handmade beauty sealed up by two man-made walls". Also, orgasms are exoteric, while death, by its very nature, is esoteric.

BTW, in Wikipedia-ing some of your terms, I've seemed to have found a Rosetta Stone for your latest post in the Paradise and the Esoteric Origin of mankind Thread. I mean I was immediately struck by the picture of the "tree of life represented by the Kabbalah" on the right (of the first link), which reminded of that (esoteric, as in puzzling) post. 

"I've had like a long time interest in all things ancient and occult like so many people and I guess I draw on a little bit of that inspiration for my music."

She's mapped out the Tree for you in her albums. The constraint built by men is the Tower; the two tigers in Born to Die. It's about anamnesis and remembering the Self within that has been abandoned. Alchemical coniunctio is a "death" preceding new life. "Knowing that you're your own doorway to the answers."

I mean, did you think she made Tropico just for fun? "Walk in the way of my soft resurrection" was her message.

2 hours ago, This Feeling said:

The lyric is typical Lana. What’s wrong with it? She’s written similar lyrics. Fuck It I Love You? What’s the issue now? I really don’t get it.

i love the lyric, i personally find zero issue with it. it's typical Lana for sure!

1 hour ago, DeadAgainst said:

"I've had like a long time interest in all things ancient and occult like so many people and I guess I draw on a little bit of that inspiration for my music."

She's mapped out the Tree for you in her albums. The constraint built by men is the Tower; the two tigers in Born to Die. It's about anamnesis and remembering the Self within that has been abandoned. Alchemical coniunctio is a "death" preceding new life. "Knowing that you're your own doorway to the answers."

I mean, did you think she made Tropico just for fun? "Walk in the way of my soft resurrection" was her message.

I mean it's ok that she's mystical and stuff. I just wish she were more explicit about defining occult references, and reasons why we should care. I'm a big fan of "anamnesis" (google dictionary: the remembering of things from a supposed previous existence--often used with reference to Platonic philosophy). One of my heroes, Philip K. Dick, had a bad bout with that, and wrote a whole exegesis trying to be clear about what was happening to him (some of it weird, but not THAT weird). He did not mean for it to be published, but it was posthumously. However, a lot of his later novels did fictionalize the very same concerns as his exegesis. I don't think LDR is in that category of wanting to communicate explicitly about that kind of stuff. I mean if she's mapping out a tree (similar to PKD wanting to "explain" his novels via his exegesis), it's not quite clear to me what the tree is for. I have to read the Wikipedia pages on esotericism and think about it (although I'd rather read a terse set of axioms, and then think about the arguments, if any). Of course, she doesn't have to explain anything. I can just appreciate her art with different agendas. 

5 hours ago, Vertimus said:

Maybe you missed the photo she posted on IG where she's wearing some sort of crop top with the bottoms of her breasts exposed? It's Lana who seems to be reveling in her breasts lately (which do seem to have gotten larger as she's matured), and people are not all going to respond to what they might interpret as exhibitionism in a civil, respectful, 'Woke,' or politically correct way.

Breasts are not inherently sexual in terms of biological function, but women's breasts are a large part of what make women sexually attractive to others, certainly including heterosexual and bisexual men and lesbians/gay women/bisexual women.

Large buttocks are not inherently sexual either, but, like female breasts and male muscles, they have carried an erotic charge throughout recorded history. 120 years ago, even 'well-bred' middle class and upper middle class American WASP women wore bustles to highlight and exaggerate their backsides, and in the 1940s and 1950s, young American women often wore 'falsies' or specially padded bras to enhance their figures if they felt their breasts were not large enough.

If all of this is merely due to Madison Avenue and 'the male gaze,' then why, conversely, have women been drawn to taller, rough-hewn, and well-built men throughout history? The French high court knew nothing of Madison Avenue, nor did the Britsh gentry in the first half of the 19th century. The idea of beauty has been with us since ancient Egypt, and probably existed before. Everywhere anthropologists travel, they find people, no matter how isolated from the rest of the world, adorning, decorating, stylizing, and enhancing their appearances through whatever is available, including tattooing and painting their bodies. 

:eek2:Yikes

all this word vomit to defend your shitty “If a woman feels comfortable in her skin, she deserves mistreatment” stance

Anyway, tits shmits.

I personally can't wait for Jehovah Switness or whatever his name is to ask me if I'm ready to talk about my lord & saviour on track 9 or whichever track that interlude's gonna be.

Also not happy about all the collabs but we'll see, maybe they're not that bad. I'm at least expecting the FJM collab to be very good.

20230718-113117.gif

Honey, you make me feel I'm invincible

9 minutes ago, BlueINK said:

Anyway, tits shmits.

I personally can't wait for Jehovah Switness or whatever his name is to ask me if I'm ready to talk about my lord & saviour on track 9 or whichever track that interlude's gonna be.

Also not happy about all the collabs but we'll see, maybe they're not that bad. I'm at least expecting the FJM collab to be very good.

Based on what we've heard from BoZ, all of the collaborations are very minimal. FJM is backing vocals like Snow on the Beach, Tommy Genesis allegedly doesn't even sing on their track, the SYML track is just their instrumental, etc. The only tracks remaining that have the possibility of being full collaborations are the Jon Batiste tracks. So, you have that to look forward to! She just gave the people who worked with her credit

Allegedly the pastor interlude is track five, right after the seven minute "A&W"

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

3 hours ago, slang said:

One of my heroes, Philip K. Dick, had a bad bout with that, and wrote a whole exegesis trying to be clear about what was happening to him (some of it weird, but not THAT weird). He did not mean for it to be published, but it was posthumously. However, a lot of his later novels did fictionalize the very same concerns as his exegesis. I don't think LDR is in that category of wanting to communicate explicitly about that kind of stuff. I mean if she's mapping out a tree (similar to PKD wanting to "explain" his novels via his exegesis), it's not quite clear to me what the tree is for. I have to read the Wikipedia pages on esotericism and think about it (although I'd rather read a terse set of axioms, and then think about the arguments, if any). Of course, she doesn't have to explain anything. I can just appreciate her art with different agendas. 

From Philip K. Dick:

It tells about the death of a woman.... The purpose of the narrative is the recollection of her and of her death. The Mind does not wish to forget her.... We should be able to hear this information, or rather narrative, as a neutral voice inside us. But something has gone wrong. 

Anamnesis. "Can you hear me?"

From "Get Free"—

"Finally, gone is the burden of the Crowley way of being"

Why did she say this? Why does she mention Aleister Crowley? Could it be she actually practices Thelema? Why does her position in the "Blue Jeans" music video mirror that of the Hanged Man in Crowley's Thoth tarot? Is this not another exhortation to "remember"? It is important to her because she believes something important has been lost; something in all of us. 

"I'm the queen of alchemy
I know a way to make gold by mixing our
Souls to escape reality"

Why does she always mention fire? Why is she always burning? 

"Anyone can start again
Not through love but through revenge
Through the fire, we're born again
Peace by vengeance brings the end"

People simply refuse to stop and think about what any of these lines actually mean. My unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinions thread.

I don't know if this is considered unpopular, but NFR is the album I revisit the least lately and I can't pinpoint exactly why because I don't hate the album or anything. If I do revisit it, it's usually Love Song or Bartender that I play. Maybe I overplayed it when it came out and I need some time to be able to listen o it again. Maybe those songs are for a very specific mood and I'm just not there right now.

On 12/24/2022 at 7:23 PM, DeadAgainst said:

From Philip K. Dick:

Anamnesis. "Can you hear me?"

From "Get Free"—

"Finally, gone is the burden of the Crowley way of being"

Why did she say this? Why does she mention Aleister Crowley? Could it be she actually practices Thelema? Why does her position in the "Blue Jeans" music video mirror that of the Hanged Man in Crowley's Thoth tarot? Is this not another exhortation to "remember"? It is important to her because she believes something important has been lost; something in all of us. 

"I'm the queen of alchemy
I know a way to make gold by mixing our
Souls to escape reality"

Why does she always mention fire? Why is she always burning? 

"Anyone can start again
Not through love but through revenge
Through the fire, we're born again
Peace by vengeance brings the end"

People simply refuse to stop and think about what any of these lines actually mean. My unpopular opinion in the unpopular opinions thread.

Thank you and user @slang for having this type of discussion and I encourage you both to keep it going! As a reader I find it fascinating, and as a fan it pleases me, because I think the messages Lana is trying to get across in her songs are very hard to read and often feel like they have esoteric meaning but I never know where to start beginning to understand most of it.