Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

8 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

you two need to listen to early lorde more-

she obviously was inspired lyrically and sonically during PH-

“Baby be the class clown I’ll be the beauty queen” 

the hip hop beats and low,husky vocals.

Royals even being inspired by national anthem lyrics-albeit subverted to mock those who flaunt wealth.

solar power being tropical NFR aswell fits in.

No, sorry, imo this is a reach

There are thousands of songs about flaunting wealth (and Royals is less about that than it is about being content with just being normal - it just uses the examples of extravagance to contrast). 

And saying Solar Power is a "tropical NFR" is absurd. The themes are not even remotely similar, sonically or lyrically. Like, specifically where and how? Solar Power (the song) is about ditching technology and responsibilities and being amongst nature and people you love. None of the songs on NFR are about that. I can't think of any obvious similarities between songs like Mood Ring, Big Star, The Path, etc and NFR, either.

You can find similarities between anything if you look hard enough

People act like Lana came up with everything she did out of thin air and that everyone else copied her but the truth is, ALL artists are inspired by those who came before (I just disagree with your examples, though). 

I can hear elements of many 90s artists in Lana's music. Lately she's really leaning into Alanis Morissette's wordy introspective lyricism (and she actually followed Alanis about 2 years ago). Go read the lyrics to You Oughtta Know and Hands Clean as examples. You can almost imagine Lana singing those (I'm not saying Lana copied Alanis, but she's not the first person to write lyrics like she does with similar themes). Can also hear elements of Jewel, Garbage, and others - these were all artists Lana would've grown up with. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been criticised for writing about California too much and they've been around since the 80s - is Lana copying them because almost all of her songs mention California? No.

Love Lana but she draws inspiration from other artists like anyone else. 

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

dark but just a game is misunderstood

it is understood of being a good song when in fact, it is crap :oprah3:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

9 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

i never understood the hype at all :toofunny: tjf imo is tha best song on the album by far

11 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

My controversial opinion is that Lana is this generations Madonna influence wise-

no one is touching her from the 10s in this regard-man or woman alike- we’ve got articles of Jamaican reggae artists citing her as their biggest influence fgs.

there would be no Billie, no Lorde, no Taylor-hell who knows if charli xcx would be as successful fanbase wise without this forum.

All of these artists would likely still exist but their career directions would be vastly different-she’s helped shape the industry.

I've heard that many times actually and it's not unpopular at all. Every time indie pop girls and tumblr culture is mentioned Lana is always credited as the blueprint. The indie girl pipeline always starts with Lana or Marina, but mostly Lana. We also have countless of micro subcultures/aesthetics like couqettes, sad girls, Paris chic, soft grunge etc. for which Lana's music is their theme song if you know what I mean. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

I definitely agree that Lana is a major influence for that alt pop tumblr surge in the mid 2010s, but I do credit the XX more for actually kicking it off - but for some reason they’re much less referenced these days than her regarding influence/impact which is sacrilege tbh 

sgopYhV.gif

7 minutes ago, Crimson and Clover said:

I definitely agree that Lana is a major influence for that alt pop tumblr surge in the mid 2010s, but I do credit the XX more for actually kicking it off - but for some reason they’re much less referenced these days than her regarding influence/impact which is sacrilege tbh 

That is true.

Ive also always wondered who started the indie/hipster style vocals. Lana doesnt really have those vocals, but im thinking the XX definitely brought it in. Im not hugely into other bands like them so im not sure, maybe there were others before that. 

12 hours ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

No, sorry, imo this is a reach

There are thousands of songs about flaunting wealth (and Royals is less about that than it is about being content with just being normal - it just uses the examples of extravagance to contrast). 

And saying Solar Power is a "tropical NFR" is absurd. The themes are not even remotely similar, sonically or lyrically. Like, specifically where and how? Solar Power (the song) is about ditching technology and responsibilities and being amongst nature and people you love. None of the songs on NFR are about that. I can't think of any obvious similarities between songs like Mood Ring, Big Star, The Path, etc and NFR, either.

You can find similarities between anything if you look hard enough

People act like Lana came up with everything she did out of thin air and that everyone else copied her but the truth is, ALL artists are inspired by those who came before (I just disagree with your examples, though). 

I can hear elements of many 90s artists in Lana's music. Lately she's really leaning into Alanis Morissette's wordy introspective lyricism (and she actually followed Alanis about 2 years ago). Go read the lyrics to You Oughtta Know and Hands Clean as examples. You can almost imagine Lana singing those (I'm not saying Lana copied Alanis, but she's not the first person to write lyrics like she does with similar themes). Can also hear elements of Jewel, Garbage, and others - these were all artists Lana would've grown up with. The Red Hot Chili Peppers have been criticised for writing about California too much and they've been around since the 80s - is Lana copying them because almost all of her songs mention California? No.

Love Lana but she draws inspiration from other artists like anyone else. 

I don’t see how it’s a reach at all- I don’t hear any alanis in lanas music tbh-she just doesn’t have that vengeful aggression even in UV-you oughta know has no correlation to any of lanas work.

Lorde even indirectly stated she was an influence on the record-but flipped it around at that time and said it was bullsh*t to sing about topics like that hence we have royals-her lyrical sing rapping on songs like team clearly borrow from Lana- I can’t even name 1 song from 09-12 in popular music that mentions beauty queens funnily enough prior to Lana.

If it’s such a reach, we wouldn’t have major articles documenting said comments and how they played into lordes music 

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/how-lana-del-ray-inspired-lorde-song-royals/?amp

you would have to be delusional to say solar power doesn’t have songs directly lifting from NFR-there’s whole articles about it :lmao:

https://amp.popbuzz.com/music/artists/lorde/news/stoned-at-the-nail-salon-lana-del-rey-wild-at-heart/

The most obvious predecessors to lanas style are portishead, Joni Mitchell , Britney Spears, Jewel, Xanadu soundtrack(where lines were copied 💀) -which we can actually evidence.

I love garbage but besides the delivery in Shirley’s voice-there’s no bearing sonic or otherwise that I can see.

2 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

I don’t see how it’s a reach at all- I don’t hear any alanis in lanas music tbh-she just doesn’t have that vengeful aggression even in UV-you oughta know has no correlation to any of lanas work.

Lorde even indirectly stated she was an influence on the record-but flipped it around at that time and said it was bullsh*t to sing about topics like that hence we have royals-her lyrical sing rapping on songs like team clearly borrow from Lana- I can’t even name 1 song from 09-12 in popular music that mentions beauty queens funnily enough prior to Lana.

If it’s such a reach, we wouldn’t have major articles documenting said comments and how they played into lordes music 

you would have to be delusional to say solar power doesn’t have songs directly lifting from NFR-there’s whole articles about it :lmao:

https://amp.popbuzz.com/music/artists/lorde/news/stoned-at-the-nail-salon-lana-del-rey-wild-at-heart/

My original comment was that Lorde doesn't sound anything like Lana, that's what you replied to, and that's what I was refuting. You have basically refuted that yourself by acknowledging that Royals is about the opposite of what Lana's music at the time was about. Her voice also sounds nothing like Lana's.

So again - my point is that everyone acts like Lana is somehow above being influenced by recent artists, when that simply isn't true. Everyone has influences. Lorde isn't any more or less  guilty of that than anyone else.

With regard to Alanis, the comparison I made was about the wordy, anecdotal lyrical style. Not about the subject matter of You Oughtta Know.

My reference to Garbage is more about how everyone acts like Lana was the first woman ever to sing about depression and other dark themes. She wasn't. Many Garbage songs explore these themes. In turn, many artists before Garbage explored these themes.

And your last link is just silly - if anything, that's a Jack thing. He recycles more than Greta Thunberg and everyone knows it.

That is all.

11 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

My original comment was that Lorde doesn't sound anything like Lana, that's what you replied to, and that's what I was refuting. You have basically refuted that yourself by acknowledging that Royals is about the opposite of what Lana's music at the time was about. Her voice also sounds nothing like Lana's.

So again - my point is that everyone acts like Lana is somehow above being influenced by recent artists, when that simply isn't true. Everyone has influences. Lorde isn't any more or less  guilty of that than anyone else.

With regard to Alanis, the comparison I made was about the wordy, anecdotal lyrical style. Not about the subject matter of You Oughtta Know.

My reference to Garbage is more about how everyone acts like Lana was the first woman ever to sing about depression and other dark themes. She wasn't. Many Garbage songs explore these themes. In turn, many artists before Garbage explored these themes.

And your last link is just silly - if anything, that's a Jack thing. He recycles more than Greta Thunberg and everyone knows it.

That is all.

If she didn’t sound like Lana we wouldn’t have thousand’s of publications on the topic- Lana didn’t invent the vocal style but no one in the 00s was doing the low,breathy husky voice-so yes you can make the comparison.

For the trend’s real genesis we probably need to look back to 2010 and the arrival of Lana Del Rey with a style that combined the delivery of dark, expressive storytelling with a sense that she might be wondering whether she’d remembered to lock the bathroom window. Between them, Lana and Lorde, who appeared a few years later, inspired a raft of major signings.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/11/whisperpop-why-stars-choosing-breathy-intensity-over-vocal-paint-stripping

I guess you know more than journalists sourcing however :)

Its okay for labels to seek out similar talent and mold them-it happens all the time.

you can have your POV-I don’t agree however-in no way did I refute myself throughout anything I said-if anything it was consistent.

14 minutes ago, evalionisameme said:

If she didn’t sound like Lana we wouldn’t have thousand’s of publications on the topic- Lana didn’t invent the vocal style but no one in the 00s was doing the low,breathy husky voice-so yes you can make the comparison.

For the trend’s real genesis we probably need to look back to 2010 and the arrival of Lana Del Rey with a style that combined the delivery of dark, expressive storytelling with a sense that she might be wondering whether she’d remembered to lock the bathroom window. Between them, Lana and Lorde, who appeared a few years later, inspired a raft of major signings.

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2017/nov/11/whisperpop-why-stars-choosing-breathy-intensity-over-vocal-paint-stripping

I guess you know more than journalists sourcing however :)

Its okay for labels to seek out similar talent and mold them-it happens all the time.

you can have your POV-I don’t agree however-in no way did I refute myself throughout anything I said-if anything it was consistent.

Not you citing The Guardian :rip:

Journalists (especially from The Guardian) must always be right huh

Oh wait

Also in what universe is Lorde's voice low and husky? Are we talking about the same Lorde?

Just now, Rorman Nockwell said:

Not you citing The Guardian :rip:

Journalists (especially from The Guardian) must always be right huh

Oh wait

no one said that-as I said you can have your opinion but I could source hundreds of other articles citing Lanas influence- it’s really not that unpopular outside of this website.

Something is more likely to be true if there are documented investigations into a subject matter-interviews were conducted for that very article dearie.

Just now, evalionisameme said:

no one said that-as I said you can have your opinion but I could source hundreds of other articles citing Lanas influence- it’s really not that unpopular outside of this website.

Something is more likely to be true if there are documented investigations into a subject matter-interviews were conducted for that very article dearie.

I feel like this is going around in circles

I never said Lana wasn't influential. I said that she and Lorde sound nothing alike. This is obviously a matter of opinion, however

i really love cover arts of the new album, but i think colouring on some of them could’ve been better just to develop them to next level

Spoiler

edit by delreydear on instagram

BE071051-22-FE-4-C62-9928-25-B2-CB731-C0

5 minutes ago, Rorman Nockwell said:

I feel like this is going around in circles

I never said Lana wasn't influential. I said that she and Lorde sound nothing alike. This is obviously a matter of opinion, however

you're so unpopular

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

15 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

Yeah it’s not good, I remember the discourse when I called it crap on debut- it reminds me of Johnny cash’s cover of hurt actually.

16 hours ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I don't care much for it either, especially the Beatle-esque element. I am intrigued by the rumor that it and the NFR! title song were once parts of one another that were then broken into two. I could see that. 

4 hours ago, evalionisameme said:

Lana even said that, after criticizing Lana, her musical style, and themes, Lorde then went ahead and stole them, leading some to believe that that was why Lana changed styles abruptly with UV. 

On 12/8/2022 at 1:03 PM, Flowerbomb said:

Ocean Boulevard was a weak title track

The strings were nice but they weren't strong enough. Her voice was yet again quite dreary and 'meh'. I don't mind that type of singing but I feel like it's getting old. I'm not expecting her to belt or anything but just something with a change of pace. I can't really pinpoint any time throughout the song where I was like 'whoa this is so good!'. Also the ending was a bit strange with the choir. The lyrics weren't bad though

Overall, I've never been a fan of her first singles, so I expect better songs once we get the album in full. I'm still optimistic that we're going to be amazed 

Unpopular opinion: I still haven't warmed to it at all. To me, it comes across as musically flat and like very lazy songwriting (something I first noticed on NFR!), perhaps because it was 'automatically written,' like she said in the W magazine.

The 'fuck me to death' is lazy and embarrassing (and redundant after the "You fucked me so good I almost said I love you" from NFR!)--there are other, better, and more sophisticated/clever ways to express that sentiment---the "until I love myself" is tedious at this point (especially after she seemed to be taking full possession of herself as a woman on the last album) and the shout out to 'Hotel California' is clumsy and about as obvious as one can get in terms of classic rock references, like the 'stairway to heaven' in 'Coachella.' 

The whole song feels too wordy and concocted. 

I am glad so many others are enjoying it.