Sitar

Lorde

2 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

The album isn't THAT bad, it did exactly what it's supposed to do, Lorde understood the assignment perfectly and delivered. It wouldn't get as much backlash if it was released by any other hit or miss artist who wasn't constantly held to high expectations, but since it's Lorde's album and Lorde 'the future of music' can do no wrong then it's an irredeemable dumpster fire.

Exactly. Even Billie doesn’t have that pressure to release the « generation’s manifesto ». Although, for Billie, the stakes will be just as high as Lorde’s with her next album. 

2 minutes ago, House of Balloons said:

The album isn't THAT bad, it did exactly what it's supposed to do, Lorde understood the assignment perfectly and delivered. It wouldn't get as much backlash if it was released by any other hit or miss artist who wasn't constantly held to high expectations, but since it's Lorde's album and Lorde 'the future of music' can do no wrong then it's an irredeemable dumpster fire.

Ok but did I say it was “that bad”? I just said it was boring. and she only half understood the assignment. and it’s barely getting backlash, it’s just getting “meh” reviews. Even if this was released by another artist, it would be just “ok”. 

Just now, GeminiLanaFan said:

Exactly. Even Billie doesn’t have that pressure to release the « generation’s manifesto ». Although, for Billie, the stakes will be just as high as Lorde’s with her next album. 

Yeah but Billie last album was actually interesting. and that’s the thing. she didn’t have to recreate another “wwfawdwg”. the album wasn’t “fantastic” like melodrama, but it was great. 

36 minutes ago, NewportBitch said:
  Hide contents

I just don’t get how Eclipse was so off. ? Critics aren’t eating it up. It’s not that psychedelic. Fan base isn’t as divided. The deluxe tracks being better than his rankings suggest

Right??? bibliahh.gif

𝕀 𝕔𝕝𝕠𝕤𝕖 𝕞𝕪 𝕖𝕪𝕖𝕤, 𝕒𝕥 𝕟𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥 𝕀 𝕨𝕚𝕤𝕙 𝕥𝕠 𝕣𝕚𝕤𝕖 𝕗𝕣𝕠𝕞 𝕒𝕝𝕝 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕕𝕦𝕤𝕥

for the others who got the music box--can you access the digital download code yet or still need to wait until midnight :/ 

0-D9-B4-BAE-A7-F2-4-FF4-93-FB-F863-B500-

find someone who looks at you the way Lana looks at Taylor Swift

1 hour ago, ChaoticLipster said:

What makes me laugh is her best review is from Alexis Petridish of the Guardian who normally gives female singers 2 or 3 lol

HIM???? HDJSKKSKSLALA 

A pretty disappointing listen. You can hear what she was trying to do, but it somehow ends up feeling both directionless and contrived. Nothing felt inspired, clever or surprising, which I normally associate with Lorde albums. 

Spoiler

Smaller thoughts/hot takes/etc.: The bonus tracks should have been on the album! Big Star is a sweet song about her dog and I don't understand the hate for it! Secrets From a Girl had so much potential and she blew it (WHAT WAS THAT OUTRO?)! No one told me Lorde is allegedly dating an older man (also the song about him is..... so lukewarm)! Dominoes sounds so Taylor Swift and that's neither a compliment nor a diss, just a thought! How did it take her so long to release something so bland! 

I hate to pile on but I feel so disillusioned by her artistry now. Regardless, I'm looking forward to LP4 :creep: Let's hope for a comeback girls

3 hours ago, Party Favor said:

anyways, can’t say the criticism of the album is surprising. Rich people singing about their healing journeys and how they’re so lackadaisical cuz life is so ~let’s smoke weed and do nothing~ can only go so far before it reeks of try hard. 

Eat the Rich :troll:

07772f16031f371bb19c2650cab67790a3966c6d

10 minutes ago, HunterSThompson said:

A pretty disappointing listen. You can hear what she was trying to do, but it somehow ends up feeling both directionless and contrived. Nothing felt inspired, clever or surprising, which I normally associate with Lorde albums. 

Hide contents

Smaller thoughts/hot takes/etc.: The bonus tracks should have been on the album! Big Star is a sweet song about her dog and I don't understand the hate for it! Secrets From a Girl had so much potential and she blew it (WHAT WAS THAT OUTRO?)! No one told me Lorde is allegedly dating an older man (also the song about him is..... so lukewarm)! Dominoes sounds so Taylor Swift and that's neither a compliment nor a diss, just a thought! How did it take her so long to release something so bland! 

I hate to pile on but I feel so disillusioned by her artistry now. Regardless, I'm looking forward to LP4 :creep: Let's hope for a comeback girls

exactly my thoughts!!!!!!!  the taste in here :poordat:

10 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

What's everyone's top 3 from each record?

Mine are:

PH - Team, 400 Lux and The Love Club

MD - Hard Feelings/Loveless, Green Light and The Louvre

Hard Feelings/Loveless is my favorite Lorde track. Judge me

PH: Team, Ribs, Buzzcut Season

I'm sorry I truly cannot narrow it down any further for Melodrama: Green Light, The Louvre, Hard Feelings/Loveless, Sober II, Writer In The Dark

SP: The Path, Fallen Fruit, Mood Ring

Spoiler

@melodrama her voice is pitched down! it barely sounds like her other than the inflections which are kind of recognisable. but it's quite cool and does introduce a very epilogue-ish dimension to the deluxe

nice cocc bro

So, I just finished the first full listen and... yeah

It's a cute record, very nice vocals, but not what I was expecting based on the many descriptions we saw earlier 

Here are some quick thoughts I had during the first listen:

• Secrets from a girl - serving P!nk's Catch 22's airline part
  • The man with the axe - I didn't quite understand who's she's singing to/about - her boyfriend? but then there's that bit about someone w/ lashes and t-shirts who would overtake her...idk
  • (Very sorry to say this and I don't mean any hate, but) Some of the songs are very much lite-NFR - Big Star and Leader of the new regime. I can definitely imagine Lana singing these and actually being on that record
  • Why is she doing so many high vocals
  • Mood swing - could've been more lyrical during the first chorus, there's a lot of empty space and the instrumental is not that exciting
  • Helen of troy - very cute, better than some of the standard tracks
  • Hold no grudge - literally serving Xtina's Genie in the bottle at the beginning and during the verses
  • The melody and vocal performance of Dominoes gave me some Joni Mitchell's Carey vibes
  • Fallen fruit - definitely interesting, though I have no idea what's she's singing about and I paid attention 

So, fave tracks (for now):

Wild at heart (even though I don't like the vocal production (?) during the choruses - they feel very distant), Mood swing (kind of), California

Also, I really like the animated cover on Apple Music, it's cute

10 hours ago, BluebirdXO said:

What's everyone's top 3 from each record?

PH: buzzcut season, ribs, tennis court

Melodrama: sober, writer in the dark, the louvre

not finished with my first listen to SP yet but i think the path & SATNS will prob be in my top 3

aOaIzH2.gif

What a fucking sweet album!! I love all songs. It gives me holiday chills.

Favorites:

The Path

California

Solar Power

Stoned

Fallen Fruit

Dominoes 

Thanks to Lorde for saving my summer. ????