Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

258 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

I am new here but have followed all the drama from afar when LFL was about to come out...
Now that we have heard it for a couple of months, I will put my own two cents on the album. First of all, i really loved it. True, it did not contain RBFY or Yosemite or BAR, but it was an incredible one. I will specify that I am the same age as Lana and that witchy goddess has a way of putting in words and music what I am going though in my life, as if we are aging together, going in the same direction... I
see LFL as her quest for happiness. She wants to be happy, she was heading in that direction I believe, but shit happened (G-Eazy, anyone? and Trump lol), and she realized that happiness is hard to find, very evasive. So the album is the reflexion of a woman growing out of her 20's drama, heading into the future. Many of the songs feel like the memories of her past drama  (Heroin), or her past perspective on things (the song LFL has been criticized for its blend lyrics, but I felt she was writing as if she was a teenager; same as White Mustang). Even when she sings about her past relationships, we feel the insight of a maturing woman (she reflects on love itself, what her ideal is and how she did not obtain it, like on Cherry and 13 Beaches). And we finally see her present perspective emerge with songs like GBA, BPBP, WTWWAT, Coachella. I have never been one to follow the news on TV or newspaper, but as I get older, i realize I cannot ignore the world anymore. And I got scared too, like Lana I believe. So she had to acknowledge the state of the world at some point. WTWWAW is such a hopeful song, the first one from her to bring me tears. Her vocals are sublime on that one. The last three songs form The Holy Trinity of the album and summarize it: something for her past (the kind of self-destruction she had on BTD and UV), her present (the will to Change), and her future (Get Free; isn't it the perfect Lana song?). 
When the instrumentals of the album came out, I felt surprised to hear such depths to songs that I thought were not so incredible at first (the piano at the and of BPBP:  :O. Coachella is really more layered than I thought). Each of her albums tells a story and each song is important. And I always keep in mind that she has a way of making me fall in love with songs I thought were not so great at first, but that resonated with me at some point, and I would not pull them away from the record. Lana is one of the few artists that make albums that you have to listen from cover to cover to get the big picture.

It took thirteen beaches to find one empty

But finally I'm fine

Past Ventura and lenses plenty

In the white sunshine

But you still can find me if you ask nicely

Underneath the pines

With the daisies, feeling hazy

In the ballroom of my mind

Across that county line

These lyrics just HIT me  :defeated: pure poetry

i'm flying to the moon again, dreaming about heroin... 

What if Lana had released a 'Heroin' EP as a Honeymoon follow-up with this tracklist

Cherry
White Mustang
Summer Bummer
In My Feelings
When the world bla bla
Beautiful People (demo)
Architecture
13 Beaches
Heroin

After enduring tracks 12 and 13 I really feel cleansed and at peace listening to Heroin, Change, and Get Free in a row. Her best track placement, I am blown away every time and I feel incomplete if I listen in any other order.

God Bless America and WTWWAW aged SO bad  :noparty:

They actually aged really well for me, I love them even more now

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

I honestly thought we were gonna reach 1000 pages on this thread too but here we are...Lust for life..You were not the best album, a bit messy at times but you blessed me with Heroin, one of Lana's best songs in her discography and one of my top 3 favourite Lana songs and also other iconic masterpieces such as Cherry, Get free, Love and many others. Thank you!

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Awww reading the last two comments made me feel so emotional ☹️ Although LFL has been a messy messy era, it was like the first Lana era for me. I've been listening to her for some years but I was never an active fan. But in this case I was aware of every detail, release, snippet... Also I saw her live for the first time this era! And she included my favorite song by her in LFL, GBA-AATBWII. I will never get over this track. It gives me hope and an instant smile. I'll miss this era once it's ended :''(