Elle

LDR6 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

Hm. I'm not necessarily saying that the accent was used tactfully, but in certain countries like India, it is actually recommended that one uses an Indian accent. The natives learn and use English that way, and it dramatically helps communication with those who haven't yet learned much of the language. I have no idea if this would also be commonplace for gringos in latin countries, but I can imagine that the concept would be the same.

tumblr_pinn5thM7y1y0ns5so1_400.gif

What the fucking hell that's the messiest thing I've ever heard. I thought you meant she was doing it while singing :lmao:

It’s just so funny and odd? I’m not Latina so I don’t want to assume that it’s derogatory or not. I’m sure most Latinx people don’t mind or think it’s bad. But it’s just plain weird for her to even do that. (It did seem like she was drunk or high during that performance though)

Y'all act like appropriation is a thing. I want her to be chola like!! She just needs a few pointers that's it! She's pretty much got it down. She's not even doing it out of disrespect. Anywho though, I hope we get another single soon. Like on the anniversary of LFL

I don’t think the fake accent is THAT bad. I mean compared to other celebrities who make fools out of themselves. But it is just the one thing she gets clocked for. (Also anyone appropriating culture doesn’t think they are doing it disrespectfully.)

It’s just so funny and odd? I’m not Latina so I don’t want to assume that it’s derogatory or not. I’m sure most Latinx people don’t mind or think it’s bad. But it’s just plain weird for her to even do that. (It did seem like she was drunk or high during that performance though)

I don’t think the fake accent is THAT bad. I mean compared to other celebrities who make fools out of themselves. But it is just the one thing she gets clocked for. (Also anyone appropriating culture doesn’t think they are doing it disrespectfully.)

I think it's like appreciation. Nobody can own a culture as culture is ever changing. On top of that, the culture that everyone knows today is a result of cultural blending. So, it make sense for it to overlap. I just feel overall the whole mindset of "cultural appropriation" is so toxic for everyone. It's like saying straight people can't do drag.

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

do yall think she will go all out and wear a beautiful sun dress or wear tights and a black shirt ?

im going with the latter

Yeah I think it’ll be black. Although her outfit might give us a glimpse of what she’s recording. Not even gonna set myself up for disappointment that she says anything about new music though.

I think it's like appreciation. Nobody can own a culture as culture is ever changing. On top of that, the culture that everyone knows today is a result of cultural blending. So, it make sense for it to overlap. I just feel overall the whole mindset of "cultural appropriation" is so toxic for everyone. It's like saying straight people can't do drag.

I agree it’s toxic. I think it’s gets messy when white people culturally appropriate the culture and language of people who were enslaved and had their culture and language stifled. I can understand why that would make people uncomfortable.

her fanbase is strong and stable™ i didnt see anyone questioning that. won’t change the fact that her recent eras were messy and that there’s not much interest in her besides by her stans.

i76mrxw.png 

Yeah I think it’ll be black. Although her outfit might give us a glimpse of what she’s recording. Not even gonna set myself up for disappointment that she says anything about new music though.

I agree it’s toxic. I think it’s gets messy when white people culturally appropriate the culture and language of people who were enslaved and had their culture and language stifled. I can understand why that would make people uncomfortable.

I don't really care as long as whoever does it is respectful. I doubt every black person knows the history of braids so why enforce it? At the end of the day. It's all beautiful. I'd personally want white people to engage in my culture. Plus, it's not like white people are terrible. To be honest, I'm glad we're past slavery. So terrible. All in all, I'm personally not a fan of saying you can't wear this or that because of this. If a white girl wants braids rock on. If a black girl wants a quince hope she has a wonderful one. I feel creating that divide only is regressive. It reminds me of how people say minorities can't be racist. Which is ridiculous. If they want by that, it'd bite them in the ass later on. Eventually, white people will become a minority so can they not be racist? Especially since some people are racist to them now or demand reparations. It'd only continue the cycle of racial divide imo. It'd probably go really extreme too, as people might start to say eating certain food is cultural appropriation. Now, that would be a hot mess.

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

I don't really care as long as whoever does it is respectful. I doubt every black person knows the history of braids so why enforce it? At the end of the day. It's all beautiful. I'd personally want white people to engage in my culture. Plus, it's not like white people are terrible. To be honest, I'm glad we're past slavery. So terrible. All in all, I'm personally not a fan of saying you can't wear this or that because of this. If a white girl wants braids rock on. If a black girl wants a quince hope she has a wonderful one. I feel creating that divide only is regressive. It reminds me of how people say minorities can't be racist. Which is ridiculous. If they want by that, it'd bite them in the ass later on. Eventually, white people will become a minority so can they not be racist? Especially since some people are racist to them now or demand reparations. It'd only continue the cycle of racial divide imo. It'd probably go really extreme too, as people might start to say eating certain food is cultural appropriation. Now, that would be a hot mess.

The point of most cultural appropriation is white people trying to own diversity and culture, when they are the ones who took it away from the people actually OF that culture. Its trashy and gross when white people dress in native american cultural dress for coachella or a halloween party, for example, and everyone knows it.

A lot of the other things, however, are controversial. many people say 'its okay, just learn what its about before you wear it', while others say 'its wrong, just learn from it, and dont do it again' (like Lana has mostly done so far, she just let it go, like a person who can improve themselves, instead of claiming 'but its my aesthetic!!!'). You can't really tell what the response is gonna be, because it's all social and so complex.

I think people can just wear what they want, but then dont act all surprised like a victim if people get upset. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cultural appropriation is a thing mostly in America

like did you have sushi and you are not Japanese? Cultural appropriation!

And nah, America just gets called out for it more, because Native American culture is probably the most appropriated. 

Sushi is an everyday food that came from Japan, so thats entirely different. Its not a cultural custom, cultural expectation, or part of any religious ritual. I get your point, but its not an accurate example, thats all :P

do yall think she will go all out and wear a beautiful sun dress or wear tights and a black shirt ?

im going with the latter

I personally would love her to step it up with her fashion like she had done in 2013-2014

tumblr_plbqy2X0Hg1twenha_400.gif

tumblr_o1ix5mOoMA1tqux4uo1_500.jpg

I remember seeing this picture of Lana for the first time. She's wearing a traditional romanian cloth called ''ie'' and I was not offended at all. In fact, I was super excited that she liked this from our culture. Why should I be mad? If a celebrity like Lana shows appreciation for my culture in some way I can't be anything but excited. I would be offended if she directly said that our culture sucks because that wouldn't be nice. But when somebody shows appreciation towards a part of your culture and then you bash them for apparently not being allowed to wear that or to sing that, then you are kind of close minded..That's my opinion.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I personally would love her to step it up with her fashion like she had done in 2013-2014

Yes I am personally quite sick of the white dresses 

tumblr_o1ix5mOoMA1tqux4uo1_500.jpg

I remember seeing this picture of Lana for the first time. She's wearing a traditional romanian cloth called ''ie'' and I was not offended at all. In fact, I was super excited that she liked this from our culture. Why should I be mad? If a celebrity like Lana shows appreciation for my culture in some way I can't be anything but excited. I would be offended if she directly said that our culture sucks because that wouldn't be nice. But when somebody shows appreciation towards a part of your culture and then you bash them for apparently not being allowed to wear that or to sing that, then you are kind of close minded..That's my opinion.

Is that kind of clothing worn day-to-day? because that might be why no one was offended. my points earlier are things like the war bonet. i know that had symbolism in the Ride music video, but she was completely changing the meaning of it (hence, appropriating). Cultural appropriation is only a thing if you are appropriating the meaning. so for day-to-day wear, that isnt really a thing

Yes I am personally quite sick of the white dresses 

Is that kind of clothing worn day-to-day? because that might be why no one was offended. my points earlier are things like the war bonet. i know that had symbolism in the Ride music video, but she was completely changing the meaning of it (hence, appropriating). Cultural appropriation is only a thing if you are appropriating the meaning. so for day-to-day wear, that isnt really a thing

Not tipically, but some women are still wearing it with casual outfits in public from time to time. However some more traditional people around here don't like when people wear it out of context (with casual outfits) because it is part of the traditional costume. However, people started to tolerate and be ok with that idea.  So, yeah, I guess that's why it's not really offensive, thanks for explaining it 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Her only problematic behavior is the cultural appropriation teas...that Spanish accent was toeing the line..

I was looking for her use of that spanish accent on festivals and came across this

https://www.acelinguist.com/2018/02/dialect-dissection-lana-del-reys.html

It's a very interesting article with examples of different accents in her music go read it guys bye

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

I was looking for her use of that spanish accent on festivals and came across this

It's a very interesting article with examples of different accents in her music go read it guys bye

Omg wig this is a great piece of work and really well-sourced. It definitely makes more sense in the big themes of her music.

Cultural appropriation has some sense but the majority of what people think about it is completely stupid at the end of the day we're meant to be becoming a multicultural society and there are much bigger issues with enforcing human rights than what someone is wearing-people need to get their priorities in order tbh.

Although that accent was ridiculous what was she thinking!

I just don’t understand the concept of getting annoyed that someone is embracing a culture. What’s crazy is in America, there’s so many cultures and so many different cultures in different parts of the country, yet people get offended EVEN IF IT ISNT THEIR CULTURE SOMEONE IS “appropriating”. It’s one thing to try to change a culture and use that as a way to solely make money but it’s another when someone embraces a culture because they artistically find it cool. I think that’s what Lana does, I think she embraces cultures because she has fans of different cultures and she recognizes it. There’s so many people from the UK, South America, the US, Eurasia, etc. She knows this and I think she enjoys traveling the world and experiencing more of the lives of the people in these countries.

“Appropriating” is only ever a thing when it’s convenient, I swear. I never hear anyone say anything until it’s convenient for a conversation. That doesn’t go to say it’s not happening, but appropriation of culture =/= embracing a culture

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

This was very interesting, I loved reading it - thanks for sharing! I’ve noticed her southern accent in her old songs and her New York accent in Ultraviolence but I’ve never really thought why, or when, she uses them... makes me love the songs more.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

The reason why cultural appropriation is still a relevant issue is because when white people take from other cultures such a wearing braids styles from African roots, or bindis at coachella, and other is that society treats the use of these things on white people to be high fashion or beautiful while when worn by the people from those actual cultures to be trashy or fresh off the boat. This also goes to Lana’s use of chola characters on herself in tropico to the indigenous head piece in ride which was problematic (tho on theme) since we viewed it as another white person taking from minorities and benefiting from it. I’m not attacking lana but it’s better to love and criticize when she’s right and wrong than to follow blindly. People in this fandom need to realize that these issues aren’t small, and if you’re a minority who doesn’t give a shit, check yourself.

IM STRONGER THANgiphy.gifALL MY MEN...