Amadeus

Galilee, Israel @ Meteor Festival - Sep 7, 2018 (CANCELLED)

I have not used those words. I think disproportionate violence to perpetuate an apartheid-like state is enough on which to make the case for BDS without getting into whether those other terms apply. I just wanted to make that point.

I don't think people really appreciate the frankly adversarial nature, when not distant, of the relationship Lana's management has historically had to the forum. Both the past and current administrator have had interactions with management, and I suspect Elle's relationship with them is warmer than Tiarnan's was, but I'm not aware of any moderators interacting with them. I have never had any contact with them anyway. If Ben is aware of me he probably hates me. I've frequently been critical of him. The truth is her management is extremely aggressive and has often made threats against the forum over ridiculous things. Behind the scenes I have consistently advocated against self-censorship or kowtowing to threats without a solid legal basis.

@ me next time

Where do you get off presuming to judge the sincerity of people's motives without basis? Especially people you know fuck-all about.

FYI I've been very pro-Palestinian since I read Chomsky in 2005 if not before that. I legit confronted my congressman at a town hall years ago for having too pro-Israel a stance on his website. Believe it or not, I first learned that Lana was playing this show not from LanaBoards or any other Lana-related site, but from my mostly political completely non-Lana Twitter account under my real name because Glenn Greenwald retweeted a PACBI tweet about it into my feed. I'm not going to, but I could show you conversations I've had with other Lana fans evincing my pro-Palestinian views going back 6 years. I don't recall there previously being an occasion that demanded discussion of Israel/Palestine specifically, but my stance is quite obviously consistent with my record of policing Islamophobic comments. As far as my "sudden jurisdiction against her", anybody who knows a thing about me knows I've never been shy about criticizing Lana and it's not the first time I've criticized her politics or lack thereof. So it's not like I'm some posturing bandwagoner here or whatever you're trying to insinuate. I have genuine long-running convictions about this issue and her playing this festival genuinely bothers me.

I find it bizarre (and depressing) that a number of people in this thread seem to have a hard time wrapping their heads around the idea that someone might empathize with other people they have no "specific attachment to" aside from their shared humanity. Or if they did that they wouldn't if they didn't.

Well said.

I do not accept it. I don't know if protesting will move her, but I feel compelled to try.

That's good historical background. I'd also recommend this section of this entry for more recent context:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Israel#Human_rights_in_the_occupied_territories

I don't even support Israel. I still do not feel she should be the scapegoat for something out of her control. Shxt will happen with her singing there or not. Your issue is surface level when it comes to her playing there. There really is no point of me going back and forth with you as we have made it clear what our opinions are. That's really all I have to say. 

Well Lana's still (quite) young so I hope she'll get at least some sort of personal growth out of the entire situation with this festival. I guess she's based her decision more on emotions than on hard facts or information she's having about the situation in Israel. But experiencing the backlash (on Twitter and elsewhere; probably in dicussions with people around her too), and going to Israel (or even Palestine) in person and seeing a bit of what's going on there might help her getting more conscious of her decisions in the future. Even Roger Waters himself played several times in Israel too before deciding to stop touring there so it took him a while to come to this conclusion.

And if you consider that Radiohead have played there last year and Michael Stipe defended their decision (two artists who I always thought of being "politically woke") it's obvious that not everybody thinks that a boycott is the best way to deal with the situation. (I'm not saying that Radiohead and M. Stipe are right though.)

I have a problem with the whole focus here- a lot of false historical information

Jews  were in Judea (Jerusalem) centuries before 

and Palestine came from elsewhere to Jerusalem

There is a reason after the war "Israel" was there, but the land already had historically been theirs. It was not picked randomly and it is their land, isn't it?

100% solidarity with @autotoon loon

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Well Lana's still (quite) young so I hope she'll get at least some sort of personal growth out of the entire situation with this festival. I guess she's based her decision more on emotions than on hard facts or information she's having about the situation in Israel. But experiencing the backlash (on Twitter and elsewhere; probably in dicussions with people around her too), and going to Israel (or even Palestine) in person and seeing a bit of what's going on there might help her getting more conscious of her decisions in the future. Even Roger Waters himself played several times in Israel too before deciding to stop touring there so it took him a while to come to this conclusion.

And if you consider that Radiohead have played there last year and Michael Stipe defended their decision (two artists who I always thought of being "politically woke") it's obvious that not everybody thinks that a boycott is the best way to deal with the situation. (I'm not saying that Radiohead and M. Stipe are right though.)

I'm beautiful in my way cuz god makes no mistakes i'm on the right track baby i'm touring israel 

UVT1.gif

i76mrxw.png 

I have not used those words. I think disproportionate violence to perpetuate an apartheid-like state is enough on which to make the case for BDS without getting into whether those other terms apply. I just wanted to make that point.

Fair, I just don't find your point convincing for a boycott against Israel as if Hamas or the Palestinian Authority has no role in the violence. I'm not saying Israel is innocent, but I don't think your opinion about Lana playing there is justified. 

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

Fair, I just don't find your point convincing for a boycott against Israel as if Hamas or the Palestinian Authority has no role in the violence. I'm not saying Israel is innocent, but I don't think your opinion about Lana playing there is justified.

I have never said Palestinians are completely innocent or have no role in the violence. I have said that Israel uses a disproportionate amount of force. But to be honest, that doesn't even really factor into my support for Palestine and the BDS movement. The issue is the denial of basic human rights to an entire people. And those people are asking for a boycott to put pressure on their oppressors to end the oppression.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I'm done with reading or saying anything in that matter since many people stay oblivious anyway, but there's one more thing I wanna know: she said she's looking forward to playing music for everyone i.e. both Israeli and Palestinian children, can I ask exactly how you guys think she's gonna do that? Is she gonna play an ukelele song in a field hospital or what exactly is she referring to?

Yeah, for the children, she gonna play Gods & Monsters, Love medley (with minor lyric tweaks)

in the land of gods and monsters,

I was an angel.

living in the garden of evil,

screwed up, scared,

doing anything that I needed.

shining like a fiery beacon

look at you, kids, with your vintage UZIs

walkin through while the drones are cruisin'

you're part of the past, but now you're the future

borders crossing can get confusing

it's enough just to make you feel crazy, crazy, crazy

sometimes, it's enough just to make you feel crazy

you get ready, you get all dressed up

to go nowhere in particular

back to war or then caught, get shot

doesn't matter 'cause it's enough

to be young and in war

look at you, kids, you know you're the cruelest

the war is yours and you can't refuse it

seen so much, you could get the bruise but

that don't mean that you shoot, abuse it

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Lana has stepped into a big mess with the Israel concert. If she cancels now it will be a victory for Palestinians, which I don't think they deserve because they are not innocent. If she goes ahead it will be a victory for Israelis, who are not innocent either. Maybe the best thing would be to go ahead but to do the performance with a "thematic emphasis on peace", as she indicated.

Yes, Israel has become entrenched in a decades long occupation of Palestinian territories that recalls South African apartheid. But remember how they got there. In late 19th century, Jews started to return to their ancient homeland in Palestine, in response to persistent persecution in Europe and in the context of other movements for national self-determination. Their migration culminated during Nazi persecution and the Holocaust. However, their ancient homeland had been settled by Palestinian Arabs since the Middle Ages, so there was now an increasing friction and hostility between the two ethnicities. In 1947 UN voted to divide Palestine into a Jewish and an Arab state. Jews accepted it, Arab countries rejected it. Next year, Jews declared the State of Israel and the surrounding Arab countries attacked it, launching a war that Israel survived. Palestine became split, with the Palestinian territories occupied by Jordan and Egypt. In 1967 Arab states mobilized their armies again, triggering another war with Israel, which Israel won and also captured the Palestinian territories. Israel continued to occupy the Palestinian territories for security reasons as Arab states refused to make peace with it. However, Israel also started to create Jewish civilian settlements in the occupied territories, which is considered illegal by international community and complicates the creation of a viable Palestinian state. Negotiations to create a Palestinian state have repeatedly failed, the main stumbling blocks being Palestinian insistence on the return of masses of Palestinian refugees from the 1948 war to what is now Israel and Israelis' unwillingness to give up certain settlements, particularly those in East Jerusalem. These failures and the accompanying violence have hardened positions on both sides, with Israel now headed by a government that is de facto against the creation of a Palestinian state, and part of Palestinian leadership is represented by the terrorist organization Hamas whose goal is the destruction of Israel.

So this is the mess Lana has stepped into.

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

like a crazy loon fan who runs on stage

loon-running-on-water-northof49photograp

i thought emile roasted you in his brick oven last thanksgiving, good to have u back

What kind of Nazi crematorium fantasy

100% solidarity with @autotoon loon

black-power-fist-twitter-bird-e145762313

A bad sample, repeated often with unwarranted glee.