partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

Just now, TrashMagiq said:

Serene Queen being described as bottom shelf compared to other songs from that time… I fear for the other LFL outtakes cause Serene Queen’s truly one of her best songs :oprah:

Btw about that, this was rather a fact than a personal opinion. It was a scruffy demo made in a day whilst there are many songs that were being worked on for months in 2016 and ended up being unused

5 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

what the hell even is mixing and mastering idgi

mixing is putting all of the tracks together and… mixing them together so they sound good lol. sometimes mixing also includes adding reverb, effects, etc, but that’s also a part of production in other cases, it depends on who’s mixing and who’s producing. mastering is making sure the dynamics are up to industry standard for streaming and physical copies, so songs aren’t super quiet compared to other songs, there is some other stuff to mastering too but i don’t really understand it lol. there was some confusion earlier today about why Yosemite is mastered by Chris Gehringer instead of Adam Ayan if it’s from 2016, and yeah, it’s because mastering is really only necessary when you’re officially releasing a song

1 minute ago, cinnamongirI said:

:trisha: MOOD :trisha: CLUELESS about how to make a lore post on this because everything sounds the same in my mind "Pussy Lips v2 was really fake and Anus Quiver 83 was from a previous era as a collab with Buddah , Cheryl Cole is secretly 7' tall and Madonna has a BLT demo and-" like HUH, all I learned was the 111 concocted some shit up from somebody named ?Patrick?, who was Concocting some shit after thinking Eclipse was Lana Team related?!?!

32 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

This is something I'd gladly discuss, but it would be mostly speculations mixed with facts.

Rich Lee was commissioned to direct music videos for 2 first singles of LFL - Love and The Next Best American Record. Love was obviously done first and sometime in late 2016/early 2017, before BAR video was recorded, someone must have either hacked or scammed Rich obtaining Love music video as well as reference audio for the BAR music video. This led to both spreading and leaking causing massive drama behind the scenes and ultimately scrapping BAR as a whole. We are "lucky" they only leaked this late, cause who knows if that happened earlier Lana might have never recorded the MV at all.

There is however the other side/reason to it that might be even stronger imo. The original TNBAR version is clearly shady and putting a lot of guilt on Barrie for the fall of their relationship. I feel like later at that time she came to realization that she might have been too hard on him - or even more, perhaps they happened to meet/talk and become friends on good terms again. The BAR video was built fully around the lyrics of the demo so when she realized she definitely wouldn't release that song without changing its narrative, the music video must be discarded. Since it was a really good visual that Lana loved and it would be a waste to just scrap it, they reused it for White Mustang. But yes, the full video was ready to be put out for The Next Best American Record.

This also might be one of the reasons for other LFL tracklist changes, but I don't know that.

Her reworking the chorus of TNBAR makes me a bit emotional, that she maybe reconciled with Barrie and realized she was being too hard on him :krylie:

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

9 minutes ago, cinnamongirI said:

Some people use them interchangeably, but to put it simply - mixing happens when the song is being worked on, it's a part of the process when everything for the song is recorded, but you keep polishing it, levelling the sound and such. Mastering is putting very final adjustments to prepare the song for distribution on various media since they all have their own requirements. Mastering is more of a technical thing and only something required for stuff that is being released.

That's why I said the UV Patrick demos are poorly mixed. The vocals are too drowned in the instrumental sometimes, some stems sound too out of place, there is lack of cohesion throughout.

a very simple example of mixing is like, if a vocal track is too loud, turning it down so it doesn’t awkwardly stick out in the song. more intricately though it’s EQing stuff so there’s not any weird frequencies, compression so if a singer is singing quietly at one part and the belting in another it doesn’t kill your ear drums, comping vocal tracks and using the best parts from multiple takes, etc etc it can get very tedious and redundant and annoying 😭 mixing engineers deserve as much credit as producers tbh

I feel like I've been in a history of LDR albums class for the past three days 

imageproxy.jpg

2 minutes ago, salvatorelovesyou said:

when we wake up tomorrow and find an "all LFL outtakes.zip" :sass:

And it’s a 92839 terabyte zip bomb:ohmy:

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886568b484a15c22227dc                                  

"Baby you my Bugsy Malone 

and I'm your Suicide Blonde"

last.fm

Just now, SoftwareUpgrade said:

This is blasphemous to me for some reason, why would she do that :sky:- did nobody have them locked in an abandoned mega account?!?

it bothered the hell outta me when i first heard that rumor. i hope it's just that: a rumor. 

Just now, For K said:

And it’s a 92839 terabyte zip bomb:ohmy:

What's a zip bomb?

giphy.gif