Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I think that's so cool actually, that she has like recurring "colors" to her lyrics so we know it's her thing. Like right now if some other artist shows up with song saying "party dress in the pale moonlight, hollywood and vine" I would be like get the fuck out of here, this is Lana's thing.

I get what you're saying and I agree, i'm not saying she should get rid of them, it's nice to hear her referencing her older works every now and then as long as she doesn't overuse the shit out of them  

The thing about lyrical recurrence is that for a few songs span on several albums, it's fine. But when you already expect a couple songs on the album to be like "blue blue blue, pale moonlight, red party dress, Hollywood, throw a bunch of f and b words here and there" it's not much recurrence but rather redundancy and it can easily come across as lazy writing.

fuck the cure for cancer we need to find a scientific explanation for people who think NFR is better than UV

giphy.gif

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐩𝐨𝐞𝐭𝐫𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧✿☆𝐦𝐲 𝐬𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐚𝐜𝐲☆✿✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

The thing about lyrical recurrence is that for a few songs span on several albums, it's fine. But when you already expect a couple songs on the album to be like "blue blue blue, pale moonlight, red party dress, Hollywood, throw a bunch of f and b words here and there" it's not much recurrence but rather redundancy and it can easily come across as lazy writing.

In interviews she’s wanting to be less Lana Del Rey but in some lyrics on NFR she’s as cliche Lana Del Rey as it gets. :rip:

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

Mark was only good because Amy was his director. He wanted a harp section on Love Is A Losing Game and she told him to fuck off because it sounded like a Mariah Carey song to her.

I did not know that  :rip: 

and good for Amy, her record is spotless and a classic!

I remember back in late 2014, early 2015 I was super pumped that Lana might be working with him. But since Honeymoon is perfect as is, I'm glad to know we didn't need his shitty input.

I don't have a real ranking, but...:

MAC, VB, CG, Bartender, The Greatest, NFR > Love Song, HIAB, California, Hope, > DT, FIILY, > HTD, TNBAR

this is only after 2 -3 listens - this will change 100%

anigif_enhanced-buzz-3260-1375807715-35.

fuck the cure for cancer we need to find a scientific explanation for people who think NFR is better than UV

NFR is better than UV because it is.

giphy.gif

I think this is lyrically a step above LFL, probably UV/HM tier. It relies on clichés, but she's grown a lot as an artist too. Even the lyrics of FIILY are sort of out-of-the-blue for her; she rarely sings long sentences (pre-chorus) at that fast of a pace. And the lyrics of Hope are ridiculously good. That song could be DISSECTED and annotated til the end of time frankly.

COMPOSITIONALLY, it's her most advanced album. Maybe not the CATCHIEST, but its easily more complex than LFL/UV. Bartender (with its literally DIVINE rhyme scheme) and Lovesong (which is structured so oddly but beautifully) are proof that she and Jack are pioneers of the industry right now. They are radically different than any other song a pop artist could produce

I actually enjoyed the entirely of NFR and with UV I usually skip to Old Money right after West coast.

This is a little off topic so I’m sorry ahead of time. All the talk about Lana overusing phrases/words/themes and whether it enhances or hinders her writing reminds me a lot of the reviews Stevie Nicks got for The Wild Heart. Some people hated her rehashing the typical themes and phrases and called her a “caricature of herself” whereas other people just lived for it and considered it like the sum of all her work until that point. Idk I like the kind of parallel feedback they’ve gotten.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Mark was only good because Amy was his director. He wanted a harp section on Love Is A Losing Game and she told him to fuck off because it sounded like a Mariah Carey song to her.

Wrong - she meant the harp was too high-pitched and sounded like a Mariah whistle note

Wrong - she meant the horns were too high-pitched and sounded like a Mariah whistle note

It’s not wrong though, check out Mark Ronsons This DJ documentary. U tried, again :rip:

:woot: giphy.gif :woot:

What i find most interesting about this album is, not one person seems to dislike it. I think that's pretty amazing. In fact i've only seen 1 or two pretencious buttholes claiming its not mixed properly or something stupid but thats it. Have we ever had this much praise for the new album during other era's? Im so excited to hear this album, it seems to have everything i love incorporated into it

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

We suddenly don't care if she's gonna play the whole album on Annie Mac or not, cause we already have it

BBC would never play full album don't give it any hope, last week they didn't even bother play The Greatest or Fuck It I Love You for the second time for the gays to summon. The fact that Lana is not important enough to be included on their promo as much as Bombay or whatever band it is last week is a crime really. Just go to Beats 1 who cares about the BBC and their horrible taste with whatever they have been playing for the last hour....