Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

Soooo I’m thinking of getting my first tattoo, and it’s definitely gonna be a Lana lyric. Should I put on my shoulder (back) or ribcage?

Ribcage. My first two tattoos were there and they hurt lol but it's bearable ;)

tumblr_inline_qhw6etIHor1wxgybj_500.gif

last.fm: dope_n_diamonds // twitter: lovinglydelrey

Soooo I’m thinking of getting my first tattoo, and it’s definitely gonna be a Lana lyric. Should I put on my shoulder (back) or ribcage?

Can you take this to the random conversation thread? Thanks

So Lana said that when she played Venice Bitch to Ben and Ed they asked her if she can make a 3 minute normal pop song... this is the closest they're going to get and I know they're just going to pay it dust anyways  :poordat:

"Not a day goes by that I don’t listen to at least one Sublime song,” claims Lana. “They epitomised the SoCal vibe and made a genre and sound totally their own.”

We are so excited to be collaborating with Lana on this, the smoky, sexy, iconic sound of her voice breathes new life into one of our favorite singles,” says Bud Gough of Sublime.

http://diymag.com/2019/05/17/lana-del-reys-cover-of-sublimes-doin-time-has-arrived

Now what will their fans say  :teehee:

Meanwhile, we’re still waiting for Lana Del Rey’s new album ‘Norman Fucking Rockwell’. A release date was previously set for March, but March came and went with nary an LP to be found.

:rip:  

i'm loving the slight promo but i feel she's still just fucking around, i mean is she not doing this partly cos she has to promote the film?! the film isn't hers so people are probably like "promote the single for our film pls."

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

i liked summer bummer, but it was also so 'her'. idk, what doesn't help is she's now carved such strong, continuous imagery for herself. she uses the same themes repeatedly and even a lot of the same lyrics, her breaking from that will be really hard. on LFL she tried to do that and failed so bad

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who actually like LFL rip

What’s so bad about it?

Sometimes I feel like I’m the only one who actually like LFL rip

What’s so bad about it?

i feel like her attempt to move away from her 'brand' in order to branch out was contrived to the point where it just became awkward, corny and uncomfortable. politics and happiness just don't seem like natural subjects for her, i don't think they're things she really experiences. plus there was loads of oversimplified clichés in there lyrics wise, i think she struggled on that album and you can tell

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

My thoughts: ‘Doin’ Time’ a step in the right direction musically, because the trip hop LDR is the best LDR for me.

However, it’s way too short, doesn’t build to anything, and since the vocalist has no emotional investment in the material, even in the sort of ‘pretend’ way she did on ‘Diet Mountain Dew,’ it seems even shorter and hollower, more like a demo or a throwaway B-side than a finished track.

The music and the musicians are the stand-outs, rather than LDR. Her voice sounds good, but she seems to breeze through the song without any sense of commitment, style, or care.

LDR had a great talent for clever, slightly cynical social/cultural observations in her early work as LDR, and many of her initial songs, like ‘Radio,’ ‘Diet Mountain Dew,’ ‘Hollywood’s Dead’ and ‘American,’ seemed like intentional, pseudo-satires of Britney Spears tracks—as well as being sincere in their own way nevertheless. That is what I thought her particular genius was, achieving that balance.

So I have been disappointed to see her subsequently literalize her songs, sound and lyrics.

So many young musicians and vocalists start out wanting to be pop stars, but, once they achieve that, many quickly want to become ‘respectable’ ‘artists’ that are critically admired instead. I can understand the desire to evolve, and clearly LDR had the goods to produce songs like ‘Old Money.’

But now she’s even becoming ‘woke’ and PC in her work, which I feel is a further mistake. A little of that goes a long, long way. She was much more successful in the BTD/P period, making those clever, subtle little asides about the current state of America than she has been commenting on the Trump presidency and its ramifications. I don’t want to be lectured on morals or ethics and I don’t want any pretentious virtue signaling.

Still, it’s a shame that that light, effervescent touch of some of her early tracks was lost. So much of her post-‘Paradise’ work seems labored to me, too calculated, too self conscious and lacking in the BTD/P confidence.

That’s what I like about VB—it’s different from her early LDR material in almost every way, but it still has a light, spontaneous touch and feel.

i'm convinced the poetry book cover will just be another selfie goddamnit

I think it will be a scenery, like those pictures she posted on ig  :creep:

i wouldn't be mad at it tho

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

i'm loving the slight promo but i feel she's still just fucking around, i mean is she not doing this partly cos she has to promote the film?! the film isn't hers so people are probably like "promote the single for our film pls."

Possibly. I also see the single as a way of « buying time » before NFR. She must have a release date by now. And she knows we cannot wait anymore, so maybe her strategy will be « Once it begins, it will be fast » (like lead, covert art, preorder and date all at once). So, in the meantime, she stays mute?

My thoughts: ‘Doin’ Time’ a step in the right direction musically, because the trip hop LDR is the best LDR for me.

However, it’s way too short, doesn’t build to anything, and since the vocalist has no emotional investment in the material, even in the sort of ‘pretend’ way she did on ‘Diet Mountain Dew,’ it seems even shorter and hollower, more likee a demo or a throwaway B-side than a finished track.

The music and the musicians are the stand-outs, rather than LDR. Her voice sounds good, but she seems to breeze through the song without any sense of commitment, style, or care.

THIS