Sign in to follow this  
salvatore

California

it is interesting she mentioned/answered the question about California.. and said he lives in London, do we know if Barrie is in London??? 

also does she date Chase still? 

id be interested to know if he's heard the track and how he took it ... hearing her sing that. I mean it may be nothing but it is interesting to meeeeee

IT seems Barrie is in Glasgow

So who tf is in London

in my opinion, i think if she would have said "he's still in glasgow" or whatever would have been too specific and people would know who it was straight away  :w8ing:

in my opinion, i think if she would have said "he's still in glasgow" or whatever would have been too specific and people would know who it was straight away  :w8ing:

Exactly. If she said "Glasgow" then she might as well say, "It's about Barrie, fuckers".

She's obviously not going to do that. He lived in London and goes there regularly, even if he isn't there at the moment.

As usual, she bent the truth. I don't blame her in this case, because it makes sense that she's not going to admit it. We stans are the only people who know precisely who she means. Most people listening to it wouldn't know, or care.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Exactly. If she said "Glasgow" then she might as well say, "It's about Barrie, fuckers".

She's obviously not going to do that. He lived in London and goes there regularly, even if he isn't there at the moment.

As usual, she bent the truth. I don't blame her in this case, because it makes sense that she's not going to admit it. We stans are the only people who know precisely who she means. Most people listening to it wouldn't know, or care.

I agree. Also, it was an intrusive question. I wouldn't even expect her to answer something like that.

I agree. Also, it was an intrusive question. I wouldn't even expect her to answer something like that.

she herself decided to read it out loud out of all questions though :rip:

CALIFORNIA : A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

This track on the surface level seems like a plea by Lana to reconnect with her ex lover who is in a bad place emotionally and Lana feels that if they reunite they would most definitely heal each other.

But if you look at this song from a higher perspective, it really is about Lana Del Rey wanting to reconnect with the pre-fame Lizzy Grant. The one who hadn't witnessed the relentless media attacks and taunts that were unnecessarily brutal to a newcomer who was light years ahead of the music industry. Critics back then questioned every aspect of her personality, calling her a heavily manufactured airhead pop star who was backed by her billionaire father. But 8 years later the tides have changed and now the same critics who taunted her are now sucking up to her. Such hypocrites. It infuriates me the way Lana was dismissed in the beginning. Anyone else in her place probably would have quit the industry, but she being a strong soul not only survived but thrived. She literally overturned the music industry with her revolutionary creativity and is influencing nearly all the new artists as well as old. She has become a GENRE herself. Such is her impact. So many popstars came and burst like fireworks and fizzled out with their forgettable music. But Lana's music keeps on getting better with age just like wine. No wonder BTD is only one of the three albums that stayed on the billboard charts for more than 300 weeks.

So getting back to the song, Lana starts by relaxing and trying to get into a peaceful state of mind and tries to channel her old self (Lizzy) who was flowing with insane amounts of creative storytelling.

The following lines :

//You don't ever have to go faster than your fastest pace Or faster than my fastest cars//

Indicate a sort of Writers Block and Lana is trying to let the muse slip slowly back into her and inspire her lyrically.

The [Pre-Chorus] is again Lana talking to Lizzy in the third person. Perhaps Lizzy Grant (The core aspect of Lana's personality) was a bit suicidal after the insane media backlash. Lana wanted to reach out and help Lizzy get out of the darkness of the industry that had started to consume her. So Lana experienced soul loss through the trial by fire in the industry and now desperately wants to regain that part of her soul which the industry so mercilessly consumed. In order to reunite with Lizzy, Lana is recreating all her favourite old memories such as collecting all her favourite magazines like "Vogues" and "Rolling Stones" and going to all the old places she loved visiting. Lizzy is in hiding and Lana is doing literally everything in her power to lure her out of hiding by even tempting Lizzy with "Top Shelf Liquor" just like in the "Carmen" song.

The line "You're scared to win, scared to lose" indicates that Lana is afraid of becoming too mainstream by following the easy road of forgettable pop hooks but also afraid that she will lose her core fanbase if she fails to deliver soul stirring stories through her music. This is the reason why Lana wants to reconnect with Lizzy to be in a perfectly balanced state of creativity where her songs are catchy but also laced with multi layered symbolism that can only be decoded through several listens. The Internal War that Lana is facing could be easily resolved if Lizzy reunites spiritually with Lana so they could take their Music to even greater heights as Lana has started to feel "Burned Out" as she sings in "The Greatest". In her unreleased track "Velvet Crowbar" Lizzy predicted her own demise in the future when she sings " Burned Yourself Out, Nothing Left" and "You're Not That Bright For A Star". This song was a warning to Lana Del Rey. Now she has come full circle and fulfilled her own prophecy. Lana sings to Lizzy "You're Brighter Than The Brightest Star" in "California". Hope this process of going down Memory Lane helps Lana to once again merge with Lizzy and together they continue to make revolutionary trailblazing music.

CALIFORNIA : A DIFFERENT POINT OF VIEW

This track on the surface level seems like a plea by Lana to reconnect with her ex lover who is in a bad place emotionally and Lana feels that if they reunite they would most definitely heal each other.

But if you look at this song from a higher perspective, it really is about Lana Del Rey wanting to reconnect with the pre-fame Lizzy Grant. The one who hadn't witnessed the relentless media attacks and taunts that were unnecessarily brutal to a newcomer who was light years ahead of the music industry. Critics back then questioned every aspect of her personality, calling her a heavily manufactured airhead pop star who was backed by her billionaire father. But 8 years later the tides have changed and now the same critics who taunted her are now sucking up to her. Such hypocrites. It infuriates me the way Lana was dismissed in the beginning. Anyone else in her place probably would have quit the industry, but she being a strong soul not only survived but thrived. She literally overturned the music industry with her revolutionary creativity and is influencing nearly all the new artists as well as old. She has become a GENRE herself. Such is her impact. So many popstars came and burst like fireworks and fizzled out with their forgettable music. But Lana's music keeps on getting better with age just like wine. No wonder BTD is only one of the three albums that stayed on the billboard charts for more than 300 weeks.

So getting back to the song, Lana starts by relaxing and trying to get into a peaceful state of mind and tries to channel her old self (Lizzy) who was flowing with insane amounts of creative storytelling.

The following lines :

//You don't ever have to go faster than your fastest pace Or faster than my fastest cars//

Indicate a sort of Writers Block and Lana is trying to let the muse slip slowly back into her and inspire her lyrically.

The [Pre-Chorus] is again Lana talking to Lizzy in the third person. Perhaps Lizzy Grant (The core aspect of Lana's personality) was a bit suicidal after the insane media backlash. Lana wanted to reach out and help Lizzy get out of the darkness of the industry that had started to consume her. So Lana experienced soul loss through the trial by fire in the industry and now desperately wants to regain that part of her soul which the industry so mercilessly consumed. In order to reunite with Lizzy, Lana is recreating all her favourite old memories such as collecting all her favourite magazines like "Vogues" and "Rolling Stones" and going to all the old places she loved visiting. Lizzy is in hiding and Lana is doing literally everything in her power to lure her out of hiding by even tempting Lizzy with "Top Shelf Liquor" just like in the "Carmen" song.

The line "You're scared to win, scared to lose" indicates that Lana is afraid of becoming too mainstream by following the easy road of forgettable pop hooks but also afraid that she will lose her core fanbase if she fails to deliver soul stirring stories through her music. This is the reason why Lana wants to reconnect with Lizzy to be in a perfectly balanced state of creativity where her songs are catchy but also laced with multi layered symbolism that can only be decoded through several listens. The Internal War that Lana is facing could be easily resolved if Lizzy reunites spiritually with Lana so they could take their Music to even greater heights as Lana has started to feel "Burned Out" as she sings in "The Greatest". In her unreleased track "Velvet Crowbar" Lizzy predicted her own demise in the future when she sings " Burned Yourself Out, Nothing Left" and "You're Not That Bright For A Star". This song was a warning to Lana Del Rey. Now she has come full circle and fulfilled her own prophecy. Lana sings to Lizzy "You're Brighter Than The Brightest Star" in "California". Hope this process of going down Memory Lane helps Lana to once again merge with Lizzy and together they continue to make revolutionary trailblazing music.

Holy shit this actually sounds really cool although she said it was written about someone who’s still in London so... who knows? But I like this theory!!!

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I was just listening to California and it’s tragic how desperate she sounds. It almost reminds me of Blue Jeans in a way. She’s saying that she’ll grab the liquor from the top shelf for this man if he comes back, even though Bartender (just two songs away) essentially talks about her sobriety. She’ll go back to her old BTD/UV vices if this guy comes back, it’s pretty sad ngl

sgopYhV.gif

i randomly came across this thread, reading all the discussion about folks vs vogues got me giggling lmao this song is literally a response to a song by joni mitchell (who lana is obsessed with for some reason) also called california, and yes it is vogues. 

On 8/15/2020 at 8:38 PM, Crack Prince said:

i randomly came across this thread, reading all the discussion about folks vs vogues got me giggling lmao this song is literally a response to a song by joni mitchell (who lana is obsessed with for some reason) also called california, and yes it is vogues. 

wow definitely didn't know this.

so many of her lines I LOVE, I later find out she borrowed. tastefully, always, but still borrowed...

I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT BUT I READ IT IN YOUR LETTER

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47v1lir562eyfwtkk3msad5r6o3iuavclpgux3rxf0&rid=200w.gif&ct=g

YOU SAID TO A FRIEND THAT YOU WISH YOU WERE DOING BETTER

200.gif?cid=ecf05e47jdmlu2ur56suxdr0h6od

I WANTED TO REACH OUT BUT I NEVER SAID A THING

tenor.gif?itemid=14824894 

*piano notes*

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47rl683fjgvyadkd50xhi

I SHOULDN'T HAVE DONE IT BUT I READ IT IN YOUR LETTER

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47k84zg8r0gcwlahxe6g

YOU SAID TO A FRIEND THAT YOU WISH YOU WERE DOING BETTER

200w.gif?cid=ecf05e47sn9nrj8l500976aq1ni

I WANTED TO CALL YOU BUT I DIDN'T SAY A THING :paris:

giphy.gif

15 hours ago, shadesofyosemite said:

Gazing at horizons but never quite reaching them! And still I tell you every time! OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH

I never heard the demo snippet omg

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif