Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Norman Fucking Rockwell!  

1,016 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from NFR?

• Norman Fucking Rockwell
    • Mariners Apartment Complex
    • Venice Bitch
    • Fuck It, I Love You
    • Doin' Time
    • Love Song
    • Cinnamon Girl
    • How to Disappear
    • California
    • The Next Best American Record
    • The Greatest
    • Bartender
    • Happiness is a Butterfly
    • hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but i have it

Ok so I was a little disappointed with the full version of Happiness is a Butterfly. It was the song I was most excited for with the release of the album. The chorus is just insanely gorgeous. However, the verses don’t seem to fit with it as well. I’m always caught off guard when the chorus starts. It’s like 2 songs were morphed into one. It doesn’t flow smoothly imo. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Edit: honestly it sounds kinda like 3 songs morphed into one. 1) the verses 2) the chorus (“happiness is a butterfly”) and 3) the post-chorus (“I said don’t be a jerk”). The chorus and post-chorus flow better together than the verses and choruses, but they each could be parts of a separate song imo.

I love this song! It does seem like 2 songs morphed into one but that's fine. I LOVE  the whole "I said don’t be a jerk” section.

Ok so I was a little disappointed with the full version of Happiness is a Butterfly. It was the song I was most excited for with the release of the album. The chorus is just insanely gorgeous. However, the verses don’t seem to fit with it as well. I’m always caught off guard when the chorus starts. It’s like 2 songs were morphed into one. It doesn’t flow smoothly imo. Does anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Edit: honestly it sounds kinda like 3 songs morphed into one. 1) the verses 2) the chorus (“happiness is a butterfly”) and 3) the post-chorus (“I said don’t be a jerk”). The chorus and post-chorus flow better together than the verses and choruses, but they each could be parts of a separate song imo.

Several people have said the same thing here, including me, over the last several months. The chorus is beautiful and deserved something connected to it that was a lot better. I consider it the nadir of her songwriting on NFR.

If I were not a fan of LDR's or didn't know her music at all, and heard HIAB, not only would the mashed-together quality still jump out at me, but I'd think she was an amateur or flash-in-the-pan, not the person who was capable of writing 'Ride,' ‘Yayo,’'Old Money,' 'Black Beauty,' 'Terrence Loves You' and '13 Beaches.'

I'm surprised Jack allowed himself to be associated with it. The 'ba-a-bies' and 'oh-who-whos' are so forced and lazy.

After “Norman” came out to glowing reviews, you took to Twitter to criticize a piece written by NPR Music critic Ann Powers, a longtime champion of female artists. Your fans then trolled her. Why did you choose to go that route?

First of all, and this is very me, there were a million beautiful reviews that I didn’t read. And then I randomly see this one thing. In the piece, she said that I’d overcome something, and the way she said it one can only assume she meant I’d overcome child abuse. I’m like, “Don’t bring kids into it. Even if it’s me.” And I’ve never said anything about that.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2019-10-03/lana-del-rey-hollywood-bowl-norman-rockwell

What the fuck is she talking about? 

Yeah, I can't work out if, with this statement, she's acknowledging that she was a victim of child abuse, or ...?

She said something about not sharing everything about her family and childhood in her next answer, which makes it all sound super sketchy. WTF?

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Yeah, I can't work out if, with this statement, she's acknowledging that she was a victim of child abuse, or ...?

She said something about not sharing everything about her family and childhood in her next answer, which makes it all sound super sketchy. WTF?

"I’m not throwing everything out there on the table for a reason. Mostly because my family is big and they’re here. I don’t go there. So it’s like, “Why do you think that you're going to be the one to put that out there?”

marty-im-scared-47005580.png

The Beatles have a song called A Day in the Life that has been joked about being “at least three great songs” because it sounds like, well, three songs mashed together. We should start saying that about Happiness is a Butterfly. HIAB truly is “at least three great songs” as well.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

yeah, it's really weird... i read the review but there wasn't any part of it that made me think of child abuse, so there might be a reason why it triggered her so much. or maybe we're overanalysing again as usual lol

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

yeah, it's really weird... i read the review but there wasn't any part of it that made me think of child abuse, so there might be a reason why it triggered her so much. or maybe we're overanalysing again as usual lol

I read it too and I don't recall anything of that nature crossing my mind. 

Bizarre. Obviously, I'd like to think that we've got it all wrong, but it definitely seems like that's what she's getting at. 

On a much lighter note, absolutely no one will be shocked at her calling her probably-non-existent cover album "Pacific BLUE". 

her sister taking mostly bad photos of her is def kind of abuse... hidden jealousx or smth

This is uh ... not it

PLEASEEE DONT ATTACK ME

but i interpreted it as someone in her family may have abused her.

Quite a few of us interpreted it the same way, sis.

her sister taking mostly bad photos of her is def kind of abuse... hidden jealousx or smth

it is clear she does NOT KNOW the reason why she attacked that woman... she tried to justify... but she failed

please delete your account

giphy.gif

Can you elaborate on this?

I feel like it's the Freak/Cherry of NFR. Don't get me wrong, it's a good song, she sounds amazing and I enjoy it but in my opinion it doesn't fit with the rest of the album, sonically. Especially the outro. I'm glad we have it but in the context of the record it feels a little out of place.

please don't be rude uwu

if people are gonna joke about child abuse i don't think it's rude of me to put them in their place, but I'll rephrase it so I don't come off as rude: DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT ABUSE.

giphy.gif

if people are gonna joke about child abuse i don't think it's rude of me to put them in their place, but I'll rephrase it so I don't come off as rude: DON'T MAKE JOKES ABOUT ABUSE.

Lana herself makes fun of abuse when she references it in many of her songs (ultraviolence, diet mountain dew, beautiful player) and it's fine.

Lana herself makes fun of abuse when she references it in many of her songs (ultraviolence, diet mountain dew, beautiful player) and it's fine.

You really think those references are making fun of abuse? They're never made in a joking way.