Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Pre-Release Thread

I'm unsure who I'm writing this for (myself?) but to be clear:

Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass is a book, which is going to have two releases. The accompanying record is going to be spoken extracts from the book - the important distinction is you should consider this an audio book and not a spoken word album.

The first release is an abridged audio-book version, which contains 14 selected poems read by Lana, with music accompanied by Jack. It's coming out 28 July 2020, and will run at 33 minutes long. Vinyl and CD has just been announced and will be released 2 October 2020.

Pre-order the audio book here.

Pre-order the physical CD/vinyl here.

The second release is a physical, hardcopy version of the book. It contains 30 poems, many of which are "exclusive to the book". It's coming out 29 September 2020, and is 112 pages long. In addition as per the publisher note:

"This beautiful hardcover edition showcases Lana’s typewritten manuscript pages alongside her original photography. The result is an extraordinary poetic landscape that reflects the unguarded spirit of its creator."

Pre-order the digital/Kindle edition.

Pre-order the physical edition.

3lfQEhw.png

"Audion book" as in poetry album with Jack playing piano in the background or Audio book as in Lana reading her book word for word without music playing in the background? Because Lana makes its sound like it's a poetry album with music so there's confusion here. 

Visuals already on amazon

61bwoOgU8tL.jpg

61qEW7b6hQL.jpg

61zJgLbgezL.jpg

"Audion book" as in poetry album with Jack playing piano in the background or Audio book as in Lana reading her book word for word without music playing in the background? Because Lana makes its sound like it's a poetry album with music so there's confusion here. 

The distinction is so finite lol, words are being thrown around with microscopic distinction so I will clarify as best I can.

The 'audio book' will have music from Jack. There will not be a release of Lana speaking poetry without music.

It's classified as an 'audio book', as it is an audio recorded body of work of her upcoming published book. Audio books do often have music accompanying them, here are some examples. But technically this isn't a 'spoken word album', as this project was conceived as a book first and then an abridged* audio book version was created (although hilariously in this condition, the opposite way around).

For all intents and purposes you could refer to it as 'audio book', 'spoken album', 'poetry album' - they are all interchangeable, but for listings on Amazon, iTunes etc it's going to promoted to GP as the 'audio book'.

All things which I'm sure will be eligible for 'Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album'.  :oic2:

*also to complicate the terminology further . . . the 'audio book' is going to be classified as 'Unabridged' despite the original release only having 13 poems instead of the 30.

3lfQEhw.png

Sorry if someone asked this before but does someone know if the audio book will be on Spotify?

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

https://www.amazon.de/Be-Confirmed-Simon-Schuster-ebook/dp/B08B6HR6Y4/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1594280190&sr=8-2

On the German Amazon page they're showing a hardcover and a paperback version. Do they show that on other pages too? There still aren't even pictures for the physical books and the audiobook isn't available either so maybe they have wrong information? I don't want to pay 12€ more for hardcover if it's the same as the paperback version.

https://www.amazon.de/Be-Confirmed-Simon-Schuster-ebook/dp/B08B6HR6Y4/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1594280190&sr=8-2

On the German Amazon page they're showing a hardcover and a paperback version. Do they show that on other pages too? There still aren't even pictures for the physical books and the audiobook isn't available either so maybe they have wrong information? I don't want to pay 12€ more for hardcover if it's the same as the paperback version.

i doubt theyd release both hard- and paperback at the same time. usually, paperbacks go into print at least a year after the hardcover came out

image.png

The distinction is so finite lol, words are being thrown around with microscopic distinction so I will clarify as best I can.

The 'audio book' will have music from Jack. There will not be a release of Lana speaking poetry without music.

It's classified as an 'audio book', as it is an audio recorded body of work of her upcoming published book. Audio books do often have music accompanying them, here are some examples. But technically this isn't a 'spoken word album', as this project was conceived as a book first and then an abridged* audio book version was created (although hilariously in this condition, the opposite way around).

For all intents and purposes you could refer to it as 'audio book', 'spoken album', 'poetry album' - they are all interchangeable, but for listings on Amazon, iTunes etc it's going to promoted to GP as the 'audio book'.

All things which I'm sure will be eligible for 'Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album'.  :oic2:

*also to complicate the terminology further . . . the 'audio book' is going to be classified as 'Unabridged' despite the original release only having 13 poems instead of the 30.

Makes sense now, thanks. 

I hope Billie what's her name doesn't decide to make a poetry album. She doesn't need to steal Grammy for Best Spoken Word Album from Lana too.  :smh: 

i doubt theyd release both hard- and paperback at the same time. usually, paperbacks go into print at least a year after the hardcover came out

You're right, thanks! I'll just go with the cheaper version then, but how annoying that they're trying to rip people off!

I might be more excited for this than COCC

Me too, maybe it’s because we don’t really know much about the album yet?

so it’s not being put on spotify huh...

How do we know that? :O

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Me too, maybe it’s because we don’t really know much about the album yet?

At the moment yeah! I'm also excited to see how her writing makes me feel when it's not constricted to being a song. I know I'll obviously listen to the album more than listening/reading the poems, but maybe I'll end up loving one or more of the poems just as much as I love her music, who knows  :flutter:  

put it in my basket to see what the expected delivery date is for the paperback and it's october 12th but it's not listed as a release date unlike the hardcover which has the same september date as everywhere else, so i wouldn't count on it coming in october it might just be amazon putting something there and delaying it until they get a release date from the publisher.

i76mrxw.png 

put it in my basket to see what the expected delivery date is for the paperback and it's october 12th but it's not listed as a release date unlike the hardcover which has the same september date as everywhere else, so i wouldn't count on it coming in october it might just be amazon putting something there and delaying it until they get a release date from the publisher.

I saw that too, so I still haven't ordered anything. I'm hoping once she officially announces the date more reliable options open up, maybe on other pages than amazon. They also put "To be confirmed Simon & Schuster" as the author & it's annoying me that they're offering things that they don't even have confirmed info about yet.

is anyone else waiting to preorder till lana announces it today? i want to see if she’ll put it on her online store and if they’ll be bundles.

I wish I could be that patience. Pre ordered it last night but maybe if there will be a nice bundle I'll buy it too but only if it is not like 100 $ that would be too much lol

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

She honestly should just have announced it directly yesterday rather than make the announcement of an announcement... Did she think we wouldn’t look up everywhere to find the dates lol?

She honestly should just have announced it directly yesterday rather than make the announcement of an announcement... Did she think we wouldn’t look up everywhere to find the dates lol?

exactly! however i think she has something else up her sleeve and not just the poetry release dates for today and i am very excited