Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Pre-Release Thread

I preordered it on Amazon, because it’s audible’s store. I should be on Audible in a couple of hours, when it’s available.

So did I but I've read that Amazon won't release it until midnight Pacific time  :poordat:  :poordat:

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/question/0D54P00006zIbxmSAC/preorder-release-dateswhat-time-is-it-at-amazon

5fe355eac0b664d0bc39e10665a55b42.gif

She's a gorgeous narcissist and she knows it.

I am kinda still reeling from this. Kudos to this being properly releasing and not having some random 10 year old leak it #CassetteGirl

This just elevates her legitimacy as one of America's greatest artists even higher. I really resisted reading too much or weighing into her poetry before now, but listening to her words and the authenticity in the delivery, I think this is one of her greatest artistic creations . . . maybe the best. Listening to the her speak the words conjures up so many images but the intertextual references to her body of work (and directly to Norman FUCKING Rockwell!) are also clever and considered to the point where it feels familiar. And the stories she tells are heartbreaking, beautiful, hopeful - there are too many good moments to mention but the best of the album is Sports Cruiser, where she earnestly confesses her self-doubt and imposter syndrome before resolving to change. The vulnerability is stunning. That, or the serene horror of Bare Feet on Linoleum, where a cacophony of voices ask questions over and over along with rising, moaning strings and synths - creating a terrifying dimension as Lana speaks over them before joining in as if she's been hypnotised. Awesome.

I've totally disregarded Jack's contributions to NFR in the past, but his incidental music took me totally by surprise. I'm sorry. @Jarred is right. His music has huge range, like I said drawing from all kinds of sounds that remind me of Brian Eno's scores to Debussy's pianos. It's the perfect level of pleasant without boarding into obnoxiously inappropriate. Delicate soft electronic wefts that sparkle, soft and lilting pianos, quirky jazz that flows like a radio play - it accentuates Lana's vulnerability, and without it the work would not be the same. 

I am looking forward to rearranging a playlist of NFR's songs and Violet's poems, which I think would flow amazingly, and definitely allow a bit more variety. I think the scrappy, unpolished vocals on their own would've sounded bizarre but among the well produced sound, it couldn't have been more authentic.

I have mocked the process in the past but I'm definitely eating shit now because this was so, so worth it. Lana I'll never question you again I'M SORRY.

Okay, after reading this I'm REALLY excited now! Tomorrow can't come early enough. (I wasn't too sure of the entire project when we first heard of it several months ago but wow, it seems to be something really special.)

I saw that Bullmoose has the LP up here. I order a lot of vinyl from them and know they're reliable, but what's interesting is their listing seems to indicate the LP comes with a CD. Is that news?

I actually asked them about this on twitter and they finally got back to me to say they fixed the listing and it's just the LP now...  :creep:

But wait my audible thing says it’s coming in 3 hrs and 11 minutes.... I live in US eastern time. So it’s coming before midnight? I’m so confused.

That shouldn't happen but sounds like another mini mess - enjoy the advantage!  ;)

But wait my audible thing says it’s coming in 3 hrs and 11 minutes.... I live in US eastern time. So it’s coming before midnight? I’m so confused.

I'm in Canada EST and mine also says coming in 3 hours.  :hdu:

I'm in Canada EST and mine also says coming in 3 hours. :hdu:

I hope it’s accurate!! I really would love to listen early and not have to stay up until midnight. :) enjoy your listening :)

I honestly think it’ll be out on streaming services worldwide all at the same time, idk. Usually her singles drop at regional times and her albums drop all at once. And of course book apps would probably be allowed to release it the day of in their regions (or I guess a couple hours early?). Idk maybe I’m being delusional (call me a clown later if I’m wrong idc) but that makes sense to me. The drop is very messy so who knows lol.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

All of this triggered me so I checked too and the first thing I saw was 39 mins (the length of the audiobook) which I freaked out at in my delusional excitement before processing  :crossed:

mine says that too and i live in southern europe :crossed:

mine says that too and i live in southern europe :crossed:

I honestly think it’ll be out on streaming services worldwide all at the same time, idk. Usually her singles drop at regional times and her albums drop all at once. And of course book apps would probably be allowed to release it the day of in their regions (or I guess a couple hours early?). Idk maybe I’m being delusional (call me a clown later if I’m wrong idc) but that makes sense to me. The drop is very messy so who knows lol.

Mine says 2 hours 50 minutes! I guess it's just a set time besides Australia then! How exciting!