Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

Spoiler

Cocc is so sexy mature and intellectual. Quirky yet sultry and seductive.  Raw personal and emotional. Idk I’m rambling adjectives but that’s how it is sometimes lol.  

21 minutes ago, redsangrias said:
  Hide contents

I'm thinking that, like how Paradise was an "afterthought" of Born To Die

Chemtrails is an "afterthought" of Norman Fucking Rockwell

It's like a spin-off sister album. For example if she removed the Nikki duet, and put For Free on a covers album, Chemtrails would basically be an EP just like Paradise.

I AGREE I love how casual it feels as well

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

1 hour ago, evalionisameme said:

Slow beat laden songs with reverbed breathy female vocals basically is trip hop in itself but it can be pretty experimental.

I think that is a VERY broad understanding of that genre andit's sound - which, although diverse, is actually pretty profilic. Yeah, dreamy andmelancholic vibes with strings, reverb and slow beats are a huge part of it, but I woul never think of HM as trip hop. I also listened to it "for all of mylife", so when I think about it, I envision Portishead, Massive Attack, Bowery Electric, Archive's Londinium, Tricky's Maxinquaye, Laika, Flying Lotus, Bonobo, DJ Cam, Lamb, early Moloko etc. And HM is really not close to any of this.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

13 minutes ago, Pico Boulevard said:
  Hide contents

I think this album will be like Honeymoon - many people don't like it but over time they will start to love it. This album is a slow burner and only the intellectuals will love it from the very beginning :oprah3:

Once you actually start noticing different layers and how the structures are built it gets three times as interesting. It's gonna age so so so well!

I think the album is finally growing on me after the third listen. I still have a lot to absorb from it, but I am starting to connect with it.

...but I've still got jazz, when I've got those blues.

Just now, kitschesque said:

Hide contents

Once you actually start noticing different layers and how the structures are built it gets three times as interesting. It's gonna age so so so well!

Spoiler

This 100%, it’s so much better with each new listen.

Just now, YosemiteAv said:
  Hide contents

Your mind because It's so beautiful~

not worth the wait for me, sorry

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

35 minutes ago, redsangrias said:
  Hide contents

I'm thinking that, like how Paradise was an "afterthought" of Born To Die

Chemtrails is an "afterthought" of Norman Fucking Rockwell

It's like a spin-off sister album. For example if she removed the Nikki duet, and put For Free on a covers album, Chemtrails would basically be an EP just like Paradise.

I agree, but I guess I would compare it more to the connection between UV and HM. Even though both have a distinct, different sound, something about the artistic vision, the sonical landscape and the overall atmosphere seems to be similar. Like two different emotional and cognitive  aspects of the same topic, if that makes sense.

UV was dark and intense, an emotional breakdown moment. HM was its afterthought, the more subtle, withdrawn and contemplative dimension of that state of mind.

Similarly, Norman is very summery, maritime and while it has its poetic and contemplative moments, it's generally more "outgoing". Chemtrails on the other hand seems so somber and reclusive, like the silence that fills your house after your friends have left.

While her thoughts got distracted by the situations and people around her on NFR, she's alone with them on CoCC.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Spoiler

Ranking after a couple of listens:

Dark but just a game
Wild at heart
Not all who wander are lost
Yosemite
Dancing till we die
White dress
Breaking up slowly
Tulsa Jesus freak

Hot take but I think Breaking Up Slowly fits great within the album! It just makes sense in the tracklisting and is a nice break. Them harmonizing is also very very pretty. I'm a huge fan of this track. If DTWD came right after Yosemite it'd be so dull lol. And now it's a breath of fresh air.

Spoiler

I must start saying that I'm a NFR hater

Now let's move to my opinion on the album

I only listened to 6 tracks and only once, so I could still be excited for the release in the 19th.

I was so ready to hate it, since it was produced by Antonoff, but I actually like it. 

White Dress is a highlight. It would be better if it was produced by Dan, instead of Jack. I can't wait to hear it in vinyl quality

TJF was the only song that got stuck in my head. I had to control myself to not play it again

Yosemite was the track that I was expecting the most. I wasn't disappointed. It was really worth the wait

For Free was everything that I had imagined. I love Lana, Zella and Weyes. Hear them together is entering heaven. I just wish it had more instrumentals in the end of the song. The ending was kinda abrupt

I'll have to listen again to come up with a final opinion. The only thing that I didn't really liked it was the instrumentals in some songs. They seem lazy. And the constant mention of the candle in the wind. Her voice doesn't sound nice when she pronounces it and it looks tacky.

I hope she goes full folk with her next album and collabs with Field Medic (she follows him on ig and their music sounds like they can blend together). This album seems more a natural flow from L4L than NFR

On a first listen my hank is:

HM>UV>BTD>PARADISE>LFL=COCC>NFR