Elle

Blue Banisters - Pre-Release Thread: OUT October 22nd, 2021

4 hours ago, gsf said:

Actually I guess I can count 5 tracks. And by each track length, looks legit……

It doesn’t. Track three is shorter than track two (but Arcadia is longer than Blue Banisters) + track four is clearly not a one minute long interlude 

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

2 minutes ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Does anyone else have any expectations on the tracks we haven’t heard yet based on their placement/the title?

I know it’s not much to go off of, but the thread is moving slowly, so..

5.) Black Bathing Suit: The Tulsa Jesus Freak of the record—a little less emotionally heavy and maybe the most “sultry” track on the record. 

6.) If You Lie Down With Me: I picture it as a track with the lyrical sentiments of Love song and the soundscape of Text book’s verses…except more bluesy. 

7.) Beautiful: I have no idea, honestly! Is it about her life? Her lover? Is the title deceptive & we’ll actually get a lyric like with Change’s, “I don’t feel beautiful or stable”?

8.) Violets for Roses: It’s an interesting title, and I feel like the respective meanings of the flowers will be important. Maybe she’ll say something like, “I traded my violets for roses.”

15.) Sweet Caroline: I’m 99% sure it’ll be Lana paying homage to her relationship with Chuck. It’ll be the best piano accompaniment she’s released, but fans will be divided by the track: some will call it one of her best closers (I like to think that it will be), but others will deem it boring because of its production. 

What does everyone else think??

I think that Violets for Roses will be the "Bartender" of the album, in the sense that it might be very meandering and experiment with more of a free flowing instrumentation. Black Bathing Suit will likely be the usual fan favorite track, but I don't know what to expect of it, really. I predict that Sweet Carolina will contrast with Cherry Blossom in a way in terms of style. I think that CB has somewhat of an anxiety about facing the world to it, despite its maternal and soothing lullaby. Sweet Carolina will likely be the answer, or response to Text Book, and really focus on being in a good place with her family, instead of facing that longing or search.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Just now, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

Does anyone else have any expectations on the tracks we haven’t heard yet based on their placement/the title?

I know it’s not much to go off of, but the thread is moving slowly, so..

5.) Black Bathing Suit: The Tulsa Jesus Freak of the record—a little less emotionally heavy and maybe the most “sultry” track on the record. 

6.) If You Lie Down With Me: I picture it as a track with the lyrical sentiments of Love song and the soundscape of Text book’s verses…except more bluesy. 

7.) Beautiful: I have no idea, honestly! Is it about her life? Her lover? Is the title deceptive & we’ll actually get a lyric like with Change’s, “I don’t feel beautiful or stable”?

8.) Violets for Roses: It’s an interesting title, and I feel like the respective meanings of the flowers will be important. Maybe she’ll say something like, “I traded my violets for roses.”

15.) Sweet Caroline: I’m 99% sure it’ll be Lana paying homage to her relationship with Chuck. It’ll be the best piano accompaniment she’s released, but fans will be divided by the track: some will call it one of her best closers (I like to think that it will be), but others will deem it boring because of its production. 

What does everyone else think??

black bathing suit - i know a lot of people are expecting a sexy bop or the "cherry" of this album, however i'm anticipating that she'll surprise us! i think it could possibly be like "heroin", something very confessional & cathartic, considering that it could be about her teenage years, or her relationship with the paparazzi, and since this album seems to be very heavy & in-depth in general, it makes sense that it could be more confessional & meaningful

if you lie down with me - i get pretty when you cry vibes from this title, also with the info we know about it, i think it'll have some rock/electric guitar influences, but considering it was reworked with drew erikson, it might have the simplisitic, alternative vibe the rest of the album has

beautiful - think this song will be more subdued & simplistic in it's production, similar to nfr/cotcc? maybe with a piano or acoustic guitar?

violets for roses - i get honeymoon/lust for life vibes from this title, something light, breezy, floral, & cloudy

sweet carolina - this is the song i'm the most excited for! i have a feeling it'll be very melancholic & beautiful, perhaps like "yayo", "oh say can you see", or "into dust" by mazzy star!

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

Just now, Thunder said:

I think that Violets for Roses will be the "Bartender" of the album, in the sense that it might be very meandering and experiment with more of a free flowing instrumentation. Black Bathing Suit will likely be the usual fan favorite track, but I don't know what to expect of it, really. I predict that Sweet Carolina will contrast with Cherry Blossom in a way in terms of style. I think that CB has somewhat of an anxiety about facing the world to it, despite its maternal and soothing lullaby. Sweet Carolina will likely be the answer, or response to Text Book, and really focus on being in a good place with her family, instead of facing that longing or search.

Omg I love this, and I 100% agree about the Bartender comparison; I got that vibe as well! The title (VFR) itself feels kinda abstract, so I’m hoping we’re in for an interesting song! 

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

Black Bathing Suit: I've said it before but the interlude must be some sort of a build-up. It's the longest track on the album as well. The fact that it's on Side A of the vinyl along with the first four tracks could mean that it's similarly heavy in terms of emotion. I expect a very dark song to be honest. The trap and spaghetti western influences will be there, I suppose, but I think this will be closer to, say, White Dress/Blackest Day/Heroin in terms of emotion than the likes of Cherry/Cinnamon Girl/Tulsa Jesus Freak despite its deceptively sultry title. Lana talked about the hate she's received in the lyrics of Arcadia, so this could be the big emotional explosion (talking about the paparazzi and body shaming perhaps?). It's interesting that it is rumored to be the very last song she wrote and recorded for the album. 

If You Lie Down With Me: Yeah, I think this one is going to be a rock & bluesy ballad and I do have a great feeling about this. Barrie brought something raw in his collaborations with Lana, and Erickson can bring the ethereal. I think this will be the big fan favourite to be honest.

Beautiful: It sounds like it could be the dreamiest song on the album with a lot of spacey synths and a very transcendent quality overall. But it could be something very pop, or something very stripped down as well. I have no idea. 

Violets for Roses: I'm getting major jazz/blues vibes from this. I mean...it'll play right before Dealer. It could be the calm before the storm or it could be something very abstract and lyrically complex. I love the title!

Sweet Carolina: Lana serving Mazzy Star realness would be everything. I think it'll complete Cherry Blossom and somehow reflect and respond to the opening track of the album, Text Book. It'll be quite stripped down; I'll be surprised if there is more than piano lol. But I think it could be very very good. 

8 minutes ago, imenos said:

daily reminder that hollywood's dead's production and melody is better than all blue banisters releases + chemtrails album + norman album all combined and that is a fact. 

delusional-confused.gif

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Here are my thoughts on the elusive songs in the middle of the tracklist! 

To me, Black Bathing Suit being the longest track suggests that it will be lyrically dense and thoughtful, perhaps with a bit of sonic variation. I’m thinking it will be in the lyrical vein of hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it, with production comparable to Text Book or Heroin.  

I think If You Lie Down With Me will have a bit of a roughness to it, with some very minimal grunge influences in terms of the mixing of the instruments. I think it will be thoughtful, moody and driven by minor chords — I’m imagining it to have the pacing and melancholy of Riverside, the atmosphere of Black Beauty, and the guitar work of Unidentified Flying Bill. I’m also sensing some very subtle but driving drums on this one, maybe like a quieter version of the ones that underlie the verses of West Coast. 

Right off the bat, Beautiful is a stark title that is quite classic and romantic, so I imagine that it would have a similar arrangement to Arcadia with its orchestral elements. I think this one will be driven by her vocals, maybe like the ones on Summertime (The Gershwin Version)

Violets for Roses I imagine to have a bit of a jazz feel, with a gorgeous pastoral sound similar to Lana’s covers of The Other Woman and The Good Life. I think it will have some beautiful saxophone work that I’ve previously referred to as “garden jazz” and I imagine some sweeping guitar and lots of mellotron. I think this one will be lyrically sweet but with a layer of bitterness that you need to listen to closely in order to hear it.  It’s the song before Dealer, and even though haven’t heard it, I gather that Dealer is quite a strong track, so I could see Violets for Roses being a crescendo within the album’s narrative (before we get to the explosive, climactic center-point that is Dealer).  

1 minute ago, IanadeIrey said:

Here are my thoughts on the elusive songs in the middle of the tracklist! 

To me, Black Bathing Suit being the longest track suggests that it will be lyrically dense and thoughtful, perhaps with a bit of sonic variation. I’m thinking it will be in the lyrical vein of hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have - but I have it, with production comparable to Text Book or Heroin.  

I think If You Lie Down With Me will have a bit of a roughness to it, with some very minimal grunge influences in terms of the mixing of the instruments. I think it will be thoughtful, moody and driven by minor chords — I’m imagining it to have the pacing and melancholy of Riverside, the atmosphere of Black Beauty, and the guitar work of Unidentified Flying Bill. I’m also sensing some very subtle but driving drums on this one, maybe like a quieter version of the ones that underlie the verses of West Coast. 

Right off the bat, Beautiful is a stark title that is quite classic and romantic, so I imagine that it would have a similar arrangement to Arcadia with its orchestral elements. I think this one will be driven by her vocals, maybe like the ones on Summertime (The Gershwin Version)

Violets for Roses I imagine to have a bit of a jazz feel, with a gorgeous pastoral sound similar to Lana’s covers of The Other Woman and The Good Life. I think it will have some beautiful saxophone work that I’ve previously referred to as “garden jazz” and I imagine some sweeping guitar and lots of mellotron. I think this one will be lyrically sweet but with a layer of bitterness that you need to listen to closely in order to hear it.  It’s the song before Dealer, and even though haven’t heard it, I gather that it’s quite a strong track, so I could see this one being a crescendo within the album’s narrative (before we get to the explosive, climactic center-point that is Dealer).  

what are your thoughts on "sweet carolina"? :flutter:

ezgif-1-9fe66f8123

3 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

what are your thoughts on "sweet carolina"? :flutter:

I totally think Sweet Carolina will be a very impactful closer, perhaps with similar production and vocals to the title track! This is the only song where I really have no idea what to expect, actually, I know it will be so good :wowcry:

Sweet Carolina was recorded in one take. So was "Pretty When You Cry" and "Yosemite." It's going to be beautiful :et:

idk how y’all have ideas about what the middle songs could/will sound like i literally don’t know what to expect at all :raven: 

except maybe bbs being something dark, sexy and/or cherry/cinnamon/freak like and if you lie down with me being in a UV/pwyc/mpg vein :hair:

In my head it will be something like that:

Black Bathing SuitCherry/Cinnamon Girl/Tulsa Jesus Freak sultry-esque feeling meets Heroin density and emotional baggage. Some trap influences, lots of synths. Fan favorite material. Every +5min song this bitch has ever done is a masterpiece, so I'm certain it's a banger already. 

If You Lie Down With Me: Since it has Barrie's help in the development, I assume it's more guitar oriented, maybe a little bluesy like some Ultraviolence tracks (being an UV outtake I don't expect less than that).

Beautiful: Seemingly a piano ballad in the vein of Arcadia, with strings and Drew's dreamy production. Exuberant vocal moment, probably. 

Violets For RosesSo, according to the dream I had this night, this song is the jazziest moment in the record. It evokes Honeymoon with horns and a cozy sax in the background with piano as well. I sense a reminiscence of Dance Till We Die meets Honeymoon meets Bartender. A gem.

Sweet Carolina: Following Cherry Blossom, probably will be a cute piano lullaby, idk.

Black Bathing Suit - I'm gonna be honest I don't even have any expectations for this song sonically, I just know it's good :true: In a perfect world it'd be guitar heavy, or maybe even have a jazz influence. All I know is that, no matter what it's about, it's gonna be the Freak/Cherry/Cinnamon Girl/TFJ of the album 

If You Lie Down With Me - I kind of see this song as being similar to the unreleased songs from 2013, so almost folk rock oriented in a way. Like Riverside, Living Legend and UFB had a baby. I think it's gonna have a really strong grand piano with guitar and drums thrown in around the chorus. 

Beautiful - I feel like it's gonna be piano based, but be really string heavy. I can almost see it being similar to Old Money in production but with a more cheery vibe. I think this song is gonna have really good lyrics, too. 

Violets For Roses - For some reason every time I see the title the French Restaurant pre-chorus plays in my head, so I think it's gonna sound similar to that song sonically. If those lyrics that were on that t-shirt are legit, I think it's gonna be a really sweet song with, like I said, piano and maybe some strings at some point. 

Sweet Carolina - This song gives me Dance Til We Die vibes and I have no clue why. I feel like it uses a lot of piano and brass instruments, but that the focus of the song is more on the lyrics than the production. 

imageproxy.jpg

I'm chilling w the tracks for now, my subconscious'll just pick things up when they do but what I want to know is what questions'll the album itself answer. 

bbs - hoping it's as epic as West Coast, track no. 5 always gets me hyped for that. 
Lie Down W Me - when ur in bed w someone, there's a sense of trust and collaboration
Beautiful - what kind? might be more about the movement that she mentioned. many things can be beautiful, but they either end up in a museum or get forgotten. so what's the centering point? 
Violets - flower symbolism defo 
SC: maybe like a sweet send off track sim to DTWD but a lot more poignant

where we are with her as fans and herself. 
what has healed. what has changed, and how. 
who is she in love with now, and what kind? there must be some for herself after going thru this entire world touring journey, there's got to be some kind of growth and to follow w WD's perspective. 

Chemtrails dealt with finding a home and family which she did. 
so it sorta feels like a kind of celebration. 

what themes will it have? how will she go about it? revenge is best when someone just does better than how they were done. perhaps that's what she's doing. 

covers. 

at the very bottom of things, I wanna know what the core is, and rn, I'm really guessing that it'll be about doing things in the most respectful of ways, so u can look back at your life with pride and joy. 

and now. at the end of my 5 min thesis. i'd like the vinyl physical copy photos to leak thank you ZKNvM5K.gif

UV/Honeymoon

BBS I feel is too long to be the freak/cherry/cg/TJF of the album tbh. With it being the longest track I think it’s gonna be in the same soundscape as Text book, and the lyrics are gonna be heart wrenching 

IYLDWM I think is gonna be in the same vein as NOTG

In my head, Beautiful is going to be the TJF/CG/cherry of the album. I’m not really sure what to expect at all with it tbh it’s the one song not on my radar of ones I’m super hyped about 

Violets for Roses i think is going to be a super bittersweet song. According to the merch, the lyrics go “I traded my violets for roses” and I think it’s going to be more bitter than thankful, and it’s the song before dealer so I think it’s really gonna set that tone 

Sweet Carolina I’m hoping surprises me but I’m not sure how I feel about it yet!

Lastly, I’m really hoping that the leaked songs are changed up a little. Not that they aren’t fantastic as they are now, but they could definitely use a little more filling. Arcadia really surprised me with the orchestra being added so I’m hoping all the Erickson songs follow in that 

"Don’t forget me"