Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

The fake lyrics are still on my Spotify :oprah2:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

23 minutes ago, burthday kake said:

of course any discussion on anything should be conducted in a mature, respectful matter- goes without saying. 

why wouldn’t critiques on Jack or producers in general be valid though, if critiques on the song are ? 

production is a obv a HUGE & important part of what makes up a song.. production IS the song too…(and can make or break it in some cases)  it’s not exactly “frivolous” imo, it goes hand in hand with the lyrics / singing.

I’m not referring to that, though. Production critiques on their own can be valid. In my initial response to you, I listed the kinds of comments that I was referring to. It’s unfortunate that that’s not translating.

Also - the part of my very first post about “meaningless discourse” and “nitpicking” was very ancillary to the main point, so rest be assured that I’m not stifling any discussion lol! I’m not that powerful or important to be able to do that. :smile2:

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

Being a longtime and thorough Twin Peaks fan, that's an interesting analysis, DC. Maybe 'The Grants' will further reflect on a family dynamic, that being the source, in one way of looking at it, of Laura's problems? 

I admit I really don't understand the point, or points, that the first part of the song are making or attempting to, or how they relate to Lana herself, if at all. I assume the lyrics are about someone else, a character Lana has invented, or are observations she's made about women in the United States and how they're treated, or a combination of all of these (the most likely, I think).

The character in the song does sound passed saving or reversing her current situation, so if she were Laura, it would have to be Laura towards the very end, the last days shown in 'Fire Walk With Me,' and the references to the lack of a God, or a response from God, somewhat reflects the end of 'FWWM,' when the angel arrives but it's too late, and Laura laughs hysterically at the irony. That's how I interpret the end of 'FWWM,' and I consider it one of the most grueling and painful endings in all of cinema. 

The A&W lyrics do seem to have been written, or composed, in the 'new' method she spoke about 6 months ago, about speaking spontaneously and semi-randomly into a mic. Perhaps because of that, I don't find them exceptional, deep, or especially well done, but of course if they were composed spontaneously and then not edited (or edited very much), they would come across exactly like they do. I'm glad Lana feels comfortable doing that, regardless of how I find the end product in this particular case. 

It's hard to say for sure since the song is so complex and I think there are many avenues to explore, but my current take on it is that the first part of the song is actually after she's escaped a fate like Laura Palmer's. She may still be teetering on the edge, but Lana has reached a point of clarity where she understands who she is and while there may be negative aspects to the way she's living she's also reclaimed her life as her own to a certain degree and doesn't perceive herself as a victim, while also addressing the harm caused by the public's perception of her and society's inclination to tear down women and discard them as "whores" without considering the history that shaped them. I think she's very much talking about herself, while also managing to tie her personal story into a statement about the broader experience many people face, as she often does in her writing. I am always in awe of how deeply personal and widely relatable her writing can simultaneously be. 

Your interpretation of the ending of FWWM is fascinating, I have never thought about it that way. I always took it as the ultimate moment of peace, where even though Laura couldn't escape her fate in life, the angel has arrived now to take her soul to heaven, and her laughter is that feeling of pure relief and joy that her suffering is now over. Yours is much bleaker but very interesting! Lana and Lynch are both amazing in how their work allows for so many unique interpretations.

7 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

’m not referring to that, though. Production critiques on their own can be valid. In my initial response to you, I listed the kinds of comments that I was referring to. It’s unfortunate that that’s not translating.

yeah comments on jacks (un)originality, (which are directly related/tied to production), being one of them & i just think those are valid  :xgiggle: so it did translate, lol but we can put this to bed now 

The new twitter TL infuriates me cause I have to constantly see awful takes about Lana and the album from people that I don't even follow :bebe:

Then when the album gets released I'll have to see meltdowns when they expect the whole album to sound like Jimmy and it doesn't :thumb3:

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, summer bummer said:

genuine question (and not that it matters at all):

when it comes to billboard, how come lana doesn’t really chart anymore? i feel like all her recent songs make a lot more noise than other songs that are charting right now. is it something to do with radio? i don’t really understand charts lmao

it's radio, that was a major complaint of her label when she released venice bitch, the song was too long to get airplay and they asked her to do something more suited to radio stations (which i like to believe ultimately led to doin time)

Just now, Venice Peach said:

The new twitter TL infuriates me cause I have to constantly see awful takes about Lana and the album from people that I don't even follow :bebe:

Then when the album gets released I'll have to see meltdowns when they expect the whole album to sound like Jimmy and it doesn't :thumb3:

Yeah, I hate that they don't give you the option to immediately see the timeline as "latest" anymore. It defaults to that annoying & innacuate curated timeline :scoff:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Don’t know if it’s been discussed before as the site was crashed for me but lots of people say that jimmy is jim from uv and I don’t really agree with that. Jack called Lana jimmy on a previous insta post and Lana singing about a younger lizzy seems to make the most sense to me. First of all jim from uv is literally a cult leader so it wouldn’t make sense when her mom finds out he’s doing drugs☠️ he is scarier than that. But if jimmy is Lana and Patricia founds out lizzy is doing drugs it would tie the boarding school era of her and also why she’s fucking up big time. 

4 minutes ago, Umaniac said:

Don’t know if it’s been discussed before as the site was crashed for me but lots of people say that jimmy is jim from uv and I don’t really agree with that. Jack called Lana jimmy on a previous insta post and Lana singing about a younger lizzy seems to make the most sense to me. First of all jim from uv is literally a cult leader so it wouldn’t make sense when her mom finds out he’s doing drugs☠️ he is scarier than that. But if jimmy is Lana and Patricia founds out lizzy is doing drugs it would tie the boarding school era of her and also why she’s fucking up big time. 

I feel like you can look at a lot of her recent songs (that seem to be about someone else) actually being about herself. I remember someone telling me that they see Venice Bitch as a song about her private life vs her public life with concerts/fans (‘you write, I tour, we make it work’ and ‘you’re beautiful and I’m insane’) and it’s so interesting to see her songs in that vein :cryney2: I still see it as a love song lol but

sgopYhV.gif

I'm so curious about the VB sample cause if it's in the title it's probably noticeable and a big part of the song :um2:

Jack said "its little head" but I think it was just his way of saying it and not actually talking about how big/small the part is

giphy.gif

36 minutes ago, Americen Whore said:

ECDC8818-E61-C-414-F-8-BF8-251-EA3-D0-AE

This is so stupid but every time I listen to this line I remember “Did you know that there’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” lyric :blush:

We can start counting how many times Lana says "Did you know..." on the album. :creepna3:

Does a song need to be technically perfect for me to think that it's perfect? 

Spoiler

absolutely fucking not :blush:

Nobody's going to catch me overanalyzing every aspect of the song and trying to find things to complain about instead of idk appreciating music history being made :gurl: 

I’m not sure what’s the discussion about Jack I ain’t reading five pages but he’s production really sounds the same all the time. I mean the drums from chemtrails make their return on dyk and the beats on A&w sounds just like cinnamon. You can tell a Jack song by some key instruments and that sucks. Also his beats sounds just like a teenager making music on GarageBand. I mean just compare his beats to summer bummer. As much as I love this song, I love it because of the structure, story and lyrics and i wish it was produced by someone different because when I hear those tiny sounding beats I can’t help but lost all my hype on Lana’s amazing vision and artistry.

I was pro Jack back on nfr because he really does know how to compose a song but on the other hand his production… he was fine for an album but the more I hear his sound I get more annoyed at it.