Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

I highly doubt this album will be nominated for AOTY at the Grammys - she’d need a widespread acclaim and support like she got for Norman and although she’s in a good position to achieve that, we also know Ocean is far more abrasive and challenging as a record than NFR was (no shade to Norman, that’s still one of my favorite albums ever) and I’m afraid some critics won’t fully support the album even if they moderately respect/appreciate it. I’m trying to stay positive but I really feel like NFR was her Grammys moment and I don’t see that replicating that easily (which is probably a good thing for her because fuck the Scammies).

IMG-7960.jpg

10 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

I haven’t listened to The Grants yet because we’re so close to the album release, I just want to wait to listen to the album in full. I have a feeling this is going to be one of those albums where hearing individual songs beforehand won’t do it justice as a complete project.

200w.gif?cid=6c09b9526p0tbaxum4g4yibry52

stars in my eyes

⊹˚⋆ 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚 𝒃𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒔 ‧₊°   

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

I highly doubt this album will be nominated for AOTY at the Grammys - she’d need a widespread acclaim and support like she got for Norman and although she’s in a good position to achieve that, we also know Ocean is far more abrasive and challenging as a record than NFR was (no shade to Norman, that’s still one of my favorite albums ever) and I’m afraid some critics won’t fully support the album even if they moderately respect/appreciate it. I’m trying to stay positive but I really feel like NFR was her Grammys moment and I don’t see that replicating that easily (which is probably a good thing for her because fuck the Scammies).

I feel like if they haven’t acknowledged her at this point, it is unlikely they ever will, bar her releasing another Video Games sized classic, which even then will require luck at it going truly viral given how she wants to avoid conventional large-scale promotion. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I can’t really see that happening, least of all with the market constantly evolving and atomising into different demographics.

4 minutes ago, Sportscruiser said:

Agree. While this may challenge Norman as one of her best bodies of work, if not her best, I think that she took more risks on this album whereas Norman was definitely more of an "instant classic" kind of record. However if the acclaim is there perhaps they'll have no choice but to nominate it. 

8V7Yvel.png

The real issue isn't even AOTY, it's Lana getting moved out of Alternative categories every year. NFR was great, but a pop album it was not. It would have easily won in the Alt album category if they just let her (rightfully) be in there. 

8V7Yvel.png

1 minute ago, Golden Hour said:

The real issue isn't even AOTY, it's Lana getting moved out of Alternative categories every year. NFR was great, but a pop album it was not. It would have easily won in the Alt album category if they just let her (rightfully) be in there. 

Her music moves between alt and pop though. Like Venice could qualify as alt, but Cinnamon girl is very much a pop song.

1 minute ago, Sportscruiser said:

I see your point, but from what we know so far Ocean Blvd does seem somewhat cohesive (to me, tho I may be wrong), especially with the singles we got so far which outside the fandom were acclaimed very well, even excellent to say. This album will have some more of "pop/bop" songs, having in mind the last three on the tracklist, but so did NFR with Doin' Time, and the overall themes in this one seem pretty cohesive so in the end it could go both ways, I could picture it being well received by the critics, A&W was the best new track on pitchfork which is a good indicator even with it non-standard song structure. But we'll see, I do hope it gets a great reaction and manages to pave the way for some future accolades of hers.

Just now, anwdelrey said:

Her music moves between alt and pop though. Like Venice could qualify as alt, but Cinnamon girl is very much a pop song.

Oh for sure, but I think that she leans more alternative as a whole. 

8V7Yvel.png

9 minutes ago, Im a ghost now said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Breakdown of Peppers reminds me a lot of The Chain :pussypower: trying  not to overplay it, I didn't overplay A&W and it's been sounding heavenly lately 

It’s somewhat easy not to overplay Peppers bc it hasn’t leaked in real HQ. Not an audiophile but isn’t it like under 230kbps? 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

2 minutes ago, Golden Hour said:

Agree. While this may challenge Norman as one of her best bodies of work, if not her best, I think that she took more risks on this album whereas Norman was definitely more of an "instant classic" kind of record. However if the acclaim is there perhaps they'll have no choice but to nominate it. 

4 minutes ago, ByDayAnother said:

I feel like if they haven’t acknowledged her at this point, it is unlikely they ever will, bar her releasing another Video Games sized classic, which even then will require luck at it going truly viral given how she wants to avoid conventional large-scale promotion. I’m not saying it’s impossible, but I can’t really see that happening, least of all with the market constantly evolving and atomising into different demographics.

I hope we’re wrong at the end! Even if I don’t take value in the Grammys as a barometer of quality these days, it would be awesome to see Lana  nominated for the big ones again to see her being vindicated. I hope all this love she’s being receiving from the likes of Eilish, Rodrigo, Rosalía, SZA, Kim Petras, Madison Beer, etc translates into goodwill and recognition. She’s truly the closest we have to Kate Bush/Tori Amos/Fiona Apple for the millennials and Gen-Zers.

IMG-7960.jpg

Ok but if Lana just added some soft but driving drums like in Angels Forever to The Grants and cut out the intro part it would be a 10/10:xcry:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・