Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

1 minute ago, ivory almond said:
  Hide contents

she does say "put on the beatles," in the song, so I'm assuming that was intentional

Spoiler

I literally just got to the part LOL (still on my first listening) :hair: she’s so powerful for that 

sgopYhV.gif

Just now, littleredpartydress said:

ive tried to write a review/ranking like 6 times and have deleted it and started over every time :bebe: 

that's why i just wrote down all my thoughts as i listened to the songs
it's so much easier (and funnier)

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

Spoiler

Just finished listening to the record in full in order. I am absolutely floored. Kintsugi, Fingertips, Fishtail, Let the Light In, and Grandfather are my instant top five. FLOORED. You had a long run, Honeymoon, but Ocean Blvd is here to sit in the throne. 

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

Spoiler

As usual I'm gonna need my time with the album, but I know all songs will grow on me once I have actual human experiences with them as a soundtrack.

In the meantime, I have to say though ---- the album makes absolutely no sense, like, how can we have Kintsugi and Peppers on the same album :thumb3: it's really giving LFL in terms of cohesiveness, not that that bothers me tbh, I'm not very into cohesion... but I'd love to read the narrative theories later :brows:

I know no one cares, but I've finally listened to the album and... oh boy... :bebe:

Spoiler

* The Grants - 9/10 

Wonderful opening, it kept getting better and better each time I listened to it. The intro, however, still bothers me a little. :angie:

* Ocean Blvd - 10/10

I absolutely love this song. It might be top 3 title tracks for me. Nothing much to say, it's just incredible. A classic. :true:

* Sweet - 7/10 

I was disappointed because for some reason I expected something different from this one. It's not bad, it's just not my favorite. :um2:

* A&W - 9/10

Obsessed with the first part! The melody and instrumentation is outstanding. The lyrics are one of my favorites EVER. The second one is great too but... :eyeroll2:

* Judah Smith Interlude - 0/10 

Worst thing I've ever heard. This is such an ugly piece of shit. :judgingu3:

* Candy Necklace - ?/10 

¿? :eartha2:

* Jon Batiste Interlude - 5/10 

This interlude is interesting. It's crazy and weird but cool at the same time. The jumpscares, on the other hand... Well! :hillary:

* Kintsugi - 11/10 

TABS! One of her best songs ever. :oprah4:

* Fingertips - 9/10 

Fingertips is incredible. Nothing much to add, it's deeply personal and emotional. :xcry:

* Paris, Texas - 10/10

I'm surprised I love this track as much as I do because I was definitely not expecting this to be THIS good. I have never heard Lana sing in a similar melody and I'm in awe. :wowcry:

* Grandfather - 10/10 

Despite *that* lyric, I absolutely love this one. It's just magical; the production is incredible, her vocals are POWERFUL and just... Just amazing. No words. :lange:

* Let the Light In - 10/10 

I knew another FJM collab would not disappoint! This song is so beautiful... The way their voices sound so nice together, I'm amazed. I hope they release more collaborations in the future! :crying5:

* Margaret - 7/10 

It's cute... Really cute, but I didn't enjoy Jack's verse as I couldn't understand a single word and I low-key disliked the bridge quite a lot. :um3:

* Fishtail - 8/10 

Tulsa was never one of my favorite songs, so I wasn't expecting much when the insiders described Fishtail to be be similar sound-wise. I think it's great, catchy and fun. :dance:

* Peppers - 9/10 

I'm confused, I love Tommy's music but I hate and love the sample at the same time, it's crazy lol but it's so catchy I cannot get enough. :grinds:

* Taco Truck - 8/10

I'M OBSESSED WITH TACO TRUCK! However, the transition between songs felt a little weird and for some reason, the outro was not... as great as described. It was still really good! But it could have been done better (and I would have loved if the Taco Truck segment was longer, or maybe reappeared during the Venice Bitch remix) :smile4:

Overall, this is such an incredible album :oprah2:

I haven't feel this excited in a long time! It probably has to do with the novelty of having new music so I might be a little biased but it's so strong and cohesive... :oprah3:

I can't wait to listen to it again, I know it'll get better each time :oprah:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

Just now, Fingertips said:
  Hide contents

Just finished listening to the record in full in order. I am absolutely floored. Kintsugi, Fingertips, Fishtail, Let the Light In, and Grandfather are my instant top five. FLOORED. You had a long run, Honeymoon, but Ocean Blvd is here to sit in the throne. 

Spoiler

NO NOT HONEYMOON PLS
1. Ultraviolence 2. Honeymoon 3. Ocean Blvd <— this is how I'm feeling rn

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

1 minute ago, ivory almond said:

that's why i just wrote down all my thoughts as i listened to the songs
it's so much easier (and funnier)

i did that as well but its more just like stream of consciousness notes that im trying to string into coherent sentences and failing at :bebe: 

for ME, personally:

Spoiler

1. Fingertips 💅 the poetry!

2. A&W 🥵 I feel like this was the most successful blend of the singer-songwriter/pop vibes

3. DYKTTATUOB 🥲 incredible songwriting, loved the production callbacks to previous eras

4. GPSOTSOMFWHDSF 🌊 coulda used another verse for me but she served!

5. The Grants 👨‍👩‍👧‍👦 church, baby

6. Let the Light In ☀️ this was like, lumber sexual music. Very hot farm girl.

7. Taco Truck 🌮 ROBBED of a full version of this!

8. Kintsugi 🫖 need more time with the lyrics but woo!

9. Paris, Texas 🇫🇷 cute, very different for her. Kinda gave movie music

10. Sweet 🍭 I like most of it, but the first verse is a little too Disney for me

11. Judah Smith Interlude 🛐 need more time with the words, but the combination of the music, the topic of the sermon, her laugh... I'm interested!

12. xVB 🏄‍♀️ would have LOVED this as a standalone single. Fucking weird ending

13. Jon Batiste Interlude 🎸 ok but sing over it Lana!

14. Peppers 🌶️ if it had been the last like minute or two... Slay. But the nursery rhyme melody of the verses and the bass production of the tommy feature were not giving for me

15. Fishtail 🐟 a trap beat does not a bop make

16. Margaret 🙅‍♀️ nasty, nasty Taylor swift cosplay. She was so wrong for this.