Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

32 minutes ago, Psychedelic Pussy said:

Lorde literally publicly slammed Lana for her music & then went in the studio w Antonoff and said “I want to write a Lana album” and she shat out Melodrama. That’s her legacy

Melodrama sounds nothing like a Lana album:air:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

17 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

OB is definitely NFRs sister- lyrically and thematically. They're the yin and yang.

Chem and BB sound like sister albums to me.

I think the otherwise.

NFR and COCC have a connection. NFR first starts out as an ode to LA, but she feels burnout towards the end of the album (The Greatest). COCC is about leaving LA, escapism, going to ranch, finding comfort with friends and families (Dance Till We Die). Between two albums we had Looking for America (in terms of recording time), which connects the two album perfectly.

BB and OB have a connection: BB starts with theme she left at COCC, but then the theme is mostly "I'm this, don't change me" (Arcadia,BBS,Violets and Roses, Beautiful etc.). She explains why she is like this opening up things she had never before (Textbook, WFWF etc.). The album ends with her sister having a baby. Then OB adds to this, she starts with the family theme she left at BB and opens up more about why she is like this (Fingertips).

LASSO

lasso.gif

SEPTEMBER 2024

1 hour ago, ivory almond said:

FAVORITE MOMENTS: bridge of LTLI, the piano riff in CN, beat drop of Fishtail, pre-chorus of Peppers, guitar beat drop in DYK, bridge of Sweet, whistle in Kintsugi, transition in A&W, "ik ik that you hate me" beat drop in Taco Truck, transition in Taco Truck, "let's waltz this out" + trumpets in Margaret, "venice, california" whisper in Paris, Texas

:wub: the NFR strings in A&W.  The love song callback in Margaret. 2nd chorus of Grandpa. Last chorus of OB when the guitar kicks in :hdu: . The bridge of LTLI is surreal. Should've been used on the outro as well. 

1 hour ago, ivory almond said:

Final Ranking / Overall Rating: 9/10
3rd Favorite Lana Album

1. Let the Light In (10/10)
2. Peppers (9.5/10)
3. Sweet (9.5/10)
4. Kintsugi (9/10)
5. A&W / Fishtail / Taco Truck x VB (8.5/10) — tie
6. Margaret / Candy Necklace / Fingertips (8.5/10) — tie
7. Paris, Texas (8.5/10)
8. Grandfather Please Stand on the Shoulders of My Father While He's Deep-Sea Fishing (8.5/10)
9. Did You Know That There's a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd (8/10) (just overplayed it tbh)
10. The Grants (8/10)

literally no skips except the interludes

BEST LYRICS: Kintsugi, Fingertips
BEST INSTRUMENTAL: Let The Light In, Grandfather, Margaret, Fishtail, Taco Truck x VB
BEST VIBE/AESTHETIC: Let The Light In, Sweet, Paris Texas, Fishtail

FAVORITE MOMENTS: bridge of LTLI, the piano riff in CN, beat drop of Fishtail, pre-chorus of Peppers, guitar beat drop in DYK, bridge of Sweet, whistle in Kintsugi, transition in A&W, "ik ik that you hate me" beat drop in Taco Truck, transition in Taco Truck, "let's waltz this out" + trumpets in Margaret, "venice, california" whisper in Paris, Texas

heavyyyy on the venice california moment and also the “down in florence alabama” whisper in paris 

b2358771937a448cffde372325aa52ea.gif

it escapes from my hands into moonlight . . .

I think this is an album written for herself and those who are truly invested in her story, like us, and it just so happens that the bops are undeniable and she's in a bigger light than she ever really has been before so all the casuals are giving a listen or two. We should be shocked THIS album is doing this well. A&W is an unmatched all timer from her, but the majority of this album has no business being as streamed as it is, especially Paris, Texas growing as an organic hit. The masses truly found some taste this year but we're just lucky we stan an artist who is still pushing herself and absolutely has more to give 9/10 albums in.

i’m sorry but i really don’t think this is the follow-up to nfr… in my opinion 1) they’re really different as this one is so much more inspired, experimental, it is miles ahead in terms of lyrical content and variety. i get that nfr is much more liked than chemtrails or blue banisters but 2) objectively this album is much more a continuation of blue banisters than of nfr. the reasons for this are the piano ballads which sound much more like blue banisters than nfr (vocally and production wise), the family themes, the introspection, the multiple references to her past, the somewhat political lines, the allusions to the critics, this is all reminiscent of blue banisters and not of nfr. honestly it doesn’t make sense to erase chemtrails and blue banisters just because they’re disliked when this record is in many ways a continuation of blue banisters and in no way a continuation of nfr, whether it be in terms of vocals, in terms of lyrics, in terms of production :bebe:

24 minutes ago, Future Jazz said:

i’m sorry but i really don’t think this is the follow-up to nfr… in my opinion 1) they’re really different as this one is so much more inspired, experimental, it is miles ahead in terms of lyrical content and variety. i get that nfr is much more liked than chemtrails or blue banisters but 2) objectively this album is much more a continuation of blue banisters than of nfr. the reasons for this are the piano ballads which sound much more like blue banisters than nfr (vocally and production wise), the family themes, the introspection, the multiple references to her past, the somewhat political lines, the allusions to the critics, this is all reminiscent of blue banisters and not nfr. honestly it doesn’t make sense to erase chemtrails and blue banisters just because they’re disliked when this record is in many ways a continuation of blue banisters and in no way a continuation of nfr, whether it be in terms of vocals, in terms of lyrics, in terms of production :bebe:

For me, it's the way it immediately clicked that made it the "NFR successor" in my mind. I LOVE Chemtrails and some of BB, but it took me a few listens to get it. OB was immediate, the way I felt about NFR. 

It's not something I can point to (lyrics or vocals or production or style), but something inherent and intangible that gilds the songs, and gives them that Lana magic. 

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

1 hour ago, Selfloathinpoet said:

It's dry dry 

Let's get spicy then! 

Two things-there are ALOT of times where Kintsugi is the ultimate skip. Its fucking SAD. It's the saddest song she's ever done. Her lower register, that we've known so long, so reflective yet plain, cruelly plain, about how it feels when someone is slipping/has passed away. It's a personal hell that you can't help but sob. The "Daddy I miss them" portion is just evil ( and Yes Fingertips has shockingly tragic lyrics but they're so specific that it's clearly ONLY about her life, and the beautiful arrangement and her high notes make that song sing much more to me than Kintsugi)

2. The "Wipeout" section of Peppers is just as epic as the A&W transition and is easily, Easily the most fun I've ever had with a Lana song. That shits so fucking groovy baby! Ugh the second half of Peppers is just pure joy and fun in the sun and it will be murdered by the replay button this summer.

*edit* none of these takes are that hot but let's hear the takes sistrens, we've been in post release for over 2 weeks!

29 minutes ago, HighbytheSea said:

Let's get spicy then! 

Two things-there are ALOT of times where Kintsugi is the ultimate skip. Its fucking SAD. It's the saddest song she's ever done. Her lower register, that we've known so long, so reflective yet plain, cruelly plain, about how it feels when someone is slipping/has passed away. It's a personal hell that you can't help but sob. The "Daddy I miss them" portion is just evil ( and Yes Fingertips has shockingly tragic lyrics but they're so specific that it's clearly ONLY about her life, and the beautiful arrangement and her high notes make that song sing much more to me than Kintsugi)

2. The "Wipeout" section of Peppers is just as epic as the A&W transition and is easily, Easily the most fun I've ever had with a Lana song. That shits so fucking groovy baby! Ugh the second half of Peppers is just pure joy and fun in the sun and it will be murdered by the replay button this summer.

*edit* none of these takes are that hot but let's hear the takes sistrens, we've been in post release for over 2 weeks!

Kintsugi > fingertips 4 life

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

19 hours ago, CinnamonGay said:

Considering how massively 30 underperformed- No.

Adele has been doing just a mild variation of the same album for years. :silly:

21 is her magnum opus and rightfully so.

30 underperformed? How so?

By the way, anyone gave Depeche Mode latest a spin?

6 hours ago, mrborntolose said:

what we’re talking about Lorde again??? 

434-D60-B9-D8-DB-4-CCC-B74-A-D3-F90970-D378.gif

Literally, who gives a damn about Lorde. Not once in my life did I ever hear anyone mention her and I only know that Royals track from 10 years ago.

25 minutes ago, barttttender said:

30 underperformed? How so?

It sold well with physicals(only because it was a comeback album after 6 years) + Easy On Me. That's it. None of the other tracks really left a mark on the GP.

Her streams didn't get a boost either - she gets 7-8M everyday.