Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

8 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

we have good intentions even if we're two of the last oneeeees :legend:

I can’t tell you enough how many times the second time she sings that brings me to tears. There’s just something about it :poordat:

IMG-1607.jpg

4 hours ago, barttttender said:

I loved the song when I first heard it. Felt like a Norman Fucking Rockwell outtake that would have fit perfectly on it.

But then two things: it's kind of out of place on Ocean Boulevard. The production, the lyrics, the vibe: it doesn't correlate with anything else on the record. Except maybe thematically (family). So, it's not the song I go to when I want to listen to the record.

Secondly, it just doesn't have much staying power. It's a great song, but kind of wears out after 5-10 listens. Not sure what it is about it. 

You're probably the only person in the world who feels this way though. Norman has way better reviews, streams and accolades than any of the successor. Pretty much everyone considers it an American classic. Also, BB a cohesive record? Um, okay

I know the consensus regarding NFR quite differs from what I've expressed here, but it's valid -and healthy as well- to have a disident criteria as far as it's argumented.

And yes, BB is one of her best constructed records yet for me.

2 hours ago, sjatib said:

I know the consensus regarding NFR quite differs from what I've expressed here, but it's valid -and healthy as well- to have a disident criteria as far as it's argumented.

And yes, BB is one of her best constructed records yet for me.

Definitely fans' views will vary on this. Many agree that BB is super disjoined - especially when you consider some songs are new and some are a decade old, and the album goes from almost ambiental music like Blue Banisters to some dub-step nonense like Interlude - The Trio, in a span of a few songs. The myriad different producers doesn't help.

For me, even Lust for Life is more cohesive than BB. But to each their own. Respect your opinion.

47 minutes ago, barttttender said:

Definitely fans' views will vary on this. Many agree that BB is super disjoined - especially when you consider some songs are new and some are a decade old, and the album goes from almost ambiental music like Blue Banisters to some dub-step nonense like Interlude - The Trio, in a span of a few songs. The myriad different producers doesn't help.

For me, even Lust for Life is more cohesive than BB. But to each their own. Respect your opinion.

Its curious because the variety -more precisely, the fact that she made it work somehow- is maybe the thing I like the most about BB. I wasn't pleased when all of the leaked songs were anounced, yet found myself loving how they flowed with the new ones once the record was released. Particularly The Trio, Dealer and WW's ending are key to the dynamics of the record for me. They add character and momentum without sounding out of place. But that's my point of view, of course. 

Love being able to discuss perspectives in such a constructive way.

The emotional impact of Kintsugi and Fingertips back to back always knocks me out. The amount of vulnerability that she shares is insane. I didn’t think those two records back to back would still floor me since the record has been out for a while. I had to really sit with my feelings and pause the album after those two songs went off. 

whats the flower for this era? 

born to die/paradise - roses

ultraviolence - hydrangeas 

honeymoon - violets (?)

lust for life - daisies

norman - ? 

chemtrails - ? 

blue banisters - ?

tunnel - ?

On 9/12/2023 at 2:59 PM, barttttender said:

BB is actually quite cohesive IMO. Most people saying its disjointed are jusz too caught up knowing some of the tracks where older, even though they all blend in quite smoothly with the new songs.

I think even they way Dealer and The Trio are woven into the tracklist makes sense. The only track I always felt was not fitting in was WFWF (although it's a good song)

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

9 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

BB is actually quite cohesive IMO. Most people saying its disjointed are jusz too caught up knowing some of the tracks where older, even though they all blend in quite smoothly with the new songs.

I think even they way Dealer and The Trio are woven into the tracklist makes sense. The only track I always felt was not fitting in was WFWF (although it's a good song)

What's the album about tho?

i feel like every lana album has its own sound and substance. A prevailing theme and mood. But bb is such a collection of random (discarded) tracks that i cant even say what genre it is, let alone what its theme is. 

i think that's why i think a lot of folks find it incoherent. It's like, i got the pop lana, the rock lana, the jazzy lana, the folksy lana, the surf rock lana, the hip-hop lana, the gospel lana... who the fuck is bb lana?

What do songs like thunder, the trio, dealer, wild flower and text book have in common? Zilch. Nada. Different time stamps in her career, different topics, different productions.

it all flows ok on a surface level. But deep down, it's a collection of ldr B-sides.

21 hours ago, barttttender said:

What's the album about tho?

i feel like every lana album has its own sound and substance. A prevailing theme and mood. But bb is such a collection of random (discarded) tracks that i cant even say what genre it is, let alone what its theme is. 

i think that's why i think a lot of folks find it incoherent. It's like, i got the pop lana, the rock lana, the jazzy lana, the folksy lana, the surf rock lana, the hip-hop lana, the gospel lana... who the fuck is bb lana?

What do songs like thunder, the trio, dealer, wild flower and text book have in common? Zilch. Nada. Different time stamps in her career, different topics, different productions.

it all flows ok on a surface level. But deep down, it's a collection of ldr B-sides.

BB has a quite distinctive sound and I don't think it's any less coherent than LFL, CoCC or OB when it comes to its message. 

Each to their own but this is really just doing the modt to justify disliking the album

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Idk why but I think I never listened to this album early in the morning but I did it today.  The Grants sending me straight to heaven before I was even awake

bellephobic-trisha-paytas-memes.gif

Kintsugi & Fingertips were a bit heavy in the morning but Grandfather / Let The Light In till Taco Truck slapped live into me again while making breakfast 

trisha-paytas.gif

Can only recommend it, what an experience :oprah:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Manifesting more of these incredible tracks seeing the light of day in the form of live performances. I know Grandfather, Paris, LTLI and Taco Truck would be transcendent :legend:also Kintsugi is my number 1 dream performance but I would 100% understand her never even acknowledging it's existence again 

𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚏𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎, 𝙸𝚝’𝚜 𝚐𝚒𝚟𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚂𝚢𝚕𝚟𝚒𝚊 𝙿𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚑

Ocean BLVD is such a masterpiece. Still perfect

Lana-del-rey-happy GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚖𝚘𝚖𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝚒 𝚍𝚎𝚌𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚍𝚘 𝚗𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚊𝚋𝚘𝚞𝚝 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐

Honestly Ocean Blvd is up there as one of the saddest/most emotional albums ever, with the likes of Hospice by the Antlers