Elle

LDR10 - Pre-Pre-Release Thread

people bringing up mitskis new album being quite americana and country esque so i really hope lana listens and gets drew to do some work on the record or some inspo in general :oprah:

i don’t usually like country sounding records but mitski has blended some elements in really well with the indie folk-ish sound and it’s heavenly. i can really see lana going in that direction tbh :et:

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

On 9/16/2023 at 9:22 PM, brandon said:

i hate the idea that music is meaningless unless it’s super deep + written by the artist themselves

like is it a nice plus, sure! but.. if a song is good.. it’s good!

also lana has proved time and time again that her covers are fantastic. season of the witch, doin time, chelsea hotel, summer wine.. the list goes on

a covers album is something lana has wanted to do for such a long time, so? (also ai covers never really work all that well)

On 9/16/2023 at 9:37 PM, Orville Peck said:

:awkney:

On 9/16/2023 at 9:40 PM, Embach said:

The last thing humanity needs are officially released ai music/covers, this shit (fun fact: this and shit are anagrams) like ai music should burn in hell forever. 

On 9/17/2023 at 2:10 AM, Surf Noir said:

you guys are talking down on covers as if her covers of summer wine, blue velvet, goodbye kiss, doin' time, some things last a long time, heart-shaped box, roadhouse blues, the end of the world, the good life, where the boys are (coming soon! ...i hope) and buddy's rendezvous don't exist :oprah3: i think lana is perfectly capable 

also... to say that a.i covers aren't really any different from actual covers recorded by the artist is just so, so wrong :eyeroll3:

I take back everything I said I want a studio version of Stand By Your Man , it sound like heaven i'm obssesed with it :pray2:

I feel like if she was mainly focusing on the country side of americana she would have said it more clearly (even though she's not the best at describing her records :hide:) so I think it's going to be more folk-ish and blues-y. 

Something in the vein of A&W (the first part) would be really nice :icant:

giphy.gif

9 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

I feel like if she was mainly focusing on the country side of americana she would have said it more clearly (even though she's not the best at describing her records :hide:) so I think it's going to be more folk-ish and blues-y. 

it's been more than a year and we still don't know what she meant by that post:

if we get country it might have something to do with Bakersfield , or she was just looking for inspiration for her covers album :um2:

20 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

That and the vibe of pawn shop blues, or her earlier may jailer stuff production wise

Mm9Nf5Z.gif

"I want to stay home, be left alone- Someone make up my mind so I don't have to decide"

https://www.last.fm/user/fakeeyelash13- my last fm <33

1 hour ago, bluechemtrails said:

it's been more than a year and we still don't know what she meant by that post:

if we get country it might have something to do with Bakersfield , or she was just looking for inspiration for her covers album :um2:

I feel like she was recording some country covers at the time, for the covers album

Americana could mean almost anything, but the most « Lana » Americana I’m imagining  (something that is uniquely hers and not some rehash of another artist or genre) would be the last CoCC tracks starting with LMLYLAW and a couple of tracks on BB (like Nectar of the Gods). She never repeated an album’s aesthetics / sound so far and I doubt she would. Still not a big fan of country (many people mentioned Mitski and it is a bit too much country to my taste even though I love her texts), except when it is mixed with something else, like Andromeda by Weyes Blood. 
that being said, I’ll let Lana do her thing and have trust in her process. Hey, maybe this will be the album bringing guitars forward. :mj2:

Her fans hating country music is so funny, not gonna lie :ma: it's not like she's going to deliver generic ass yeehaw white old man Republican type beat country music about donkeys eating hay. There's always depth in her music. She even called Video Games and Ride country songs.

url%5D

Honestly I'm 100% in for a country album.

Ultraviolence is rock but mixed with a lot of amazing subgenres like psychedelia, desert, blues, shoegaze...

Norman is surf with a lot of twists; neopsychedelia, soft rock, piano rock; it's also highly emotional and dystopian.

Chemtrails is her most 'strict' album in terms of genre, and she still played a lot with her vocals and songwriting.

A country album could easily be up there with her best work. Imagine Let the Light In vs Mariners Apartment Complex :trisha:

Realistically, it'll end up being indie rock with a country touch (if produced by Jack, hopefully).

Edit: Whatever it is, I really hope it's a new sound; Ocean Blvd felt way too monumental not to be the end of an era.

Since we're talking again about Lana making a country album, I remembered when Pitchfork mentioned Lana in the review of Orville Peck's "Show Pony."

"He shares a similar comportment with Lana Del Rey, another artist who speeds forward, casting glances at what she’s left in her wake. The spare guitar ballad “No Glory in the West” harkens to Del Rey’s obsession with waning grandeur and the frail seams of American mythology. “Ridin’ past the best/And there’s still no rest,” Peck laments".

If you told me that No Glory in the West was written by Lana Del Rey I would believe it. I must also say that it is my favorite Orville Peck song. :defeated:

8 hours ago, Thunder Revenant said:

I want this kind of "Americana" sound

I've never heard of King Hannah, but I love both these songs! Thanks for introducing me to new music. This kind of sound would be great from Lana, although honestly, I think she could make me love anything :agree:

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide

All I want is an album like blue banisters but I really like the idea that Miley Cyrus had with the AM PM stuff. Like the AM could be that ‘Americana’ path she seems to be taking then with PM it would be really nice to have that vibe of blue banisters but with some cunty country songs mixed in somewhat like Chemtrails with Dance till we die and stuff. But with a lust for life kick to it.

'Americana' as a music term or category is not a subject or theme, predominantly, it's a sound, using traditional instruments like fiddles, banjos, dulcimers, mandolins, acoustic guitars, harmonicas, etc. while drawing inspiration from 19th century American music like ragtime, Dixieland, and early 'country music' like the Carter Family and Bascom Lamar Lunsford. I would expect Lana to do something like Brandi Carlile, the Secret Sisters, early Parker Millsap and early Rayland Baxter, J. R. Jones, the Brothers Comatose, Ben Morrison as a solo act, Anderson East, early Dylan LeBlanc, Frankie Lee, and the California Honeydrops. All of these artists go in and out of 'Americana, largely because Americana doesn't sell and so they try popularizing their sound, and, in my opinion, usually fail at this. They make their money and career touring, unless, like Carlile, they do become popular successes. Almost all of these artists have tried to go beyond their sound and totally shot themselves in the foot. Rayland Baxter and Anderson East are the exceptions (though Baxter's 3rd album was horrible). 

'Americana' broadly used as a term means nostalgic 'symbols' of America past, like gas stations, doo-wop, Elvis, car washes, push-up bras, young men hanging out on the corner, argyle socks, bowling, Route 66, classic cars, family road trips, poodle skirts, Mount Rushmore, the Mississippi River, bootleg whiskey, the Everly Brothers, Walt Disney, riverboats, beehive hairdos, the Depression and the Dust Bowl, flappers and the Roaring 20s, suffragettes, the 50s suburbs, diners, "Where hamburgers sizzle on an open grill night and day," cotton candy, the Twist, "I found may thrill on blueberry hill," Stuckeys, cowboys, covered wagons, famous candies like wax lips, hula-hoops, folk art paintings, jug bands, famous carnival rides, etc. Lana clearly understands all of that! I'd love to hear her do Chuck Barry's 'Back in the USA.' 

We have to keep in mind that Lana said she thought of 'Ride' as a country song or potential country song, so that might be a clue.