Elle

Grammy Awards 2024 - Lana Del Rey Nominated for 5 Awards

4 minutes ago, FredRed said:

The only reason I want Lana to win a Grammy is for herself. Acknowledgement from the music industry is important to her. I don't need acknowledgement from the Gammys or anyone else to validate my love and appreciation for her. 

On another note Taylor Swift's OMG moments when winning something is a bit much. I bet when she gets a spam email from Walmart saying, "Congratulations you've just won a gift card ", she puts her hands to her mouth, "Me? I can't believe it. I'm not deserving ".

I kinda feel the same and it makes it even more annoying. She has been going to that Gala for years knowing that no matter what she's leaving with one or various awards, yet still the overacted reactions. I get its not her fault -and not totally sure that I'd feel better if she reacted on an apathic way-, but the whole thing is just obscene.

5 minutes ago, honeymoon is alive said:

variety acclaimed her and said she was one of the biggest snubs last night :emma:

Always loved Variety, one of the best entertainment magazines imo, magazine with class and taste, they have always recognized Lana, they even gave her that decade award!

url%5D

10 minutes ago, FredRed said:

The only reason I want Lana to win a Grammy is for herself. Acknowledgement from the music industry is important to her. I don't need acknowledgement from the Gammys or anyone else to validate my love and appreciation for her. 

On another note Taylor Swift's OMG moments when winning something is a bit much. I bet when she gets a spam email from Walmart saying, "Congratulations you've just won a gift card ", she puts her hands to her mouth, "Me? I can't believe it. I'm not deserving ".

Her omg moment was (im pretty sure) because she knew her album was one of the weaker ones of the pick GUTS and ocean blvd were the most worthy to win imo miley Cyrus album was also good too

5 minutes ago, Anne said:

I just hope Lasso will get nominated for next year. It’ll be so so good and she’ll win with the country categories! One day she’ll get her grammy. 

The voter that said he doesn’t take her seriously since SNL, was a country voter. I highly doubt she will win anything there sadly. Maybe she shouldn’t bother submitting anymore like The Weeknd. 

Idk what they planned preemptively, but Taylor and Jack are campaigning so hard for Lana lol. I wonder how she feels about them trying to get her into the spotlight. I also wonder if the next era would be a quieter one just like Chemtrails (it's for the best if it is). 

I don't even think Lana was that bothered, i think she obviously would've liked to win but i don't think she's as hurt as the way some people are trying to make it seem. Why are people so desperately trying to paint this narrative on her? Ya'll be squinting at the TV trying to see if there's a hint of a tear in her eye, it's super weird

She was clearly happy for Taylor and handled it with grace and elegance, because that's the kind of woman she is

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

2 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I don't even think Lana was that bothered, i think she would've liked to win but i don't think she was as hurt as the way some of ya'll are trying to make it seem. Why are people so desperately trying to paint this narrative on her? Ya'll be squinting at the TV trying to see if there's a hint of a tear in her eye, it's super weird

She was clearly happy for Taylor and handled it with grace and elegance, because that's the kind of woman she is

She probably was upset though, has she never won any and been nominated many times. To get nominated 5 times you'd think you will probably win 1 and be planning what you will say and stuff and then not to get any, especially right when they announce the last one and you didn't win again. She is just a normal person as well, a lot of people who have won she probably thinks they're terrible and should never have won so would feel snubbed and overlooked.

Idk if anyone shared this yet but I just saw a picture of Lana's nails and they're so pretty! She was definitely going for a Black Swan/White Swan thing and it also makes me think of Swan Song :xcry:

20240205-100247.jpg

from @nails_by_yoko on Instagram

I think she knew after not winning earlier in the day; I don’t mean literal spoilers, but knew in her heart. I thought so the moment I saw her outfit… this is just speculation, but I don’t think that was her planned dress. It looked to me like she chose to dress, not like the spotlight winner (which she DID dress as for the gala the night before, when she still thought she might win), but like the mysterious eccentric genius, the artists’ artist, too cool for a mainstream award but there to support her basic bee friend. I really liked Taylor bringing her on stage; that was right. Lana IS the living legend. 

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt

6 minutes ago, Terrence Loves Me said:

I don't even think Lana was that bothered, i think she obviously would've liked to win but i don't think she's as hurt as the way some people are trying to make it seem. Why are people so desperately trying to paint this narrative on her? Ya'll be squinting at the TV trying to see if there's a hint of a tear in her eye, it's super weird

Well said. She may have been disappointed but you're right about how people (myself included) squint and project what she is thinking or feeling when we really have no idea. 

Ok I know it's nottt that serious but I'm on my lunch break running on two hours of sleep and I felt inspired to write a dramatic incoherent rant of my own to get some of my frustration out, read at your own peril:

I feel like this was a "last exit before the bridge" type of situation; it's a shame the Grammy's missed it. Not for Lana, but for them. 

As other on this forum have so eloquently pointed out, it's a sore spot for the music industry at large that the woman they ridiculed a decade ago turned into arguably the most influential artist of her generation, spawning many of today's establishment-darlings. It's no wonder they are scared of her, and scared to reward her, because it means admitting fault, and that's never an easy thing to do. 

Yet, one might have thought, twelve years after Born To Die's release, on the back of a career-defining, genre-spanning ninth studio album, they could finally have found the grace and humility to say, hey, we were wrong. To finally give an artist as influential - and historically controversial - as Lana her flowers would have been a good look on the Grammys, one that's become rarer and rarer in years mired by public outcry at the choice of winners for the big awards. 

I don't mean to understate Lana's ability to reinvent herself and redefine her artistry time and time again, I'm certain she can and will continue to challenge our expectations of her in the best way possible, but it’s still hard to imagine an opus rivaling Ocean Blvd arriving anytime soon. This album is such a layered, richly rewarding listen for anyone who has followed Lana's journey as an artist: her barest lyrics yet evoke impossible emotions, worlds of meaning are hidden within the structure of the tracklist, the album morphs into then transcends the metaphor of its eponymous track.

Nominating such a body of work five times yet refusing to bestow any accolades upon it while awarding other, derivative, and frankly infinitely more simple albums and songs is a confounding choice on the Recording Academy's part, but it's not Lana Del Rey's loss. Though she keeps pushing ever forward, the culture at large has finally caught up to her—  at least enough to recognise her impact as a generational artist, even as her self-mythology remains impermeable to many. 

Lana will move through this as she has moved through all the noise that has surrounded her for more than decade: without missing a step in her unrelenting quest to offer up her soul’s truth in her music. But when your first four-time AOTY winner in history has to take time out of her speech to praise, in her own words, that legend in her prime, who is standing behind her in the shadows, empty-handed—  you have to realise you've abjectly failed as a committee whose stated aim is to recognise "outstanding" achievements in music

Lana will probably win a Grammy one day, but it will ring hollow when she does. The moment of redemption has passed.

19 minutes ago, Yameena Khatri said:

I also wonder if the next era would be a quieter one just like Chemtrails (it's for the best if it is). 

Why? Tunnel was one of her most active eras and was fantastic. Fans enjoyed it, the media enjoyed, she constantly receives acclaim from peers and she seems extremely happy as well. Why would you want a half-assed era that she never even acknowledges and was very obviously not in a good mental state. 

9 minutes ago, FredRed said:

Well said. She may have been disappointed but you're right about how people (myself included) squint and project what she is thinking or feeling when we really have no idea. 

Yep. The fact that that edited photo of her from the 2020 Grammys where they've photoshopped tears keeps going viral on TikTok is so weird :awk:

We should all also keep in mind that Rolling Stone magazine voted Joni Mitchell Old Lady of the Year in the mid-70s (because of her real or perceived romantic attachments with Graham Nash, Jackson Brown, David Crosby, James Taylor, John Guerin, and others) after which she refused to deal with them for 4 years, and they dumped all over the brilliant if eccentric The Hissing of Summer Lawns at the same time, her follow-up to Court & Spark

No doubt she would always be remembered for her never-bettered series of albums from Songs to a Seagull through Mingus and/or Shadows & Light, but she tried to turn into a Pop artist in the 80s (after briefly retiring), which failed creatively on a grand scale and, to my mind, was a stain of her former creative record. The last thing people wanted was Joni Mitchell dueting with Billy Idol. It was an embarrassment. 

It was only in the 90s, when her albums continued to tank and grow dark and ambiguous, that a movement was begun by several female artists (including Anne and Nancy Wilson of Heart) to make Mitchell into the untouchable, irreproachable legend she is regarded as today. In the 90s, the worse Mitchell's albums got, the more other artists and critics praised them. 

Mitchell wrote two songs specifically about all of this in the 70s, about the entire madness of the music industry and the praise/hate cycle, Lesson in Survival and Judgment of the Moon & Stars, both from For the Roses

Lana, today, and for the last 12 years, has been living a similar cycle of madness, envy, and media abuse, of "I Insult You Because I Can,' the We Like You We Hate You, Your Daddy Bought You A Career, You're An Industry Puppet, Your Feminist Politics Are All Wrong, We Wish You Were Already Dead Too, You Can't Sing Live Your 'Talent' Is Just Studio Production, etc. 

As Tori Amos sings, "It's a long, long climb." 

18 minutes ago, FredRed said:

Yeah, i definitely think Lana is hurt by not winning but fans trying to point it out and inspect her every move on stage probably isn't helping her or making her feel any better. If anything it's reflecting a bad image on her and painting her as a victim, when she is not. Far from it. The scammys is just some weird ceremonial initiation ritual in which i'm almost glad Lana isn't apart of. She can't lose what she never had and the Grammy's can't take what they never owned. Her art cannot be defined by a souless, all-too-perfect award.

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

17 minutes ago, BoardingSchool said:

I think she knew after not winning earlier in the day; I don’t mean literal spoilers, but knew in her heart. I thought so the moment I saw her outfit… this is just speculation, but I don’t think that was her planned dress. It looked to me like she chose to dress, not like the spotlight winner (which she DID dress as for the gala the night before, when she still thought she might win), but like the mysterious eccentric genius, the artists’ artist, too cool for a mainstream award but there to support her basic bee friend. I really liked Taylor bringing her on stage; that was right. Lana IS the living legend. 

I read the bow for her hair was custom made so I don’t think this was a last minute decision. 

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png