Elle

Take Me Home, Country Roads (John Denver Cover) [SINGLE] - December 1st, 2023

10 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

The official press release says it's a one-off single, implying it's not part of a larger project.

https://www.universal-music.de/lana-del-rey/news/lana-del-rey-veroeffentlicht-neue-version-des-john-denver-klassikers-take-me-home-country-roads-271551

Watch her release a 7 inch vinyl of this cover and For Free as a B side in 7 months

url%5D

1 hour ago, Crazy Husband Thief said:

This is like her third worst cover and the other one we got from this project was also quite boring. 💀 This will be another drought for us Bopna stans.

100%. Zero excitement for the Standards project.

i just need one bop damn it. The last one was in 2009 (doin time, call me angel)

10 hours ago, barttttender said:

same here. It's just a basic cover of a song that's nice but nothing special.

i agree with whoever said that this should have got the Doin' Time treatment so that it would be more interesting.

i feel like lana's just putting out anything that pops into her head at this point.

we need a BOP

It sounds rushed, stripped down, flat, basic. As others have said, where is the instrumentation that made the original seem and feel sincere and of its time and place? 

She's singing the lyrics a la the classic John Denver version, but she's not singing it as if she means it or has experienced what she's saying. Where's the sense of loss, the passion, the relief of finally getting back to the place that she feels she belongs? Compare it to Buddy's Rendezvous, for example.  

Funny how on OB she says, "the WAYYYY JOHN DENVER SINGSSS" and she's doing the opposite here, no passion. It seems to me that this would drive away potential fans rather than create new ones. 

I hope we get the Americana | Classics album and soon, but I hope the rest is a little more fully realized and heartfelt than this. 

Her voice sounds amazing but Unchained Melody was the big win this week! This one is… not fully committed to a direction? I would either slow it down and make it more Lanacore, really reinterpretating it, or go all-out country like the OG. It feels like something fun she’d do around the piano with friends rather than a single. A sweet bonus track. But Unchained… my god. Deserves professional recording and a big rollout. That was a Lana culture reset right there. 

‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.’
~LDR, Flaunt

:um4:

I thought the track was really beautiful... and while I do wish the instrumentation was more similar to the original, I still think it was beautifully done :um4:

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

More than half the press release talks about the Grammys, so it’s safe to say her team released this as part of the Grammy campaign. It makes sense this song was chosen, since it was circulated late last year

"Don’t forget me"

3 minutes ago, BoardingSchool said:

Her voice sounds amazing but Unchained Melody was the big win this week! This one is… not fully committed to a direction? I would either slow it down and make it more Lanacore, really reinterpretating it, or go all-out country like the OG. It feels like something fun she’d do around the piano with friends rather than a single. A sweet bonus track. But Unchained… my god. Deserves professional recording and a big rollout. That was a Lana culture reset right there. 

Exactly. 

The cover and the song give me "home and family". I think the song is just made for a contemplative time in the last month of the year when you're cozy at home in front of the fireplace drinking a warm tea or coffee while it's cold outside.

55 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

The official press release says it's a one-off single, implying it's not part of a larger project.

https://www.universal-music.de/lana-del-rey/news/lana-del-rey-veroeffentlicht-neue-version-des-john-denver-klassikers-take-me-home-country-roads-271551

well…. :what: at least there’s still SOME hope for an unreleased collection.. 

i think the cover is beautiful, i love her voice and the picture, but i can’t really see myself listening to it a lot 

mEtDRnr.gifyou’re young, you’re wild, you’re free

1 hour ago, hotshot2am said:

this could also be implying if there's a cover album, it wouldn't be on it right? we can be delulu for a minute longer

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Oh god I just realized that this album cover will be on the next version of Blue Ivy... :lmao:  :toofloppy:  

with the absolute heart of the poem of life butchered out of their own bodies good to eat a thousand years

I find this version so warm and lovely. I'm glad she didn't mimic John Denver's approach, this is stripped back but the piano has a beautiful rhythm to it and her delivery is gorgeous and welcoming. Perfect for the holiday season :wub:

Well I guess I’m the weird one… this is an instant classic for me. :biblio: 

I actually like the instrumentation. Could’ve been better, sure. I would’ve liked a banjo and a guitar, some strings. but the non-Jack piano + steel guitar is already a beautiful combo. 

I loved this song! Beautiful haunting vocals and amazing quality! Her vocals were very clear in my opinion! And I also loved the melodical oompah-oompah piano. The choir (or just group of background singers) in the end of the song was really stunning too. A gorgeous song, a wholesome moment! :flutter: The moment I heard her vocals I was like...so nostalgic! :wowcry:

url%5D

15 minutes ago, Embach said:

I loved this song! Beautiful haunting vocals and amazing quality! Her vocals were very clear in my opinion! And I also loved the melodical oompah-oompah piano. The choir (or just group of background singers) in the end of the song was really stunning too. A gorgeous song, a wholesome moment! :flutter: The moment I heard her vocals I was like...so nostalgic! :wowcry:

Funny, because to me, say, compared to anything on Paradise, for example, her vocals sound way in the background, which I've also found on some of NFR! and most of OB. To my ear, it sounds like her vocals are just one part of the song, instead of the main part, which they should be , as I see it.