Elle

Indio, CA @ Coachella: Weekend 1 - April 12th, 2024

I don't have an issue with the setlist. Her team made a mistake of overhyping the show as something really different when it wasn't, but other than that I think it's a beautiful setlist and the show last night had all the right things in place to be one of her best.

I really think the sound issues are to blame for the show feeling underwhelming at times. The mic being bad I think really got her in her head and she wasn't able to deliver the vocals she's capable of. You could see visibly on her face throughout the show that it was upsetting her which made it hard for her to let loose and get fully comfortable on the stage. It's really frustrating because her vocals really did seem amazing, they just weren't coming through properly and then she was holding herself back as a result.

Coachella better get their shit together for next weekend because issues like that are really unacceptable for a show of this scale.

isn’t this like her first show literally ever where she hasn’t played Blue Jeans? I’m gonna count that as a win.

overall the setlist is fine. I think Jimmy shoulda been towards the beginning, Ocean Blvd should still be the closer. the song selection wasn’t bad, but the sequencing was questionable at best. 

18 minutes ago, twinkletoes7 said:

i completely agree, in my brain lana is this generations amy yet they are received so differently. i said women and queer men as that was once an actual thing a man said to me on tinder, please someone let me know if that term was offensive i just don’t want to limit it to gay men!

it is so disappointing to see those kind of reviews still exist but you’re right at least we are seeing change 

it's so much easier to just leave it at LGBT+, maybe pointing out that specifically, a lot of gay men are fans but overall she has lots of LGBT fans generally. 

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

Well just recovered from my hungover :facepalm: overall I really enjoyed the performance, the change in candy necklace, ocean eyes, the pole dance & the jealous girl entrance :usrs: I’m sure the rest of the surprises were saved for week #2 It would only make sense since it’s the last performance..I believe a majority expected too much on the first night, but even if the surprise doesn’t meet some expectations we should still be grateful on how much effort she put in it to try to make this show different from the others. Also I loved her SNL ghost and how it showed up during hope is a dangerous thing, it makes a lot a sense considering how much the media doubted her but she never gave up hope 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7laynh1btcbtvab9ylb

2 minutes ago, American Whore said:

it's so much easier to just leave it at LGBT+, maybe pointing out that specifically, a lot of gay men are fans but overall she has lots of LGBT fans generally. 

cool changing that! thanks <3 ur so right

giphy.gif

My only real criticism about it all was the audio. Whoever was controlling that did her dirty, she definitely did not seem happy about that, and I can’t blame her. Hopefully next week it will be fixed :oprah3:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

1 hour ago, Vertimus said:

I don't think Lana's fanbase is any more depressed than others today.

Lana does not make us depressed with songs like Hope, Yosemite, 13 Beaches, Wildfire Wildflower, or Old Money; these songs free our depression and sadness, frustration,  anger, and occasional hopelessness. 

It's a long tradition going back to the birth of rock n' roll, and, before rock n' roll, blues and folk music.

Very few artists from Elvis Presley, Sam Cooke, the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, the Velvet Underground, Marianne Faithfull in her 60s era, Bob Dylan, the Supremes, Smokey Robinson, Tim Buckley, Joaz Baez, Al Green, and Nico to James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, classic Elton John, David Bowie, Queen, the Patti Smith Group, the Dead Boys, Fleetwood Mac, Kate Bush, the Pretenders, the Clash, Elvis Costello, Lene Lovich, Blondie, early Ultravox, the Police, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M., Sade, Tina Turner, Tori Amos, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Jeff Buckley, Fiona Apple, Natalie Merchant, Lloyd Cole, Amy Winehouse, Kassidy, Anderson East, 21 Pilots, Lord Huron, Rayland Baxter, Father John Misty, Paul Cauthen, the Ruen Brothers, Billie Eilish, etc. have not sang sad songs. 

Sadness and all that comes with it--alienation, frustration, anger, jealousy, envy, etc.--is a big part of life. Thousands of people take their lives because of it every year.

Lana's sad songs are meditations on a theme and cathartic and freeing, not the opposite. I don't buy the "Sad Girl Shit" argument, or the "Women's Music" label, which I find incredibly stupid. 

I think some people hear slow songs and automatically assume it’s sad which is so silly. A lot of people also have this image of her being a sad girl and while there’s nothing wrong with that, not sure why people identify her with that and not others. I don’t think all of her music is meant to be incredibly sad, but more so emotionally provoking. And you’re right, music isn’t based on gender, people who think that way need to get over themselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with men liking her music, if anything I think it’s cool more men are warming up to her music!

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

This wasn't catastrophic, the mic/sound issue was the biggest disappointment of the night; however, she gave us many iconic moments and this was the most professional looking her show has ever been. But, her choice of songs is one big pacing/energy issue and I'm over her doing half (sometimes 1/3) versions of songs and only doing slower deep cuts back to back. :agree2:

Nah I still think the setlist sucked:air: Even if it had just been switched around differently it would’ve been ok (not great but ok.) and I actually don’t even care that she plays ballads but it’s the SAME ballads she always plays. I don’t love cherry/pwyc for the same reason even though I like those songs. Also the ballads she plays are possibly the lowest tempo/least interesting production wise she could choose. Happiness is a Butterfly is a ballad, Yayo is a ballad, Bel Air is a ballad, White Dress is a ballad. But Bartender and Arcadia is the hill she dies on. Those songs aren’t hits, and I feel like she could bother switching them out once in a while lol. It didn’t bother me as much during her tour but everyone on her team was hyping this up as something super special. 

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

9 minutes ago, shadesofblue said:

I think it’s because some people hear slow music and automatically assume it’s sad which is so silly. I don’t think all of her music is meant to be incredibly sad, but more so emotionally provoking. And you’re right, music isn’t based on gender, people who think that way need to get over themselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with men liking her music, if anything I think it’s cool more men are warming up to her music!

I agree, and it's about time. It's not as if men don't experience sadness, loneliness, disappointment, rage, etc. They certainly do and getting in touch with those very common feelings rather than attempting to suppress them will do them a world of good. And men can do that with biologically male artists like Jeff Buckley, Anderson East, or Lord Huron too. 

I'm old enough to remember when men as well as women listened to Carly Simon, Fleetwood Mac, Linda Ronstadt, or Heart and bought their records routinely without thinking of it as women's music. And then for Pat Benatar, Madonna, Sheila E., Sade, Joan Jett, etc.  

It was towards the end of the 80s and into the early 90s, in the midst of Grunge, that I started hearing rumblings about women's music, which some female artists actually promoted, thus there was Lilith Fair, composed of only female artists. Tori Amos refused to be a part of it on the grounds that she didn't create music for a specific audience or gender. 

My advice is just open your ears and spirit and listen, without preconceived notions of what you like or don't like. 

52 minutes ago, Three White Butterflies said:

I feel like Lana is held to an impossible standard. She doesn’t get any of the grace that other artists receive. Also, I’m reading reviews of people who actually attended her performance last night and they’re loving it and giving her lots of praise. I think her own fan base are her worst critics and people need to chill the fuck out. Someone even said that the crowd was full and everyone was loving it and they don’t know where these negative comments are coming from. 

I also can‘t believe that the pit was empty because even if the microphone sucked (again, this has become a reoccurring problem I feel like) it‘s still Lana Del fucking Rey. So happy that the people who actually were there enjoyed it!! I feel like the loudest screaming haters haven‘t even been there and are just typing for internet clout. 

I‘m conflicted about the whole criticism. 

Personally I‘m really not a fan of her playing the same set so often and I wish she‘d play more upbeat/faster/more melodic less sad songs like cola or high by the beach but I‘d still be happy to see her live if I had the chance to and I‘m sure it wouldn‘t suck. People just looove to criticize.  Also her performance is great as always, her outfits slay and her stage design is a fairytale come true. 

i have mulled it over today and have decided i did enjoy the show, but share the sentiments of pretty much everyone

the setlist was nothing short of horrendous tbh. as dramatic as it sounds, an artist with almost 10 studio albums and countless unreleased fan favourite tracks is selling herself massively short by sticking to the same safe and overplayed tracks

i know lana can be stubborn and she feels comfortable playing the songs she knows, but we have seen how incredible of a job she can do with songs she hasnt sung in a while (without you, flipside, etc), and it’s just upsetting that she straight up refuses to switch it up.

the order was also really fucking weird. it didnt flow, like, at all, and it was sad that we saw her struggle so much with the sound, but this was obviously not her fault, she still sounded fantastic.

on a positive note, i think the set and direction was great. the intro was a nice touch, and to hear jealous girl in an official capacity was really cool. backing singers ate down and the guests were a nice touch. 

hope next friday lives up to what her team promised, which they just lied about. the crowd was ass so hope they hype her up a bit next week

resident sweeter

giphy.gif

24/7/17 - 9/7/23 - 10/7/23

36 minutes ago, bluechemtrails said:

are there any known celebs who have attended Lana's show?

e.g. I've found out that Leni Klum, a model and daughter of Heidi Klum was there

https://www.instagram.com/stories/leniklum/3345162175793315924/

Cigarettes After Sex, Justin and Hailey Bieber, Camila Cabello and probably many more.

giphy.gif