Sign in to follow this  
million years

Do you think Lana is coquette

11 minutes ago, Mer said:

I actually don’t think she’s musically coquette! Maybe some parts of BB and “Sweet” - but she jumped on the Coquette visual aesthetic band wagon in 2023. She def didn’t pioneer it tho 

I think I mean in a way that her music is hyper feminine, romantic and some times submissive, and I feel that the coquette aesthetic means that way too 

but yeah I think her aesthetic isn’t coquette at all and she’s owning it now, but she’s always have sweet vintage elements throughout her career 

S0F1O.gif
dancing all night to the dirty blues 

Used to say I looked too coquette 

Then the rejection came and said I wasn’t coquette enough 

Said I couldn’t frilly it up 

Well if that ain’t coquette tell me what isssss :oprah4:

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

The Ocean Blvd era in my opinion is the closest Lana herself ever came to being “coquette”. Maybe Blue Banisters too also sorta kinda but not really. I think the connotation early on may have come from both the Lolita thing, and the fact that Video Games blew up on Tumblr, which was heavily into that aesthetic. But that doesn’t make Lana herself that aesthetic, just a figurehead in that community. During the Born to Die era she was way more Gangster Nancy Sinatra than coquette. And before that it was trailer park going to gas station so who knows why the coquette thing stuck around for years later despite Lana herself not being that way. And who makes up these words???? I don’t really understand the exact definition of the aesthetic and when i hear the word coquette i think of tiktok edits with shit like #lolita #sylviapath #priscilla #lanacore

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b95237ep20gi51lvjl437x

lana only started becoming coquette during her cotcc-bb-dykttatuob eras. i absolutely hate it when people say coquette things are “so lana del rey” because her aesthetic is more like vintage americana.

"when you play the bass, i get this feelin, just  like the way, just like i'm dreamin"

--

"well, my boyfriend's in a band; he plays guitar while i sing lou reed"

Let’s see what it means to be coquette, a definition, if there is one. :typewriter:

According to Merriam-Webster, coquette is a noun (person, place, thing, idea), described as “a woman who endeavors without sincere affection to gain the attention and admiration of men”.

Wikipedia (a wonderful source, I know!) informs us that coquette as an aesthetic has been “characterized as both a way to relive and express creativity through childhood fantasies, and a way to ‘fully escape into...femininity without feeling guilty about it,’ while ultimately being "self-aware and playful”. Wiki also notes that it’s a way for strong women to give in to their feminine side, feel delicate and innocent, and not feel like being an empowered woman makes them more masculine.

And, of course, I have to look up what Aesthetics Wiki has to say about coquettes. This page is the first to mention that girls and young women who saw themselves as nymphets eventually evolved into coquettes, because the association with Nabokov’s novel Lolita lead to various websites/social media pages to ban accounts and posts with the word “nymph”. Aesthetics Wiki describes coquette as a “hyper-feminine aesthetic that incorporate elements of youth and teenage girlhood”, and points out that it’s not focused on sexuality in the same way/at all as the nymphet aesthetic.

Now, let’s see how much of Lana we can fit into the coquette aesthetic.

Lana has a well-known song called Lolita, and I think we can all agree that 1949 took inspiration from the book as well.

I can’t think of any of her songs, except for maybe Get drunk and one or two break-up songs, where she does not seem to have at least a little affection towards her romantic partner. She does, however, know that she’s smarter than them, that she sees them through, and is aware that she can and might move on from them, as in Norman Fucking Rockwell, for example. But I do think she still feels something for the guy in that song. However, I guess she does line up with Merriam-Webster’s definition in the lyrics of A&W, because she doesn’t seem genuinely interested in any of the men she mentions in the song, and seem to even be aware that she can easily get another “Jimmy” even if she acts crazy to him.

I think Lana enjoys being feminine, as we’ve seen for many years, even before her big breakthrough. Long nails, big hair, flirty lashes, beautiful dresses. I don’t know if she uses that to “escape” into her femininity as Wikipedia describes it though, I think she simply is a glamorous person. :makeup: She seem interested in womanhood though and embracing her femininity and empowerment, remember her reading Women Who Run with the Wolves?
She reminisces her childhood, teenage and young adult years in several of her songs, like Gramma, This is what makes us girls, White Dress etc, so she does incorporate images of youth into her music, and seem to have been for a while, too, perhaps even more in recent years. Lana has always been feminine but I’d say she’s been truly hyper feminine during Born to die and Ocean Blvd eras, with her old Hollywood styled hair and bedroom pictures.

When it comes to things associated to the aesthetic, from what I’ve seen online, like the color pink and white, frills, lace, bows… I don’t know, Lana isn’t a stranger to bows or vintage lace, but I haven’t really seen her pick pink or frills when she dresses for herself. I think her classic white dresses for live performances were intentional picks. I think she might like the aesthetic though, with the bow merch, bows printed on merch, plastic cherry cake jewelry boxes etc.

So is Lana coquette? Slightly, maybe, there seem to be some elements aligning, but I don’t see her dressing as one or necessarily living by the… can I call them rules? I don’t really like that she’s associated with the aesthetic, I feel like so much of her music and who she is just is ignored, but I guess I can see why she is associated with it. 

Thanks for coming to my ted talk. :fabcat:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

No and this is why I'm high key in favour of gatekeeping. OB might be but I think she has played into people saying it's her aesthetic.

BTD was hipster and "gangster" Americana, UV was west coast grunge, Honeymoon was floral and dreamy, L4L was futuristic and 60s, NFR was.. whatever that was lol, COCC was southern inspired, BB was not really aesthetic driven imo.. And Lizzy Grant was tropical Hawaiian trailer trash chic. She's always been feminine but is that really enough for it to be such a fixation for some people? I don't think so.

As someone who is 'coquette' I don't think Lana ever really was the kind of coquette with pink bows and lacy clothing of white. I think she was more americana coquette, mostly in the AKA era though not as much in the BTD era. I also think her music has maintained an essence of 'coquetteness' throughout all her albums, it kinda just sounds like the style if you know what I mean. Recently her style has evolved into the more popular Coquette trend, at least loosely. Like when she got the "flower knows swan ballet palette" for christmas, and a lot of her recent photoshoots along with her grammy look.Though, her most recent merch was decorated with bows, but it wasn't really coquette. It was just bows put on clothing.

Mm9Nf5Z.gif

"I want to stay home, be left alone- Someone make up my mind so I don't have to decide"

https://www.last.fm/user/fakeeyelash13- my last fm <33

3 hours ago, Mer said:

Unpopular opinion, but I actually think she's adopted the "coquette" aesthetic more now than she did during BTD/UV. I think the Skims shoot, her 2024 Grammy's look, and some of her more recent aesthetics are more coquette than anything we got from the Wes Anderson-like BTD era and the Cali Cool UV era.  

My feeling is that she was labelled a coquette poster girl by the coquette TikTok girlies first and then she started leaning more into that aesthetic herself

It matches the OB era I guess but I’m curious to see what the country era has in store, I think we are already seeing a style change going from more cutesie to cutesie country to more cool country vibes

what is a coquette? a coke head? no

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

I think she saw how people were connecting her to “coquette” and just leaned all the way into it this past year. And why wouldn’t she? It has now become a fun celebration of femininity - which is something she had been criticized for her entire career. So, in a way, it’s an act of reclamation for her to embrace it. And I love that 🎀 🦢 

5 hours ago, Mer said:

These images absolutely can fit into the "coquette" definition: 

lana_del_rey___ocean_blvd___dykttatuob_by_alllp_dfwlcjx-fullview.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTI4MCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzE5MDZmOGU2LTM4MTUtNDAxMi1iOGU3LWE5ODQxYzMzZjNlMFwvZGZ3bGNqeC0wMTQ5NjdiYy1iYjc3LTRkMGUtODI2Mi1hY2VlZDcyZTg2M2MucG5nIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.cxHdOw6JkBIOEBqgodRWw2UQMd2B_mGUIvSSc4bkIC0Feature-Taylor-Swift-Dodged-Another-Lip-Reading-Debacle-With-Fans-at-the-2024-Grammys.jpg?w=1000&quality=86&strip=allGEI_wJqW4AAZ6sE.jpg

Albeit with her own unique twist - but the lace, bows, hyperfeminity can be squarely classified as "coquette" 

I can't deny that she definitely became closest to the coquette aesthetic during Ocean BLVD :true:. What I'm saying is that I don't think it's true when people say that AKA/BTD Lana is "coquette" 

2bfdb5f27c0411b17e7345642d0743ba99f47af0
 𝓟𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓸𝓷𝓽𝓸 𝔂𝓸𝓾𝓻 𝓫𝓵𝓪𝓬𝓴 𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸𝓻𝓬𝔂𝓬𝓵𝓮

𝓕𝓲𝓯𝓽𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂 𝓭𝓸𝓵𝓵 𝓭𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓼 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓶𝔂 '𝓘 𝓭𝓸' 

𝓘𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓵𝔂 𝓽𝓪𝓴𝓮𝓼 𝓽𝔀𝓸 𝓱𝓸𝓾𝓻𝓼 𝓽𝓸 𝓝𝓮𝓿𝓪𝓭𝓪

⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───⋆.˚⭒⋆.˚ 

Songs like 1949, Girl That Got Away, Every Man Gets His Wish, Puppy Love, etc scream coquette girlie to me. I definitely think she fits into the idea of that aesthetic. I mean she has a whole song called Lolita, it’s not that far of a stretch.

4 hours ago, HeyBlueBaby said:

Songs like 1949, Girl That Got Away, Every Man Gets His Wish, Puppy Love, etc scream coquette girlie to me. I definitely think she fits into the idea of that aesthetic. I mean she has a whole song called Lolita, it’s not that far of a stretch.

+ Playing Dangerous

I say she invented coquette long before it became a trend.

I mean she's sex positive and so is her art. So if you're a certain persuasion of conservative reductionist you might see her as a "coquette". I see her more as a brainy intellectual with a Phd in Marilyn Monroe.