Sitar

Unpopular Lana Opinions

heres a rough first draft of my top (almost) thirty album songs (Sirens - Chemtrails) using all the god tier trinities from my ranks in the post release threads x

1. Dear Elliot [ sorry i'm not sorry this might be my fav :oopna: ]
  2. White Dress
  3. Kill Kill
  4. Without You
  5. Bel Air
  6. Cinnamon Girl
  7. Is This Happiness?
  8. 13 Beaches
  9. God Knows I Tried
  10. Million Dollar Man
  11. Old Money
  12. Fuck it I Love You
  13. Tulsa Jesus Freak
  14. Queen of the Gas Station
  15. Cherry
  16. Out with a Bang
  17. The Blackest Day
  18. Cola
  19. Get Free
  20. This is What Makes Us Girls
  21. Pretty When You Cry
  22. Gramma
  23. 24
  24. The Greatest
  25. For Free
  26. Gods & Monsters
  27. Bad Disease

:oop2:

5 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

big eyes is one of my favorite lana songs

although, i will say, the lyrics are kinda bad...

i dont remember what any of the non Lana albums songs sound like apart from You Must Love Me, Season of the Witch or Looking for America :oopna2:

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

For me, it's actually the opposite! The songs ranks pretty low on my overall ranking, but I think it's just due to the production. There's something about the production of that song that I find off.. but I think that song actually contains some of her best and my personal favourite lyrics, especially in the verses:

"To my surprise, my love's demise
Was his own greed and lullabies"

"Your world was burning

& I stood watching

As I looked down

The flames grew high
You watched me frown
I said goodbye"

I will agree that the lyrics in the chorus are a little simple/weak though. 

I wish Big Eyes received a different production treatment. It always sort of sounded unfinished or not properly mixed or something to me x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

I've seen a few people just generally talk about how they love the West Coast radio mix here and there, but I'm honestly not sure why. It's good, yeah, but it doesn't even come near holding a candle to the original/final. The tempo change is what makes the song what it is. Without it, it's kind of dull to be honest 

imageproxy.jpg

59 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

Same! I absolutely love her voice and the melody, even though like @Elle said, the production could've been better. Also, she should've kept the song for herself (Life is Beautiful situation) and reworked it for Honeymoon, it would've been perfect

1 hour ago, Super Movie said:

I've seen a few people just generally talk about how they love the West Coast radio mix here and there, but I'm honestly not sure why. It's good, yeah, but it doesn't even come near holding a candle to the original/final. The tempo change is what makes the song what it is. Without it, it's kind of dull to be honest 

I love the radio mix! I love the more stripped back guitar, her vocals, and the lyrics “you hold me close and you say ‘hush baby hush’” and I love the way her vocals are all layered and swirl around. But I absolutely agree that the official version is far superior, but I definitely get the love for the radio mix 

my unpopular opinion is I kinda wish I Can Fly would have been released on BB so it would get the love and attention it deserves. I don’t even think you can listen to it (or big eyes) on Apple Music anymore 

"Don’t forget me"

11 hours ago, Super Movie said:

I had no idea that mix exists because I've never heard West Coast on the radio. Just heard it, it's okay, I would've definitely still like it if it were the original version but at the same time it's so basic. It sounds like a typical indie girl song without the ethereal feeling of the original. People seem to like it because it has clearer vocals, which is not odd since the majority of pop songs has crystal clear autotuned vocals and people are used to it. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

46 minutes ago, Venice Peach said:

Lana's vocals have been stellar lately but I really miss the playful vocals from the Lizzy (and BTD to some extent) days :icant:

I actually kinda think that her vocals have been on the decline since NFR :eek3:

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

6 minutes ago, Tropico Angel said:

I actually kinda think that her vocals have been on the decline since NFR :eek3:

i just miss how unique her voice used to be, how she'd experiment with her vocal styles, which she hardly does at all anymore :tsk: maybe her voice is better in the technical sense, but i prefer her polarizing & unique vocal styles from earlier albums

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

1 minute ago, Surf Noir said:

i just miss how unique her voice used to be, how she'd experiment with her vocal styles, which she hardly does at all anymore :tsk: maybe her voice is better in the technical sense, but i prefer her polarizing & unique vocal styles from earlier albums

I agree. My all time favourite vocal moments were during her 2012/2013 shows like the iTunes festival or eurockeennes.

Tbh I don’t think her vocals are much better technically (if at all) than they were a few years ago. Like not being able to hit the notes in some shows or how her voice sounds weird sometimes e.g. in the Arcadia chorus. Before it used to sound so unique and natural to her even though it wasn’t well supported. Now imo it sounds so average and strained at times

Everytime I try to fly, I fall

2 hours ago, Tropico Angel said:

I agree. My all time favourite vocal moments were during her 2012/2013 shows like the iTunes festival or eurockeennes.

Tbh I don’t think her vocals are much better technically (if at all) than they were a few years ago. Like not being able to hit the notes in some shows or how her voice sounds weird sometimes e.g. in the Arcadia chorus. Before it used to sound so unique and natural to her even though it wasn’t well supported. Now imo it sounds so average and strained at times

i just wish she would play with her vocal range a little more, of course, i don't expect her to do crazy siren-esque high notes, or her girly high register in every song, or for the rest of her career, but i feel like her voice is just very... monotone & lifeless in comparison to her past work, i think a big part of lana's appeal is her voice, which is really a one-of-a-kind voice, but she doesn't play around with it like she used to at all...

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

2 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

i just wish she would play with her vocal range a little more, of course, i don't expect her to do crazy siren-esque high notes, or her girly high register in every song, or for the rest of her career, but i feel like her voice is just very... monotone & lifeless in comparison to her past work, i think a big part of lana's appeal is her voice, which is really a one-of-a-kind voice, but she doesn't play around with it like she used to at all...

same! sis is a fucking singing machine and sing in so many ways and lately she's not playing with her vocals that much anymore, especially that mind blowing low register she used so much during BTD

yeah I'd like something ala off to the races again vocally speaking :noparty:

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

2 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

She definitely sounds better on technical terms now (her voice has gotten pretty strong, and her notes sound more sustained to me), but I do think it'd be nice for her to experiment a bit more. However, I do think she's trying it out again just through little things. Like when she slipped into the baby voice for a bit when doing BUS live, or the "it's true, darling" on WW, or the entirety of Dealer. It'd be nice to have a nice mix of the experimental and the technical, which I have a feeling is what she's inching towards doing. 

imageproxy.jpg

2 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

she's actually been experimenting a lot lately, ever since COCC and now on a few BB songs we've heard. the vocals from honeymoon to NFR felt very stagnant to me, but as we've seen ever since NFR i don't think she cares so much about making a cohesive and perfectly polished record anymore, she just does what she feels now without taking a critical aspect into consideration.

i love you, but you don't understand me.

Her vocals were definitely a little bit awkward and amateurish in BTD-Paradise, in the lowest parts of Ride she sounds like she has something in her throat (still adore that song). For some reason they were perfect in A.K.A. and Honeymoon, a perfect mix of low and high register, she even tried belting in Honeymoon. Let's admit that her vocals in Off The Races sounds like a child singing and not in a good way. 

I'm fucking crazy, but I'm free 

93b488e8eb088d879c7e1857356c23ac.gif

On 9/24/2021 at 7:40 PM, House of Balloons said:

I might be opening up a can of worms here but Arcadia is so bloodless and bland compared to her other music, I'm surprised it's on the same album as wfwf, one of Lana's rawest songs both lyrically and sonically. I love that she's bringing back a larger instrumental range (cocc was monotonous af) but the lyrical content is so inconsistent in terms of quality that it could pass for that of a LDR generator. Like those unbearable comical car references are so out of place next to the brilliant 'all roads that lead...' lyric. Her telling us to listen to it like we did Video Games makes sense in this context because you can just tell she was trying to recreate its magic which, naturally, didn't work and only made her come off as faux deep. That lack of authenticity is what made Arcadia age so fast for me while Video Games is still impactful and still worth its initial value even after 10 years of its release. (the people who trash vg can go be not-like-other-girls somewhere else).

The music video her brother made has actually made me dislike the song 'Arcadia' because that is all I can think of when I listen to the song. The awful music video. :toofunny:

8 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

What about Dealer and White Dress?

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

8 hours ago, Surf Noir said:

oh i so agree - i actually care v little for technically perfect vocals when i listen to music of any kind (though i can still appreciate them). her vocals on 'elvis' are some of my favourites - give me highly evocative and impassioned and weird "imperfect" vocals any day :cryney2:

mUENGN9.png