Sitar

Lorde

44 minutes ago, sweetener said:

- The Man with an Axe, Big Star and Leader of a New Regime are a chore to get through. The melodies are non-existent :toofunny:

Can we call them a spoken word song at this point ? All the descriptions of those songs sound like they're something out of Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass

Is this how they sound like ? @sweetener

the fact that not even pitchfork is so.......nnnnn. pitchfork always likes snooze albums 

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

I really thought she'd get praise for it just for the sake of being Lorde (like Adele will get praised even if her next project will just be another rehash of 21).

It's nice to see critics are not sugarcoating her lazyness

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

1 hour ago, sweetener said:

Heard the album and I wanted to share my thoughts:

- Fallen Fruit is a career highlight.

- The Man with an Axe, Big Star and Leader of a New Regime are a chore to get through. The melodies are non-existent :toofunny:

- I personally love Dominoes but I can tell it'll be a divisive song. Very folk 

- Oceanic Feeling is beautiful despite the opportunity of ending the song coming in at around 4 minutes.

- The deluxe tracks are some of my favourites on the album, could've easily replaced half of the standard IMO. 

The album as a whole isn't bad as people are making it out to be, but it's not hippie or psychedelic at all, just very toned down as we've heard with the other songs.  

Hearing that it’s not psychedelic at all is disappointing.

I swear some insider had said this album gave off beach boys vibes but haven’t heard too much of that so far. 

i'm enjoying most of the singles so far but i think i understand pitchfork's perspective - it's super hard to make a "hippie" album when SO many great ones exist. the sound is WELL established. for instance, some of the path sounds like

Spoiler

the zombies 'time of the season' for a reason - her and jack obviously feel nostalgic for that older sound and want to pay homage to it. but somehow w the production, it just all feels very "thin", idk how else to explain it

i loveeee lorde though and really hope that when i hear the album in full, i'll change my mind and be wanting to fight pitchfork!

mUENGN9.png

56 minutes ago, melodrama said:

All the descriptions of those songs sound like they're something out of Violet Bent Backwards Over The Grass

? What descriptions? 

They said it's slow and non melodious. And it's a chore to get through. 

Did they mention something else which I'm missing ? 

<50k debut incoming and I love Ella and even the new album, but some toxic stans need to sit down. First dragging Lana's spotify monthly  listeners....

What's good now babes? Lorde at 18m monthly listeners with her album incoming in 2 days. 

15 minutes ago, CinnamonGay said:

? What descriptions? 

They said it's slow and non melodious. And it's a chore to get through. 

Did they mention something else which I'm missing ? 

I'm also talking about the descriptions I saw on ATRL and such, not only sweetener's description

also even the descriptions only from sweetener sounds like they're spoken word songs ?

21 minutes ago, Rainbows said:

I swear some insider had said this album gave off beach boys vibes but haven’t heard too much of that so far. 

Eclipse

http://EB94-F944-4-FE0-4885-9-DE3-3-CC6-C68-A9-

The legacy

34 minutes ago, Rainbows said:

Oceanic feeling still remains ... ❤

And the Path chorus is kinda psychedelic in a way .

One thing that's common across all the songs so far..multi layered vocals on the chorus...to a point where they can all mesh together. And I like that cohesiveness. 

Be it SP,CALI,MR,PATH.. those layered vocals really add alot of depth to the songs. 

1 hour ago, Rainbows said:

I swear some insider had said this album gave off beach boys vibes but haven’t heard too much of that so far

Or maybe they were talking about cut tracks :dua: lol I don't know, but the fact we basically don't have any unreleased Lorde song makes me kinda wish there are many songs of these beach boys vibes that were left out of Solar Power because Lorde preferred this other stripped sound. Who knows at this point :trisha: 

"I'm wild, I'm free, no man can handle me"

:lanahairflip2:

36 minutes ago, be sweet said:

I agree the magic of this album is the vocal layering

have you ever heard Sufjan Stevens ???

y’all are praising her for doing the bare minimum

13 hours ago, ChaoticLipster said:

We all know that if Lana did this album you’d eat it up without a second thought. It would be all ‘omg we love Lana when she does beach vibes Magnus opus bitch’.  

It’s true that Lana stans are 1) very defensive of Lana 2) praise her for doing the bare minimum aka COCC basically

But Lorde stans aren’t better either, SP is not that great of an album and her fans are praising it just bc it’s coated with pretentious cult imagery that goes nowhere and has no bearing on the music 

It’s not *bad* but we know most of the praise isn’t because of the music itself but because of who it’s coming from