Sitar

Lorde

I liked it at first but I’ve had it on repeat since and I’m lowkey already done with it. Nothing is making me perk up really. Kind of sad since I’ve had 400 Lux on repeat for 5 days and that’s one of my least favs on PH..

LORN - ANVIL [Official Music Video] GIF | Gfycat 

So far I’ve liked all the songs, whilst they are not the most original songs in the world they are intresting enouth and upbeat.  I personally like the 2000’s vibes, makes me think of the movie The Beach and All Saints - Pure shores…and their is nothing wrong with that. I think it can only get better when we have the full album.  I honestly think it’s more interesting in parts than COCC and I think I’m gonna play it more. 

Ranking so far……Mood Ring > The Path > Solar Power >> Stoned >>>California. Although The path keeps switching with Mood Ring.  

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

I liked the singles until now. Solar Power is more interesting to me than Mood Ring. The music videos from this era are definitely a vibe and the concept seems to be strong. Can't wait for the rest of the album and MVs

1 minute ago, BluebirdXO said:

I liked the singles until now. Solar Power is more interesting to me than Mood Ring. The music videos from this era are definitely a vibe and the concept seems to be strong. Can't wait for the rest of the album and MVs

I have this bad habit of liking newer songs because they are fresh on the ears, but then when the dust settles I usually realise the other songs are actually better. 

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

1 hour ago, domandapiano said:

Mood Ring is cute. I enjoy the guitar pop reminiscent of Michelle Branch and Music era Madonna. 

I think my biggest letdown regarding all the new Lorde stuff is that on PH and Melodrama she seemed to be tapping into the culture and really making significant statements about her generation through her art, and with Solar Power, she isn’t singing about much at all. For instance the line in Mood Ring about the early 2000’s being so far away seems so unrelated to anything. I guess we are all nostalgic for it and referencing it in your art is fun but she isn’t really saying anything. 

she also doesn’t have to, and after making such bold statements with her precious stuff she can make whatever music she wants! 

still looking forward to the full listen 

Really? I found it quite the opposite. :oprah2:

In Mood Ring she sings about this wellness culture and magical thinking that our generation resorts to, trying to find direction, meaning and happiness in a confusing and sad world. Think of how so many people use astrology, horoscopes, mood rings, herbology, chakras, auras, crystals, etc. to cope with their emotions and identity. Underneath it all there's a sense of someone who feels lost and trying to latch onto all these external objects as a lifeline. I don't know about you, but myself and so many of my friends in their early 20s feel this same way. Yeah, we're grown adults, but the social dynamic has changed quite a bit and the COVID pandemic just made the plight of our generation so much more pronounced.  The early 2000s is just such a fitting symbol of comforting nostalgia for a time that, in our rose-colored glasses, seems so much simpler. :oic3:

She's truly coming of age as an adult and this lamenting of growing older is also reflected in Stoned at the Nail Salon. Spending time with those who raised you because you know we're all just marching to the end. It has this existential dread to it, which she just brushes off to being high. I relate to this so much, I always get super anxious when I smoke and I start feeling very sentimental despite still being so young. :toofunny:

I don't know if you've listened to The Path, but

Spoiler

she touches on similar themes of feeling lost. She sings of people like her being sad and broken and looking for a saviour to give direction. It's sort of the thesis statement for the record, where she really starts building on the themes of escapism and a sort of "return to nature". What I've gathered so far, the whole record seems to be pushing such a strong rejection of the status quo. California especially, with her escaping back to the clouds and away from the vanity of this 'influencer' culture. I also relate to this, having deleted my Facebook and barely posting on Instagram anymore. I know a lot of people like this, turning down these toxic social media for more privacy and a more mindful presence in their day-to-day lives.

Anyway,  I kinda rambled on but I definitely think she's onto something with this record. I really don't think she's just "not singing about much at all". She's giving us a much needed warm hug & reminding us of what is still beautiful out there, especially after a very messy year. It's not cynical at all like some of her previous work and I love that. I know I can't articulate it that well but I hope it will become more clear as we hear the rest of the music :angie:

As a longtime Lorde fan, I really wish I was connecting to her singles more—especially considering she seems to be in such a lighthearted, present-tense headspace

I don’t have a ton to say about the singles other than they’re perfect for a psychedelic trip, and I can see where Lorde cited psychedelics as an influence for the record

This is just a personal preference, but I do wish that the subjects she mentions in passing (existentialism, aging, etc.) were delved into a bit more. While I love the idea of this trippy, stream of consciousness style of writing, I sometimes feel that the distinctions between the tracks and their meanings become a bit blurred

edit: that being said, I will probably listen to this album a million times until I feel like I’ve received the record the way Lorde intended; I’m just having a hard time getting there currently lol

“…and this is all I looked for all my life – to be able to give of my love, my spontaneous joy, unreservedly, with no fear of…misuse, betrayal.”
Sylvia Plath 

1 minute ago, PatentLeatherDoOver said:

As a longtime Lorde fan, I really wish I was connecting to her singles more—especially considering she seems to be in such a lighthearted, present-tense headspace

I don’t have a ton to say about the singles other than they’re perfect for a psychedelic trip, and I can see where Lorde cited psychedelics as an influence for the record

This is just a personal preference, but I do wish that the subjects she mentions in passing (existentialism, aging, etc.) were delved into a bit more. While I love the idea of this trippy, stream of consciousness style of writing, I sometimes feel that the distinctions between the tracks and their meanings become a bit blurred

I wouldn't rule out that this was intentional. :dua:

She's talked a lot about how she doesn't want you to just immediately "get" the album when you first listen to it. 

She wants you to really sit with it and absorb it. And that will take conscious effort on your behalf to interpret the songs individually and assign your own meanings.

But this is why I think this record will be a very strong grower. If you're just not vibing with it for now, that's also okay, maybe you just don't relate. :oprah3: 

Just now, Rainbows said:

Pitchfork is really not liking the singles 

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1427756085885214728?s=21

YESS can’t wait for a low score and no critical acclaim ??????? a dream come true 

2 minutes ago, Charlottexseax said:

YESS can’t wait for a low score and no critical acclaim ??????? a dream come true 

? or some of y'all are just weird af.

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

𓊔 I took the miracle move on drug 𓊔

⚕️ The effects were temporary ⚕️

⊹ (:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅:♡:]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅) ⊹ 

24 minutes ago, sweetie said:

In Mood Ring she sings about this wellness culture and magical thinking that our generation resorts to, trying to find direction, meaning and happiness in a confusing and sad world. Think of how so many people use astrology, horoscopes, mood rings, herbology, chakras, auras, crystals, etc. to cope with their emotions and identity. Underneath it all there's a sense of someone who feels lost and trying to latch onto all these external objects as a lifeline. I don't know about you, but myself and so many of my friends in their early 20s feel this same way. Yeah, we're grown adults, but the social dynamic has changed quite a bit and the COVID pandemic just made the plight of our generation so much more pronounced.  The early 2000s is just such a fitting symbol of comforting nostalgia for a time that, in our rose-colored glasses, seems so much simpler. :oic3:

She's truly coming of age as an adult and this lamenting of growing older is also reflected in Stoned at the Nail Salon. Spending time with those who raised you because you know we're all just marching to the end. It has this existential dread to it, which she just brushes off to being high. I relate to this so much, I always get super anxious when I smoke and I start feeling very sentimental despite still being so young. :toofunny:

Reveal hidden contents

she touches on similar themes of feeling lost. She sings of people like her being sad and broken and looking for a saviour to give direction. It's sort of the thesis statement for the record, where she really starts building on the themes of escapism and a sort of "return to nature". What I've gathered so far, the whole record seems to be pushing such a strong rejection of the status quo. California especially, with her escaping back to the clouds and away from the vanity of this 'influencer' culture. I also relate to this, having deleted my Facebook and barely posting on Instagram anymore. I know a lot of people like this, turning down these toxic social media for more privacy and a more mindful presence in their day-to-day lives.

I understand that interpretation. 

What I don’t get is the idea that it’s satire or critique of the wellness culture because Lorde has been giving that vibe unironically. Existentialism is also a hard feeling to sing to. 

1 hour ago, sweetie said:

Reveal hidden contents

Anyway,  I kinda rambled on but I definitely think she's onto something with this record. I really don't think she's just "not singing about much at all". She's giving us a much needed warm hug & reminding us of what is still beautiful out there, especially after a very messy year. It's not cynical at all like some of her previous work and I love that. I know I can't articulate it that well but I hope it will become more clear as we hear the rest of the music :angie:

THIS. I don´t get how people can claim that these new songs are plain or have no substance. I would argue that this album taps into cultural problems just as significantly if not more so than her previous work, and it just clicks more and more with each´s song release and I can´t wait for the whole album to come out and to relish in the whole statement of NOW that this album is shaping up to be.

48 minutes ago, NewportBitch said:

I understand that interpretation. 

What I don’t get is the idea that it’s satire or critique of the wellness culture because Lorde has been giving that vibe unironically. Existentialism is also a hard feeling to sing to. 

She herself stated that it is a satire and I totally get that. While she also acknowledges that she partakes in it to some extent and understands why it occurs. She doesn´t shame it completely. She´s just exposing the problems and different coping mechanisms of this generation in this clima.

After hearing Solar Power, Stoned, and Mood Ring (I find leaks bring me bad energy so I haven't yet heard The Path), my feeling is that all three are okay, but not outstanding.

Like everyone else, I've been very keen for something new from her after all this time. But I can't help but wonder if maybe she herself absorbed the anticipation and early career hype a little too much, to the point where the musical output isn't really groundbreaking by her standards. I'm heavily medicated rn so forgiveness if this makes no sense

I just hope the album offers something a little more interesting and out-of-the-box, I suppose.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream