lola

Taylor Swift

5 hours ago, wilting daisy said:

i'm happy for her getting to own her masters this way like seriously power to her but most artists don't own their work either and even if hardcore swifties boycott the original versions of the albums, lots of people will still buy & stream them and taylor already has so much money its not hurting her. but i mean i still buy all her rerecordings bc i want to support her and i like getting to hear vault tracks. but overall i still think it was unnecessary to rerecord all the albums and part of me feels like it was kind of greedy and like she's taking advantage of her fans

Media has obviously become aware of this now, too. 

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/stephaniesoteriou/taylor-swift-accused-money-grabbing-shameless-vinyls?d_id=6238687&ref=bffbbuzzfeed&utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeed&fbclid=IwAR3Wrg2WuhKyrn18rSo0ag55ynV4ZwCNhawj1ErGZa677Z9VeQvzv6fjI9Q

I really hope there will be more articles like this in the future, also on other artists, as I hope it might cause some controversy so artists don't dare to release too many variants and especially don't copy Taylor's release tactics of 48 hours availability. 

It was expensive watch it 

22 hours ago, wilting daisy said:

this is why no matter how much effort taylor puts into them, the rerecordings will never be as good as the originals. you can't recapture lightning in a bottle.

22 hours ago, wilting daisy said:

most artists don't own their work either and even if hardcore swifties boycott the original versions of the albums, lots of people will still buy & stream them and taylor already has so much money its not hurting her. but overall i still think it was unnecessary to rerecord all the albums and part of me feels like it was kind of greedy and like she's taking advantage of her fans

Speak on it :gclap:

I'm definitely one of many who will continue to stream the superior original versions.

𝕪𝕠𝕦 𝕒𝕣𝕖 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕡𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥𝕠𝕞, 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕖𝕧𝕖𝕣 𝕚𝕟 𝕞𝕪 𝕙𝕖𝕒𝕕 

You really can't deny that she takes advantage of her fans' parasocial relationship with her. It's very blatant and she has absolutely no shame about it. This is the same woman that drops different vinyl variations one at a time for a limited time only instead of just dropping them all at once. The same woman that released 4 "Journal Versions" of Lover with each having a different journal so fans will buy 4 copies. The same woman that made the back of the different Midnights variations on both vinyl and CD form a clock so fans would buy all 4, along with a clock stand for both vinyl and CD. And it doesn't end there. She's not your friend, she's a business woman. Putting energy into defending her and telling people to stream the (inferior) "Taylor's Version"s of albums is crazy to me. (mainly directed at the twitter swifties, haven't see much of that behaviour on here)

qfrWuBl.png

I feel like some people like Swifties (and sometimes Lana fans) take buying merch too seriously, no one really forces you to do that :awkney: 

url%5D

14 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

You really can't deny that she takes advantage of her fans' parasocial relationship with her. It's very blatant and she has absolutely no shame about it. This is the same woman that drops different vinyl variations one at a time for a limited time only instead of just dropping them all at once. The same woman that released 4 "Journal Versions" of Lover with each having a different journal so fans will buy 4 copies. The same woman that made the back of the different Midnights variations on both vinyl and CD form a clock so fans would buy all 4, along with a clock stand for both vinyl and CD. And it doesn't end there. She's not your friend, she's a business woman. Putting energy into defending her and telling people to stream the (inferior) "Taylor's Version"s of albums is crazy to me. (mainly directed at the twitter swifties, haven't see much of that behaviour on here)

Speaking of Twitter Swifties, I always laugh whenever they call her rereleases as "ethically sourced" lol. There is nothing ethical about the way this woman runs her empire. 

6 minutes ago, Embach said:

I feel like some people like Swifties (and sometimes Lana fans) take buying merch too seriously, no one really forces you to do that :awkney: 

you clearly don't get psychological aspect of this, "not forcing" doesn't mean there's not still some kind of manipulation going on, especially if there are kids/very young ppl involved that are getting influenced very easily by their idol and that social group/fanbase they're in

17 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

Also selling CDs with their cover hidden for a limited time so that fans can't even make an informed decision on which one to get :eek:

1 minute ago, venicebitch said:

you clearly don't get psychological aspect of this, "not forcing" doesn't mean there's not still some kind of manipulation going on, especially if there are kids/very young ppl involved that are getting influenced very easily by their idol and that social group/fanbase they're in

Well yeah, but most kids don't have like that crazy amount of money to buy all these expensive stuff together, the money comes mostly from their parents and weird is that some parents actually let them buy that many merch. Maybe it's just an American thing because I haven't seen that kind of things in Europe.

---

It's kinda weird seeing Lana fans complain over Taylor and her team releasing many versions of her albums as if Lana and her team hasn't done the same thing (especially in COTCC era) and the fans going as crazy for this as Swifties do :oic2:

Again, I'm just anti-merch

url%5D

Just now, Embach said:

It's kinda weird seeing Lana fans complain over Taylor and her team releasing many versions of her albums as if Lana and her team hasn't done the same thing (especially in COTCC era) and the fans going as crazy for this as Swifties do :oic2:

i think marketing makes a huge difference here, lana isn't really involved and even said she doesn't care if her fans buy her shit, meanwhile taylor make huge countdowns, names everything limited and exclusive (which often turns out to be a bait) and tricks fans into buying her shit basically not knowing how it really looks (e.g. 1989 cds); the list really can go on and on

11 minutes ago, venicebitch said:

agree, especially as this is being framed as sort of a 'moral' thing to do in the age of TikTok virtue signalling and cancel culture; supporting taylor swift to get back at the 'evil' scooter braun. she's really struck well with the marketing.

don't get me wrong (aka don't attack me swifties) I think the re-recordings were a good idea and really shed a light on a problem (artists not properly owning the songs they write) but this cycle is really screaming cash grab, especially on the back of midnights releasing 4 vinyls to 'complete' an image of a clock, they didn't need to be vinyls she could have made really nice quality prints with a 'complete' version of the album with all the tracks on it. it's just encouraging more over consumption

29 minutes ago, hotshot2am said:

Also selling CDs with their cover hidden for a limited time so that fans can't even make an informed decision on which one to get :eek:

She is a smart business woman and knows exactly who buys things with her name on it. :oop:

28 minutes ago, Embach said:

Well yeah, but most kids don't have like that crazy amount of money to buy all these expensive stuff together, the money comes mostly from their parents and weird is that some parents actually let them buy that many merch. Maybe it's just an American thing because I haven't seen that kind of things in Europe.

---

Again, I'm just anti-merch

COTCC and Tunnel both had at least 5 vinyl variants 💀

Just now, The Siren said:

COTCC and Tunnel both had at least 5 vinyl variants 💀

ocean blvd yeah but didn't cotcc have almost 10 color variants?

url%5D

39 minutes ago, Embach said:

To be fair Lana actually told her fans to not worry about buying all the different record versions during the BB livestream she did. Definitely don’t think it is her choice. 

50 minutes ago, Embach said:

Yeah I don't get this at all. Lana releases more vinyl variants per album, yet everyone always complains about Taylor.

Compare:*

Ocean Boulevard - 7 variants / Midnights - 5 variants / 1989 TV - 4 variants

Blue Banisters - 4 / Evermore - 2 / Speak Now TV - 3

Chemtrails - 11 / Folklore - 9 / Red TV - 2

Violet - 5 / Lover - 1 / Fearless TV - 2

NFR - 4 / Reputation - 2

*including standard black, which Taylor doesn't do anymore, but not including variants of variants, ie color variations from different factories

1 hour ago, TrashMagiq said:

Help so she has a good marketing and merch team ?? Who's main goal is to make money ?? Duh.. It really isn't that big of a deal imo, she offers a lot of variation in her merch/vinyl/cd but buying all 100 colors of a vinyl isn't really necessary to support her.. it's just there as an option

Why r we dissing extra effort and more merch variants etc, I wish more artists put more effort into vinyl variants

A lot of you are completely missing the point omg it’s not about the amount of vinyl variations, it’s about the slimey tactics. Lana’s not out here releasing the same CD 4 times with each having a different journal knowing fans will buy several copies of the album to collect all 4 lmao. And I’d be saying the same about Lana if she was doing all that. Either way I don’t really care, but saying Taylor doesn’t exploit her fans is kinda delusional.

qfrWuBl.png

2 minutes ago, TrashMagiq said:

A lot of you are completely missing the point omg it’s not about the amount of vinyl variations, it’s about the slimey tactics. Lana’s not out here releasing the same CD 4 times with each having a different journal knowing fans will buy several copies of the album to collect all 4 lmao. And I’d be saying the same about Lana if she was doing all that. Either way I don’t really care, but saying Taylor doesn’t exploit her fans is kinda delusional.

they're booing you bc you're right. taylor's faux 'bff' relationship with her fans is used in the money making tactics her team pulls. idk why that's such a hard concept for people to acknowledge lol

UguUCJc.gif

leak the barrie-james co-written songs + elvis (2013)