Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

I kind of agree with the talk of ~artistic development~ while simultaneously thinking it’s all bullshit. You make music you feel and that you’re passionate about and hope others feel passionate about it. If she hasn’t grown in a way you like or if she hasn’t even grown at all, you move on and leave her music to those who aren’t tired of it yet.

She hasn’t grown much lyrically that’s true, but why are we just calling this out now, 6 albums in? I’ve always viewed her albums as largely about the same Lana, same problems, but with a different lens. We’ve had pop Lana, rock Lana, now we are getting singer songwriter Lana. I’m stoked because piano is the most superior instrument (totally fact and not just my opinion at all ;p) and I love the vibe she is going for on the songs. I’ve never looked to Lana for her lyrics anyways, her voice just makes me feel lots of beautiful things. I certainly don’t expect she’ll ever start pumping out poetry like Joni and Bobby d.

We are also basing most of our discussion on an album we haven’t heard yet so... lol

I don’t mind the mostly piano driven direction of the album. I think I would listen to HIADT more if I could hear it in the context of the album. HTD is still a great song to me, despite it being unreleased by Lana. I don’t get how, at this point, she performed that song so early when she had no plans on releasing it. I think it would’ve been perfect to hear on first listen the day we got the album. MAC was my favorite release and VB coming to a close second. Doin’ Time was also my fave next to MAC, but I doubt it’s an NFR track. I get the maturity some of you are mentioning, but I think that’s only coming from the decision by her to finally work with a different producer. Unfortunately, she’s still not open to exploring different places she can go to, lyrically and sonically. That’s what I noticed with Venice Bitch. It’s the recycled lyrics that are still there. “Bang, bang, kiss, kiss”. Mentions of Jim in HTD. Driving fast x5 in IYC. The mentions of the color blue on NFR (unpopular opinion- “blue” was overkilled during the Honeymoon era). The sounds a great- sometimes a bit too restrained still (HIADT) because of Lana or even Jack giving into Lana’s still restrictive opinions. The problem is that Lana is still hesitant to grow. I know she was all about change during the end of making Lust for Life, but change only happens if you completely want it. Positive change too, because you can regress if you look for it in all the wrong places because it’s what you’re used to. That’s why I also partly didn’t believe her with her claiming to have a whole changed mindset when she claimed that Yosemite was left out because it was “too happy”. On an album called, “Lust for Life”, Lana? She’s not ready for it. NFR sort of confirms it for me (so far). I’m sure it’ll be a great piece of work. But I’m not gonna anticipate the next one and go through the same shit/end up with the same product in different wrapping again.

NFR is a surprise release set to be released on her birthday. 21 this year is on a friday, the day artists usually drop things to chart on Billboard200 :defeated:

Don't be cruel.

She's back. Her confidence is up, so I'm happy. She's going in a different direction, which is very admirable compared to her competitors. I see her more Regina Spektor/Leonard Cohen on this one than Fiona Apple. Barry James O'neill should also be close to an album release, and I've always wondered if they were going to (amiably) synch them (though he's not the NFR model, of course).

I kind of agree with the talk of ~artistic development~ while simultaneously thinking it’s all bullshit. You make music you feel and that you’re passionate about and hope others feel passionate about it. If she hasn’t grown in a way you like or if she hasn’t even grown at all, you move on and leave her music to those who aren’t tired of it yet.

She hasn’t grown much lyrically that’s true, but why are we just calling this out now, 6 albums in? I’ve always viewed her albums as largely about the same Lana, same problems, but with a different lens. We’ve had pop Lana, rock Lana, now we are getting singer songwriter Lana. I’m stoked because piano is the most superior instrument (totally fact and not just my opinion at all ;p) and I love the vibe she is going for on the songs. I’ve never looked to Lana for her lyrics anyways, her voice just makes me feel lots of beautiful things. I certainly don’t expect she’ll ever start pumping out poetry like Joni and Bobby d.

We are also basing most of our discussion on an album we haven’t heard yet so... lol

If this is kind of @ me (which is fine, not trying to start anything) I don't mind the direction NFR seems to be going in, I just think that praising her new stuff for being a mature growth is kind of false

locals only

honestly all i want at this point is the album cover, tracklist and release date.

idc if it comes out in june or december, i want a date, i want a cover, i want a tracklist

tbh i do care if it comes out in june or december i'll literally have a breakdown if we gotta wait untill december but that's not the point

qfrWuBl.png

Do you guys think she’s doing a surprise release? and maybe that’s why she hasn’t said anything regarding NFR??? :O

"Some days are for falling in love with people, some days for cities, and some for your time in solitude."

I don’t mind the mostly piano driven direction of the album. I think I would listen to HIADT more if I could hear it in the context of the album. HTD is still a great song to me, despite it being unreleased by Lana. I don’t get how, at this point, she performed that song so early when she had no plans on releasing it. I think it would’ve been perfect to hear on first listen the day we got the album. MAC was my favorite release and VB coming to a close second. Doin’ Time was also my fave next to MAC, but I doubt it’s an NFR track. I get the maturity some of you are mentioning, but I think that’s only coming from the decision by her to finally work with a different producer. Unfortunately, she’s still not open to exploring different places she can go to, lyrically and sonically. That’s what I noticed with Venice Bitch. It’s the recycled lyrics that are still there. “Bang, bang, kiss, kiss”. Mentions of Jim in HTD. Driving fast x5 in IYC. The mentions of the color blue on NFR (unpopular opinion- “blue” was overkilled during the Honeymoon era). The sounds a great- sometimes a bit too restrained still (HIADT) because of Lana or even Jack giving into Lana’s still restrictive opinions. The problem is that Lana is still hesitant to grow. I know she was all about change during the end of making Lust for Life, but change only happens if you completely want it. Positive change too, because you can regress if you look for it in all the wrong places because it’s what you’re used to. That’s why I also partly didn’t believe her with her claiming to have a whole changed mindset when she claimed that Yosemite was left out because it was “too happy”. On an album called, “Lust for Life”, Lana? She’s not ready for it. NFR sort of confirms it for me (so far). I’m sure it’ll be a great piece of work. But I’m not gonna anticipate the next one and go through the same shit/end up with the same product in different wrapping again.

I happen to think Norman is a culmination of the Lana Del Rey persona. Perfected formula. An album that many expected to come after Video Games, but took some years to form. And a few noticeable recycled lyrics strike me more as a nod to that persona than straight up laziness. 

I don't know if they'd release it on the 21st because it'll get blocked by Lil Nas X's EP (because of the Old Town Road streams) but she should do it anyway 

Do you guys think she’s doing a surprise release? and maybe that’s why she hasn’t said anything regarding NFR??? :O

Really not sure about the surprise release, though I'd love it. it sure would fit the «no plan» thing, although she did say she wanted a couple more songs out before the album (but then again, what is more random than a surprise release?).

stop complaining about piano ballads... I personally like them and they barely feature on her other albums. 

we will get the surf rock guitars. just listen to parts of melodrama or masseduction - jack will get psychedelic at some point