Elle

Norman Fucking Rockwell - Pre-Release Thread

How the fuck do people not like Bartender?

Lyrically, it's one of the most interesting songs on this album, and the start of the chorus is dramatic and beautiful. I thought this site was full of dramatic bitches so I really don't understand.

If I had to pick one NFR song that I thought would fit on Honeymoon, that'd be it.

If you @ me I will fight.

'Bartender' stands out from everything else that wasn't released as a single from the album (except 'The Greatest'). It has structure and form, it's musically tight, and it's idiosyncratic in concept like the best of all her songwriting. I cringe a little at the 'bought me a truck' English, but that's me. 

The tune for me is a mess.  It sounds like ideas thrown together that don't mix. The baa-ar-tender bit is naf.  But it may grown on me.

I think one 'baa-ar-tender' would have been enough. I agree it's neither clever nor novel after the first occurrence. 

ohhhhh. she's written about barrie a couple of times in this new record? unexpected, i had no idea. anyone got any info on this? (sorry if it's been talked about a tonne of times)

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

If it's what she wanted to do now, fine. I'm glad she feels free and comfortable creating and releasing whatever she wants.

I feel as you and your friends do about various aspects of NFR (though I don't like HIAB)--MAC, VB and TG are musically interesting and dynamic, but much of the rest of the album feels flaccid, almost too comfortable. Though it's fairly long, it all feels 'over too quickly.' I remember a reviewer said about Honeymoon that it was "too much of not very much," and that's how I feel about NFR as an album. 

I hear you; I think it's over quickly because we already know half the songs on the album so it doesn't feel fresh and new. And I agree, it's too comfortable.  Personally, if she had gone more down the Venice Bitch route I would have preferred that as that is sonically different for her and the instrumentation is beautiful. But that being said, it's a good album.

ohhhhh. she's written about barrie a couple of times in this new record? unexpected, i had no idea. anyone got any info on this? (sorry if it's been talked about a tonne of times)

Yes, the general consensus is that California is about Barrie.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Yes, the general consensus is that California is about Barrie.

lol thank you <3 

(briefness of this answer made me laugh so much idk)

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

I hear you; I think it's over quickly because we already know half the songs on the album so it doesn't feel fresh and new. And I agree, it's too comfortable.  Personally, if she had gone more down the Venice Bitch route I would have preferred that as that is sonically different for her and the instrumentation is beautiful. But that being said, it's a good album.

Thanks. Not only have we heard half the songs, but the snippets also gave away almost everything about the other tracks, since the title song, 'California,' 'Cinnamon' and 'HIAB' are basic and repetitive--so the album as a whole is a good argument for not listening to snippets in the future. I was also expecting something more in terms of the arrangements and instrumentation after 'VB.' 

Thanks. Not only have we heard half the songs, but the snippets also gave away almost everything about the other tracks, since the title song, 'California,' 'Cinnamon' and 'HIAB' are basic and repetitive--so the album as a whole is a good argument for not listening to snippets in the future. I was also expecting something more in terms of the arrangements and instrumentation after 'VB.' 

I deliberately stayed away form the snippets for that very reason.  I wanted something new to experience.

lol thank you <3 

(briefness of this answer made me laugh so much idk)

I didn't wanna spoil as it sounded like you hadn't listened, lol

Basically, we are assuming it's about him because it's about an ex-boyfriend she ghosted who doesn't live in America. It also contains UV references and alludes to the ex's depression

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Doin Time is the song I listen to on the way to work on Friday mornings to get in that weekend mood. It’s such a bop. I will not accept any hate for it.

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over