Elle

“Violet Bent Backwards over the Grass” hardcover Poetry Book Pre-Release Thread

Confirmed by Lana for September 29th for the physical book - 

"What’s up guys? I feel like this announcement has been a long time coming. I’m just super excited that my book ‘Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass’ is coming out September 29th and the audiobook is coming out July 28th. I’m most excited too about where the entirety of the advance of mine is going towards different Native American projects. So, thank you so much for supporting. I’ve been writing these poems over the last few years and I’m very excited to share them with you. Sending you lots of love and be safe out there. Alright guys, I’ll send you more info as I get it. Okay. *kiss* Thanks."

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

so for the uninformed, what does "the entirety of the advance of mine" mean? what will she be donating? not profits, but what she got paid by the publishers in advance? im a little clueless on this stuff

Wq9zHLl.jpg

Statement from editor of Simon and Schuster:

"Lana Del Rey is an era-defining artist. She is a mythmaker and auteur—a visionary who is capable of articulating and setting the mood of a cultural moment," said Simon & Schuster Senior Editor Stuart Roberts. "Her poetry is deeply intimate and affecting. This is one of Lana’s most arresting projects yet. Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass is unquestionably another tour de force from LDR, and we’re proud to be her publisher." 

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

so for the uninformed, what does "the entirety of the advance of mine" mean? what will she be donating? not profits, but what she got paid by the publishers in advance? im a little clueless on this stuff

yes– she will be donating whatever she received upon signing the deal with s&s. with big publishing houses authors are paid an advance upfront, and then (usually) once their book sells enough copies to recoup that money they begin making profits. she prob got a big advance imo (would guess 1 million plus, or close to it) but will also prob make a fair amount in profits too since she has a built in audience for the book.

aOaIzH2.gif

filling a hole one zippo and vinyl at a time

now i feel more sorry about myself lmaoo

no ones talking about lanas original photography in the book. i'm so excited to see her upstage chuck  :toofunny:

wait how did i forget about that??????

:smile3:

wait how did i forget about that??????

i'm so excited to see how her visuals transfer from videos to pictures. we've seen pictures shes taken on her ig stories, but these will actually be published  :flutter:

giphy.gif

yes– she will be donating whatever she received upon signing the deal with s&s. with big publishing houses authors are paid an advance upfront, and then (usually) once their book sells enough copies to recoup that money they begin making profits. she prob got a big advance imo (would guess 1 million plus, or close to it) but will also prob make a fair amount in profits too since she has a built in audience for the book.

makes perfect sense! thank you <3

Wq9zHLl.jpg

yall are underestimating her photography. 

in her "cuties" instagram story, the third to last picture is one she took and the composition and lighting is professional

giphy.gif

Maybe the photography in the book is her recent work with nicole

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e