Elle

LDR7 / White Hot Forever - Pre-Pre-Release Thread - OUT SEPTEMBER 5TH, 2020

this sounds heavenly but its just not realistic :facepalm:

Yeah that's sadly true.

My delusional ass even had a thought that Yosemite could be in the acoustic songs part if they have a happier sound but that's so unrealistic that I shouldn't think about that lmao

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

this sounds heavenly but its just not realistic   :facepalm:

Yeah that's sadly true.

My delusional ass even had a thought that Yosemite could be in the acoustic songs part if they have a happier sound but that's so unrealistic that I shouldn't think about that lmao

yeah, I'd love Yosemite as well. But hey, who knows? I was dead sure TNBAR would never make it to NFR, so...

NFR taught me that no matter how much we think we have the damn thing figured out, she will always surprise us and those surprises are more magical than what we thought we wanted in the first place. Yes, I wanted more psychedelic guitars like VB and yet, the songs are just so amazing without them. 

yeah, I'd love Yosemite as well. But hey, who knows? I was dead sure TNBAR would never make it to NFR, so...

NFR taught me that no matter how much we think we have the damn thing figured out, she will always surprise us and those surprises are more magical than what we thought we wanted in the first place. Yes, I wanted more psychedelic guitars like VB and yet, the songs are just so amazing without them.

This made me think about which surprises

we can have on Whf. Like we got on Nfr the three year old bar and the 2,5 year old California which is from a side project

with Zach Dawes. In one interview Lana said that some songs which didn't make it into the record sound like the the L4l Title track. It seems that with Lana is everything possible...

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Can we corner Jack and give him a copy of Honeymoon and get him to do his own take on the honeymoon vibe/sound mixed with NFR for WHF???????? 

You mean corner Jack and make him listen to an album that is actually properly produced and mastered?! 

tenor.gif?itemid=9152256

Honestly I’ve kind of had enough of her songs being piano/guitar based. I want her to use more exotic instruments like some of the songs on Honeymoon.

Honeymoon really does have the best instrumentals

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

You mean corner Jack and make him listen to an album that is actually properly produced and mastered?! 

tenor.gif?itemid=9152256

You don’t by any chance think that how NFR is down to Lana not Jack? 

Jack’s work for others is fine (eg Lorde and Taylor Swift)

That being said I love how NFR sounds. 

NFR and Honeymoon are my fave albums. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

You don’t by any chance think that how NFR is down to Lana not Jack?

Jack’s work for others is fine (eg Lorde and Taylor Swift)

That being said I love how NFR sounds.

NFR and Honeymoon are my fave albums.

To be fair I can't really blame Jack for that. He's a Yes man.

okay unpopular up onion but I really want her most stripped down sound yet (kind of like florence + the machine did with high as hope) and like minimalist, postmodernist, almost dada-inspired elements (i'm thinking like the "i want you to play with me" jesse rutherford collab snippet). I feel like she's tried a "big" sound with btd, paradise, honeymoon, lfl and while uv & nfr were more stripped down i'd still love to see her take that even further with this album. she could just have the focus be on her voice and raw melodies and maybe like one church organ or one synth and very minimalistic beats: an idea

I think we talked alot about what we sonically expect or wish for Whf but what do you think could be the lyrical themes. What lyrical themes do you expect or which lyrical direction you want Lana to take?

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Since Lana first said WHF would be in the same vein as NFR and now she specified that she wants to move away from the specific sound of NFR and do more of a band sound, I think she probably did just mean that it would be raw and analogous like NFR was but not the same overall. So I’m getting kind of soft rock or folk rock type vibes now. Seeing as NFR was immersed in the laurel canyon singer-songwriter type sounds, folk rock or soft rock is a natural evolution from there. More and more, it is looking like WHF will be the more guitar-based version of NFR, maybe even more stripped back in terms of production, but probably also more of a pulse too. WHF I imagine will be closer to the “happy UV” sound everyone expected NFR to be. I hope she does end up going in more of a band direction for this album. Maybe she should bring her touring band into the studio or get that side band she had in 2016 back together, either would be a great backdrop for the album if she wants a band.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

Y’all cannot say it’s not one of the most critically acclaimed albums of the last 10 years just because you aren’t as hard a Stan of it. Yeah it just came out but it’s literally already been thrown super high on on best of the decade lists. They ain’t gonna change the lists. You can say “none of those critics lists matter” till the cows come home, but it’s literally a fact that this is critically acclaimed and considered her best record from a critic standpoint. (I didn’t realize I was in the WHF thread considered everyone seems to be arguing about NFR here for some reason?)

Also, piano IS the best instrument on the planet and I will NOT hear it slandered.

WHITE HOT FOREVER AS LANAS PIANO ONLY ALBUM I AM HERE FOR IT.

How many times must I come to these threads and see everyone trying to invalidate each others opinions instead of discussing them like adults. You’re all children that think you’re “right” so you can’t drop the fact that some people like an album and some people don’t. I’m not referring to one specific side of this argument either. It’s always the same handful of people.

Interviewer: How long was the process from beginning to end?

Jack: We never really started and we never really ended. 

Lana: We're still writing.

Source: Grammy museum interview

source.gif

I think NFR is most comparable to HM in her released albums so far. The mood is completely different from UV and BTD, its similar at times to LFL but more in line with HM. Very introspective and withdrawn at times. HM is sophisticated and mature but slightly undercooked (sorry to use that word Lana) and NFR is a bit more fully formed as a mood piece.

I think WHF will continue that but be a bit bigger and bolder with a more UV-like attitude

I think NFR is most comparable to HM in her released albums so far. The mood is completely different from UV and BTD, its similar at times to LFL but more in line with HM. Very introspective and withdrawn at times. HM is sophisticated and mature but slightly undercooked (sorry to use that word Lana) and NFR is a bit more fully formed as a mood piece.

I think WHF will continue that but be a bit bigger and bolder with a more UV-like attitude

This is a really interesting take. I feel super differently cause I feel like HM is almost more of a fantasy piece - what with all the big cinematic sound and talk of gangsters, sunshine, limousines and saaawwwfft iiiice creeeeaammm :hooker:  - whereas NFR feels much more rooted in reality and earthy. I get much more of an UV vibe from NFR personally.

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I think we talked alot about what we sonically expect or wish for Whf but what do you think could be the lyrical themes. What lyrical themes do you expect or which lyrical direction you want Lana to take?

I'd like it to be about bliss, like in the way Honeymoon was an alternate reality of her life, I want WHF to be about her reaching that now.