Elle

3 Part Video for Norman Fucking Rockwell, Bartender, & Happiness is a Butterfly - OUT NOW

I like the video. It’s nothing special, but it’s obvious that this was just a cute little video she did and it isn’t meant to be like, a cinematic masterpiece. It’s just her having fun and fucking around. It’s not that she lost her touch and she isn’t serving up good music videos anymore, just 3 months ago she served up the Doin Time video, which had a high budget and a storyline. She was a huge woman walking around the city who murdered her normal sized version’s cheating boyfriend at a drive-in movie theater by shaking and dropping his car, like, that was a moment. She also dropped the FIILY/The Greatest mv, which was a really good video imo.

qfrWuBl.png

the greatest/fiily had allusions to her old videos, but it was nothing like them. the older videos were marked by daring, grand, beautiful emotional truth that no one but Lana was honest, talented, or cool enough to portray accurately

portraying an emotion accurately can sometime only be done through the use of non-naturalistic storytelling

and nfr is Lanas most naturalistic record yet obviously. but the lust for life videos weren't good either. love tried and failed, white mustang video is a flop if there ever was one. so I think Lana is just more reserved in her willingness to portray very strong emotions

I agree ! I don't like it either, which is what I was expressing. trying not to be too harsh though... I always come around to appreciate Lanas stuff more over time

I think thats why lust for life tanked so much on an emotional level, there is no way to connect with someone when you know they're so obviously pretending to be happy and have this new fake found lust for life. The only part of that album that felt real was the last 3 songs. Heroin felt very raw and honest, Change actually felt very sincere to me, its one of the only tracks on the album that felt the most happy and sad at the same time, not forced. And of course Get Free which imo was also a masterpiece

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

She really is losing her touch, it can't go unnoticed.

Bartender is one of my favourites from the album, and I feel like she could have made a whole video of the song as a standalone, because Bartender's lyrics tell a good story and she could have used it to her advantage, visual wise. What a wasted opportunity. I always imagined Bartender would be a little bit like the HBTB video, idk why.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I feel like she knows most of fans love anything she puts out, and that’s why she stays in her comfort zone.

It’s kind of sad to see how her videos used to be and how they are now. It was a cute video, I guess. Nothing more than that.

She already made 2/3 professional music videos this era they're not going to keep giving her money to make more when they can give it to Billie instead 

That's a perfect example of how a high budget video doesn't equal a good video. I love Billie but her video for All the good girls is awful, and you can clearly see a high budget was put into it. I much prefer watching Lana driving around than Billie walking for three minutes covered in tar.

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

She really is losing her touch, it can't go unnoticed.

Bartender is one of my favourites from the album, and I feel like she could have made a whole video of the song as a standalone, because Bartender's lyrics tell a good story and she could have used it to her advantage, visual wise. What a wasted opportunity. I always imagined Bartender would be a little bit like the HBTB video, idk why.

Agreed. It's the slow verses that could be her hanging about like at the start of HBTB and her running during the choruses. It's such a beautiful song, and I agree, she should have done something more than... this.

locals only

Stuff for frivolous complaining about: lip-synching piano : check!
[and I would like to know if she's actually trying to, or playing, the piano part]
Friends in video, with sister directing/photographing: check!
Silly metaphors with sinister overtones: food fight with cops: check!
 [bTW, don't know why I thought Marie Antoinnette when she threw the sandwich, but I did.]
Taunt at persona-fixated critics: "I'm dying", while laughing [her only spoken lines?]: check!
Taunt at needy fans, who hate when she recycles video footage: flipping butterfly birds: check!
And probably other things I'm too dense to notice.

Yeah, it's a hand-made video, but I'm happy with it.

She already made 2/3 professional music videos this era they're not going to keep giving her money to make more when they can give it to Billie instead 

I mean Billie doesnt exactly do much either apart from sit in the exact same spot for 3 and a half minutes making ugly faces against a "oh wait a BLUE background" or "oh wait its GREEN now" :flutter:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I think she's incredibly poised in it, strangely enough, and she explored that real well imho. I was confused for a sec, but, and w the rest of the videos she's released this cycle. Idk how to put this properly, the videos are actually still balanced, just shift the focus from the technicalities, and more so- I think it's supposed to be absorbed in full, as a whole, the animations are cute, but what she actually wants u to see, is her. It's strangely wholesome because although sure it's underwhelming from what her videos got us used to, but- this is her. The intimacy is what's supposed to carry this through, and it did. At least for me. 

Why I wanted to ask about the other peeps who aren't from California is because, at least for me, my intuition's been firing on and off in the vids for more reasons than one, bc growing up around here, it's definitely a lot more immersive in experience. And I fucking don't wanna sound territorial or condescending, but I think what she's doing is taking away the glamour from what Hollywood offers, she moves past it, and gives u an average free day of what it's like in LA. Not to make anyone feel unincluded at all, but it's incredibly local-feeling. This is what the culture's downtime in youth can be like sometimes. 

It feels like something's ended and I can't put my finger on it exactly. It also feels like she's accepted something about herself that she hasn't before. Damn, her life focus kinda just shifted, and I'm happy for her. 

In a more collected, but still collective sort of perspective, she's saying she's basically made it, done w it. She's just gonna live her life.

UV/Honeymoon

at first glance the video looks particularly honest because she's showing her friends, bf, and house. but after we've tasted ultraviolence and paradise, we know her capacity for communicating the uncommunicable esoteric parts of existence, and its harder to appreciate her art that don't seem to go far beyond a regular life. even though that kind of work is great its own right.

probably, she doesn't want to go back into the extremes of emotional expression because she doesn't want to go back to extremes of emotion, ie depression ... understandable !  

so idk how to feeeeeeeeeeel . I do love parts of these videos, and I die for Lana to be happy but I also want her to use every drop of talent God gave her. 

Random thoughts on the video.

I fucking hollered when I saw the explosions and CGI rockets  :eartha:

The sandwich didn't deserve that treatment  :crossed:

One of the cops is the guy from the album cover, right? Who is the other one? 

Alex not knowing the HIAB lyrics was awkward (in the 2nd "Don't be a jerk don't call me a taxi")

All in all, that was cute, but I'll never watch it again. 

The Unholy (iPhone) MV trinity now: UV - Honeymoon - This Mess (iconique UV MV is the superior out of all these  :hooker: )