Elle

"Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass" Spoken Word Poetry Album - Pre-Release Thread

lemme just give my 2 cents on this cuz reading this is giving me a stroke

1) does anyone really believe an actual publisher would sell the book for $1 when the production cost of a hardcover book are extremly expensive? we all knew this was out of the picture once the rights were sold to a real publisher and not lana's handbinding workshop

2) "she ist just donating her advance" like, our girl can be lucky if she manages to make more profit than her advance with this book

1) Yes, she was clearly joking when she even announced it.

2) I think the advance will be a sizeable donation, but it's contradictory to what she initially stated her mission with it was. 

I hope you recover from your stroke :) 

3lfQEhw.png

i’m just excited for anything she does at this point. she has plenty of reason to retire for a few years with as much work as she’s put out, we’re lucky to get 2 books and another album within the span of a year like she’s trying to plan out.

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

2) I think the advance will be a sizeable donation, but it's contradictory to what she initially stated her mission with it was. 

i mean i'm sure her initial mission was to donate money but when she realised or got advised that she'll probably end up donating more this way than if she donated the profits than it makes it better she changed that instead of just sticking to her word just for the sake of sticking to her own word even if it resulted in a worse outcome.

i76mrxw.png 

She did make a statement on the night of the 3rd stating she would have to push it back due to the robbery she faced over the holidays, though the wait did end up being more than a month as she first predicted - 

49325860663_a400b18ddb_o.jpg

49280633142_d7211ceb66_o.jpg

Oh that's fair enough. It's scary how many people have stolen things from Lana. Poor Chuck too. Smh.

i mean i'm sure her initial mission was to donate money but when she realised or got advised that she'll probably end up donating more this way than if she donated the profits than it makes it better she changed that instead of just sticking to her word just for the sake of sticking to her own word even if it resulted in a worse outcome.

Totally. It happens a lot with 'Sky's the Limit' big dream donation plans to plan to do something, but it ends up being more sensible to actually do something else - I'm just not sure what exactly that is from Lana yet?

I wish there was a bit more information available on her website around the transparency of what is actually being donated, to what organisation, and how it will benefit Native Americans. Like, is it legally to one big foundation, or is she donating across multiple orgs? As someone not in NA I'm still not even sure how to refer to the organisations correctly or know what exactly some of my money (if any?) is going towards.

As a side note - at the start of the year in Australia a comedian raised $50 million to donate to organisations to help with the after effects of bushfires. Everyone I know donated, but later in the year we found out a court ruling had passed that because the donation was set up for the NSW fire fighters, legally all the money went there and couldn't be shared to other organsations. That has me really weary of knowing exactly what I'm supporting going forward, hence I am finding her claim to 'split half the profits' to her 'advance' a little disingenuous even though she has clarified.

I would - and still have - bought the book for fun, but it's so good to hear she's supporting a cause. So I hope there is a forward in the book or a follow up interview about it where she talks about it in much greater detail! I think some people have touched on it but I still don't even know why she is specifically donating to Native Americans and why the cause is dear to her (?).

ETA: Yeah, disregard this ENTIRE POST she has clearly said it's for Navajo Water Project, as as for why:

“I just really wanted to pay homage to the country that I love so much by doing my own reparation, I guess I would say — my own reparative act . . . I have no reasoning for it, other than it just feels right to me. And so, for as long as my album, my spoken-word album, is distributed, half of it will be going to Native American organizations across America, so I’m very excited about that, and I’m in the middle of speaking to people from the organizations that will change every year.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/music/story/2019-12-20/lana-del-rey-spoken-word-album-poetry-book

3lfQEhw.png

Totally. It happens a lot with 'Sky's the Limit' big dream donation plans to plan to do something, but it ends up being more sensible to actually do something else - I'm just not sure what exactly that is from Lana yet?

I wish there was a bit more information available on her website around the transparency of what is actually being donated, to what organisation, and how it will benefit Native Americans. Like, is it legally to one big foundation, or is she donating across multiple orgs? As someone not in NA I'm still not even sure how to refer to the organisations correctly or know what exactly some of my money (if any?) is going towards.

As a side note - at the start of the year in Australia a comedian raised $50 million to donate to organisations to help with the after effects of bushfires. Everyone I know donated, but later in the year we found out a court ruling had passed that because the donation was set up for the NSW fire fighters, legally all the money went there and couldn't be shared to other organsations. That has me really weary of knowing exactly what I'm supporting going forward, hence I am finding her claim to 'split half the profits' to her 'advance' a little disingenuous even though she has clarified.

I hope there is a forward in the book or a follow up interview about it! 

wasn't this post about this

i76mrxw.png 

wasn't this post about this

omg . . . fuck me. Yes. This is the DUMBEST thing I've ever posted on this forum.  :toofunny:

EDIT: And also here is what she said about why the cause:

“I just really wanted to pay homage to the country that I love so much by doing my own reparation, I guess I would say — my own reparative act,” she said in the video. “I have no reasoning for it, other than it just feels right to me. And so, for as long as my album, my spoken-word album, is distributed, half of it will be going to Native American organizations across America, so I’m very excited about that, and I’m in the middle of speaking to people from the organizations that will change every year.”

3lfQEhw.png

I have the feeling that her plans for Violet weren't as big in January as they are now. If she wanted to release it in January or even a month later the books/vinyl records would have had to be ready for delivery in the first half of the year. But now in September they still aren't ready. That makes me think she initially didn't plan for it to be such a big project with 5 vinyl editions etc. If my theory is true I'm happy she waited to release it. I also hope Behind the Iron Gates will be connected to Violet like Born to Die & Paradise.

I have the feeling that her plans for Violet weren't as big in January as they are now. If she wanted to release it in January or even a month later the books/vinyl records would have had to be ready for delivery in the first half of the year. But now in September they still aren't ready. That makes me think she initially didn't plan for it to be such a big project with 5 vinyl editions etc. If my theory is true I'm happy she waited to release it. I also hope Behind the Iron Gates will be connected to Violet like Born to Die & Paradise.

agree, and i'm also interested to see how much revision has gone into the poems we've seen (n IG, in Vogue Italia etc). part of signing a book is doing revisions with an editor, so she may have also made significant changes to the manuscript since selling it to s&s. i do hope she'll do an in-depth interview for it's release.

aOaIzH2.gif

Does any know if critics review spoken album? Im very curious

The first "big" spoken word album I could think of was the just released Dalai Lama's Inner World album and according to Wikipedia only The Times, Clash and The Independent reviewed it. Violet being a Lana album, though, I imagine music journalists will want to have a say on it, specially with Jack producing it, so it might gather more attention that that.

K so if this is a staggered drop then New Zealand gets it in just over 12 hours, but I feel like she will do a worldwide drop at midnight LA time

Of course, we won't find out in advance because she never tells us anything like that. I'll fall off my chair the day she does a countdown to a release like many other artists do.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

K so if this is a staggered drop then New Zealand gets it in just over 12 hours, but I feel like she will do a worldwide drop at midnight LA time

Of course, we won't find out in advance because she never tells us anything like that. I'll fall off my chair the day she does a countdown to a release like many other artists do.

I've been wondering the same, like if you guys in Oz &NZ might get it first but I guess it'll be LA time zone.

5fe355eac0b664d0bc39e10665a55b42.gif

She's a gorgeous narcissist and she knows it.

I cant believe Violets comes out in just one day, it's so weird to be getting TWO lana projects in the span of a month. But i feel like there hasn't been much hype, like nobody is talking about this audiobook much and its out tomorrow lmao, but anyway i wonder if it will drop at midnight everywhere when its released... i hope its on spotify

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I cant believe Violets comes out in just one day, it's so weird to be getting TWO lana projects in the span of a month. But i feel like there hasn't been much hype, like nobody is talking about this audiobook much and its out tomorrow lmao, but anyway i wonder if it will drop at midnight everywhere when its released... i hope its on spotify

The press doesn’t get excited over poetry. But we as Lana’s fans can do our part to get people excited about poetry

i’m just excited for anything she does at this point. she has plenty of reason to retire for a few years with as much work as she’s put out, we’re lucky to get 2 books and another album within the span of a year like she’s trying to plan out.

will she ever take longer than a 2 year break? i had a random thought that she’s trying to get more albums out than TS since she’s at 8 studio albums but Lana isn’t too far behind.

will she ever take longer than a 2 year break? i had a random thought that she’s trying to get more albums out than TS since she’s at 8 studio albums but Lana isn’t too far behind.

Hmm I don't think it has anything to do with Taylor, I think Lana just naturally enjoys writing and making a lot of music and dropping it whenever/casually, like how she's talked a lot about her desire to do surprise releases. I'm happy she has enough creativity to keep making art, and hope she doesn't slow down  :$

Hmm I don't think it has anything to do with Taylor, I think Lana just naturally enjoys writing and making a lot of music and dropping it whenever/casually, like how she's talked a lot about her desire to do surprise releases. I'm happy she has enough creativity to keep making art, and hope she doesn't slow down :$

i’m just scared when she does take a break, it will be a very long one