Elle

TEMPORARY Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 19th, 2021

not that it means anything, but I find it curious that she posted this in 2017

Screenshot-20200715-015814.jpg

that’s the album cover to a king krule album

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

this thread/website/yearning for COTCC is my only source of serotonin these days.. .. lol

Her and sufjan stevens records in September are what is getting me through the next few months

honeymoon confuses me. all her other albums have a discernable "storyline" if you want to call it that, or they paint a picture of a specific time in her life. first disclaimer is that idk what was going on in her life at this time. i know she broke up with barrie and was dating that francesco guy, but idk really what was going on there. so admitting the fact that idk what her personal life was much like at this time, this is how i view honeymoon.

ACT I: sex, drugs, and rock n roll

-Music to Watch Boys To

-High By the Beach

-Freak

-Art Deco

-Religion

-Salvatore

This is the surface layer. She's got boys, she's got drugs, and she's got California. From the outside, that looks pretty nice tbh (at least to me). 

ACT 2: everything is not what it seems

-Honeymoon

This starts to pull the curtain back. Beyond the sex and the drugs, she's clearly involved in something toxic (I'm guessing her relationship with the hot italian guy?). She likens him to a spy or a killer, and a rich, globetrotting photographer to the stars could understandably give her that impression. She wants more from him (the Freak demo is her asking her lover to marry her) than he's able to give, cause he's got baggage of his own. 

ACT 3: she's so fucking sad

-Terrence Loves You

-God Knows I Tried

-The Blackest Day

-Swan Song

-Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood

This is the reality of her life at this time. She feels lost, lonely, and worthless. In God Knows I Tried she straight up says she has nothing to live for. She dreams of just running away and fading into anonymity. All she wants is someone to understand her.

So thats my personal reading of Honeymoon: she's distracting a profound sadness and emptiness with men, drugs, and parties. Ultraviolence is kind of her at her lowest, emotionally. And then Honeymoon is her kind of dwelling in that dark place, and showing us how she copes with it. "filling the hole" (heh) with drugs and fun and hot italian guys is what i assume she was doing at this time.

am i totally wrong?

I've honestly never looked too hard into the storyline of Honeymoon. It's actually my favourite album, but I've always seen it as an extension of her real life, like what she dreams about and thinks about, rather than a full story and journey, the way that BTD, UV and Paradise are. Lana has called it her 'vanity project' and for that reason I think of it as something she made just for her, just to bring to life some of her fantasy and things that absorbed her at that time of her life.

She seemed lonely, and with that loneliness was contemplating things from different times of her life, and even future possibilities.

I think she had multiple of her past relationships in mind (the blackest day, TLY, salvatore, HBTB, 24), and could also have been thinking about future relationships, or imagining what could have happened if she stayed with someone from the past (honeymoon, swan song). 

Religion (as i only recently found out) is in fact about her relationship with music and her career. GKIT is probably part of that story too, as well as DLMBM.

MTWBT & Freak must have come from dreamy carefree thoughts. 

Art Deco is not about her at all, but something she made up in her mind for some other young lady, maybe not even in the present day. 

So that's why it doesn't seem like a story or journey to me. Just puzzled pieces of where her thoughts took her at the time. Your analysis is right too, of course, but the timeline is probably not meant to be real at all (Burnt Norton).

I also think that's why she made an instagram just for Honeymoon, and then forgot about it too  :teehee:

I feel like there is going to be a strong surf-haze, dream-guitar and neo-noir feel to this record with a possible return to “Hawaiian Glam Metal” as a lot of Lana’s activity lately has been inspired by Hawaii.

1. For starters, she went to Hawaii with a large group of friends and family at the end of 2019. We know she is very responsive to place, her trip to Hawaii likely inspiring the next few points.

2. She followed a lot of accounts of families with new babies who happen to live in Hawaii, most notably @/ockeydockey; in a DM to her, Lana wrote “maybe it’s the quarantine that’s got me Hawaii dreaming”.

3. She posted a clip to Instagram from the movie “From Here to Eternity” which deals with the lives and romances of soldiers during the attack on Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. Perhaps the quality, technicalities and plot of the film will see half of the album adopt a noirish sound and theme while its location will see other songs sound surfy and summery.

4. Lana’s recent look with her blonde hair and long nails draw back to her Lizzy era when “Hawaiian Glam Metal” was her self-proclaimed signature genre. It’s safe to speculate that perhaps a surfier/noir sound on COTCC had her feeling nostalgic for the aesthetic and look she had at the time. We also see this reflected in her recent decision to don a pair of huge bamboo-golden hoops with words in the centre on her birthday, similar to ones she wore frequently in 2009.

5. In the second video of Patent Leather Do-Over Lana posted to Instagram (the one where she films herself walking down literal sea-cliff stairs), she can be heard saying in the background how the scenery almost doesn’t look like California, but rather Hawaii. The instrumentals to Patent Leather Do-Over are also quite hazy and surfy with their dreamy guitars, which may be an indication of the sound we will hear on COTCC.

6. It could be that FILY on NFR, being the last track recorded, was a jumping off point for more surfy songs, as we know Lana’s earliest versions of songs for a new record tend to be in a similar vein to the previous record, sonically.

I feel like there is going to be a strong surf-haze, dream-guitar and neo-noir feel to this record with a possible return to “Hawaiian Glam Metal” as a lot of Lana’s activity lately has been inspired by Hawaii.

1. For starters, she went to Hawaii with a large group of friends and family at the end of 2019. We know she is very responsive to place, her trip to Hawaii likely inspiring the next few points.

2. She followed a lot of accounts of families with new babies who happen to live in Hawaii, most notably @/ockeydockey; in a DM to her, Lana wrote “maybe it’s the quarantine that’s got me Hawaii dreaming”.

3. She posted a clip to Instagram from the movie “From Here to Eternity” which deals with the lives and romances of soldiers during the attack on Pearl Harbour in Hawaii. Perhaps the quality, technicalities and plot of the film will see half of the album adopt a noirish sound and theme while its location will see other songs sound surfy and summery.

4. Lana’s recent look with her blonde hair and long nails draw back to her Lizzy era when “Hawaiian Glam Metal” was her self-proclaimed signature genre. It’s safe to speculate that perhaps a surfier/noir sound on COTCC had her feeling nostalgic for the aesthetic and look she had at the time. We also see this reflected in her recent decision to don a pair of huge bamboo-golden hoops with words in the centre on her birthday, similar to ones she wore frequently in 2009.

5. In the second video of Patent Leather Do-Over Lana posted to Instagram (the one where she films herself walking down literal sea-cliff stairs), she can be heard saying in the background how the scenery almost doesn’t look like California, but rather Hawaii. The instrumentals to Patent Leather Do-Over are also quite hazy and surfy with their dreamy guitars, which may be an indication of the sound we will hear on COTCC.

6. It could be that FILY on NFR, being the last track recorded, was a jumping off point for more surfy songs, as we know Lana’s earliest versions of songs for a new record tend to be in a similar vein to the previous record, sonically.

:defeated: this would be a dream come true!! i haven't even thought of all of this but it makes a lot of sense. 

x14CtFn.gif  89cxvIN.gif  BolwSzs.gif

i  h a v e  a  d i s c o  b a l l  m i n d  . . .  l i g h t s  f l a s h i n g  a l l  o f  t h e  t i m e

^can someone give examples for lana songs in that "hawaiian glam metal"? Is it something like Kill Kill or just lizzy era in general

It's nothing, it's just pretty words she put together and the stans take it hyperserious. She probably alluded to songs like Kill Kill, Hawaiian Tropic, Wayamaya, Jump, Raise Me Up etc.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

this is exactly what I've wanted so I'm so glad that it could be a possibility 

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

^can someone give examples for lana songs in that "hawaiian glam metal"? Is it something like Kill Kill or just lizzy era in general

The only song that ever made me think explicitly "oh yeah, Hawaiian glam guitars" (given I knew that phrase from her) was Body Electric (album version), maybe at the end of the first verse (but really far back in the background sonically), but also especially in the bridge. The beginning of the Freak demo may also be related to the style she refers to. I take it to be a type of guitar style like country but intending to seem way more exotic and possibly ambient. 

So Antonoff is the most probable producer for COCC? Whether you hate or like him, I'm surprised people don't talk more about his Bleachers stuff and FUN not sounding anything like NFR, although the poetry background music should be informative about something. 

Imagine if she releases Grenadine Quarantine while being on lockdown, how prophetic it would be.

Imagine if she releases Grenadine Quarantine while being on lockdown, how prophetic it would be.

It's nothing, it's just pretty words she put together and the stans take it hyperserious. She probably alluded to songs like Kill Kill, Hawaiian Tropic, Wayamaya, Jump, Raise Me Up etc.

Whenever I listen to Raise Me Up, I instantly think of New Orleans because she references voodoo in Mississippi ("putting crystals on my neck", "birds are flying out of my mouth") - an album like that would be pretty cool

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

I would love an album one day in the aesthetic of the movie "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"

fp4816-fear-and-loathing-in-las-vegas-ke

I mean her entire career has elements of it, but i'd love if she made a really psychadelic and trippy sounding album, with a strong crazy neon Vegas aesthetic. Imagine an album booklet similar to this cover, with Lana's face all distorted and crazy, and flowers and drugs everwhere. It's also giving me LP1 by FKA twigs vibes. I know its a reach, but i'd love to see Lana do something very avant-garde one day

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

inb4 it's all piano inspired by idk air :defeated:

the last song she did before this album was LFA. the last song for the last album was FIILY

i’m expecting something similar to those two, more guitar led and a good selection of drums

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole