Elle

Chemtrails Over the Country Club - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Chemtrails Over the Country Club  

869 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Chemtrails Over the Country Club?

• White Dress
    • Chemtrails Over the Country Club
    • Tulsa Jesus Freak
    • Let Me Love You Like a Woman
    • Wild at Heart
    • Dark But Just a Game
    • Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    • Yosemite
    • Breaking Up Slowly
    • Dance Till We Die
    • For Free

i copied @Dragons tracklist and put ITTJ as track 3, thunder as track 11 and living legend as track 12 and now im in love :xcry:

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

51 minutes ago, IanadeIrey said:

Well, we’ve made it to the post-release! This record is absolutely amazing and she’s truly done it once again. It feels fresh but so familiar at the same time and every song blew me away. Wow.

Here are my thoughts on each individual track: 

White Dress

What a stunning opener. The vocals on the chorus are an artistic risk for Lana, but the desperation in their delivery are perfect for the song. A song like this demands to have a more experimental creative output and I love that she does just that while still retaining her signature melodic style. The production during the outro of the song reminds me of the ending of the audio for Patent Leather Do-Over. Lyrically, it’s also very evocative and I was reminded of Venice Bitch actually. Beautiful track!

Chemtrails Over the Country Club

This song goes so well after White Dress. The way White Dress trails off, only to immediately jump into the beautiful opening couplets of the song with their pulsing mid tempo rhythm. Gorgeous. Loved this track from the start and it sounds even more beautiful (if that was even possible) within the album!

Tulsa Jesus Freak

Wow..this song totally did not go where I thought it would based on the snippet. I absolutely love it. It’s sultry, it’s pensive, it’s a little bit serious and thoughtful, but it’s still fun at the same time! Also - the mixing on this is GORGEOUS. I think this is one of the smoothest songs I’ve ever heard - it flows together so seamlessly and truly swells. I love how the smoothness of the beat is juxtaposed with the harsh vocals of the “we’ll be white hot forever and ever and ever” motif. Stunning track - we finally got it!

Let Me Love You Like a Woman

I was always a huge fan of this song, and I love it within this album. I think it’s the most earnest sounding on the album with its very determined piano chord progression (being F-C-G) and its  vocal treatment being very 80s heartland rock. I definitely feel like this is the heart of the record.

Wild at Heart

The vocals on this damn song. I love that Lana is flexing her range so much more on this record! The lyrics are very cute while still being so meaningful, which I absolutely love. The message is really important and I can tell that this is a special song to Lana as well. The chorus is one of my favourite moments on this record and I like that she sampled the bridge from How to Disappear! It works so well in this song and really is a standout for me. Love it!

Dark But Just a Game

The intro to this song is so smooth and bluesy...I love it so much. I definitely hear the Portishead comparisons from MOJO in full effect here during the verses, but the pre-chorus was very Beatles-esque, with those beautiful layered vocals and major-key harmonies. I also like that she interpolated the original melody from the Bird World demo she sang on IG live on September 4, 2019! I also think the lyrics are really cool and do an amazing job of switching between this cool, flippant attitude and this reflective, self-preserving affirmation. Beautiful song!

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

This song is beautiful. The vocals during the chorus are beautifully layered and I love how anecdotal it feels with her talking about being in Nebraska and wearing the same clothes for three days. It’s really earnest and stripped down, which truly conveys the mood perfectly. I was reminded of Pawn Shop Blues upon my first listen, so I feel like this song is definitely one of the moments on the album where Lana is reconnecting with her folky sensibility the most!

Yosemite

Well, we finally got it! What can I say, other than what a beautiful track. The guitar is very bittersweet sounding, it almost weeps with hope as Lana delivers a very vulnerable set of lyrics in her head voice before coming down for the chorus. I love it so much, it reminds me of Change, in that it feels anticipatory for something, and I think Lana probably felt that way too upon putting it onto this record. Definitely a beautiful song, long-awaited for and it does not disappoint at all!

Breaking Up Slowly

This song is beautiful. The guitar is almost sexier sounding than what I thought,  but it’s perfect - it’s bluesy, meditative, a little bit gritty. So good! Nikki’s voice goes so well next to Lana’s - they both harmonize perfectly and I love the flutter of Lana’s voice when she sings “flowers”. I love this song so much!

Dance Till We Die

I think this song might be my favourite from the whole album. It feels like a career song, in that she weaves so many important people and aspects of her life to reflect on her loneliness in the past and makes this affirmation to never stop dancing till she dies, walk on the sunnier side, etc. It’s hopeful but also contains this sense of impending “something.” I don’t know what quite yet, but it feels very important. And that bridge! Oh my god. I loved that. Beautiful lyrics, imagery, vocal delivery, production, all that. Just wow.

For Free

Such a beautiful way to end the record. All the girls’ voices sound so clear and beautiful here. The harmonies when they all sing together are beautiful and I love that Jack added a little bit of extra production just to distinguish from Joni’s original and the live version Lana sang on tour, without making a parody of sorts of the song. I love this interpretation, I’ve loved both Lana and Joni Mitchell for a long time so this feels very cool to me. I also like how this track thematically connects to White Dress (basically every song on this record could be connected in some way and I love the cohesion and the narrative that is present).

I think this may end up becoming my favourite album EVER, even upon first listen. It’s purely who Lana is but invites us to take an even closer look at her life, her love, and her thoughts. I love everything about this project and I can say with sincerity that without even knowing it, this is the record I’ve been waiting for her to make, and I’m sure it’s the one she’s been waiting to make her entire life as well. :wub:

Wow what a great review :wowcry:

Loved every single word of it:wub:

So happy to see you enjoying & loving the album so much :heart:

OiUHEXQ.jpg

Swan Song. It’s on my album Honeymoon. It’s the antithesis of hopefulness. It’s about trying to find beauty in giving up. If I had my way, I would continue to persist in all areas of my life, but it can be quite challenging because I can be too trusting too soon.":sadcore2:

Just now, MrFameKills said:

Hide contents

:trisha:

COME ON MY MY BOY CAME THROUGH

going to watch right now to maximize my excitement :trisha:

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

the poll is similar to my ranking.  

yosemite is my absolute top favorite. (15/10)

My absolute treasures are white dress and tjf. Absolutely enchanting. (13/10)  

Full marks and still favorites, Dark but just a game, Wanderlust, Wild at heart, COCC (10/10)

Dance till we die - it's still growing. (the bridge enhances the track.) (7/10)

LMLYLAW (5/10)  

For Free (3/10)

Bus (3/10)

its not simple its trigonometry on We Heart It

Anyway here's my opinion/review of each track:

White Dress: Great opener. Lyrics are kinda astonishing. We already knew this track was gonna be IT. 10/10

COCC: Catchy melodies, nice production, I LOVE the BGVs/ad-libs. 10/10

TJF: This one was a grower. I like this song but I expected it to be better. I love the post-chorus, but the autotune was unnecesary :/. 7.5/10 (drag me idc)

LMLYLAW: This one was a grower x2, it's nothing special but it's just lovely and I don't find it skippable anymore. 7/10

WAH: I don't care that she recycled 3 tracks of NFR! for this particular song, it's still GREAT and it has one of the best chorus on this album. 8/10

DBJAG: This one is kind of a bop, it sounds 90-ish and my favorite part is the final chorus. 9/10

NAWWAL: I can't believe I really like Jack's speaking on this song lol, the harmonies are goddly here. 8/10

Yosemite: I l o v e the atmosphere and the production of this track, it's so light and yet so beautiful and stunning. Best song on this record idc and I'm glad it finally got to see the light. 11/10

BUS: I expected the studio version of this one to suck but nope, it didn't. I relate to the lyrics and it's a really good song tbh. 9/10

DTWD: This one is growing on me but that bridge SLAPS. 7.5/10 (by the moment)

FF: I don't know her

"ser bella me dio privilegios, pero ser astuta me dio poder"  :makeup:

Ok the White Dress MV is so gorgeous and stunning I just cannot stop watching it. I think it is my favorite Lana MV and I really love a lot of her MV’s. It’s also one of my favorite songs Lana ever released, and now with the video it is just so perfect.

PS fuck Alex Petradis at the Guardian for ONCE AGAIN nuking Lana’s Metacritic score. Like every fucking time Lana puts out an album this man is waiting to trash it and give her her lowest score. Next album cycle we seriously need to organize a campaign to tweet, mail letters, make phone calls etc to the guardian to demand they get someone less biased to write their review. It is so bullshit that they keep allowing this man who clearly dislikes Lana to keep writing her reviews. 

1 minute ago, lifeisavelvetcrowbar said:

Ok the White Dress MV is so gorgeous and stunning I just cannot stop watching it. I think it is my favorite Lana MV and I really love a lot of her MV’s. It’s also one of my favorite songs Lana ever released, and now with the video it is just so perfect.

PS fuck Alex Petradis at the Guardian for ONCE AGAIN nuking Lana’s Metacritic score. Like every fucking time Lana puts out an album this man is waiting to trash it and give her her lowest score. Next album cycle we seriously need to organize a campaign to tweet, mail letters, make phone calls etc to the guardian to demand they get someone less biased to write their review. It is so bullshit that they keep allowing this man who clearly dislikes Lana to keep writing her reviews. 

He’s a vile man he constantly trashes women

Arches are Illusions solid at first glance

Now i'm waiting for Ajay :bebe:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating.