Elle

Blue Banisters - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Blue Banisters  

867 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Blue Banisters?

• Text Book
    • Blue Banisters
    • Arcadia
    • Interlude - The Trio
    • Black Bathing Suit
    • If You Lie Down With Me
    • Beautiful
    • Violets for Roses
    • Dealer
    • Thunder
    • Wildflower Wildfire
    • Nectar of the Gods
    • Living Legend
    • Cherry Blossom
    • Sweet Carolina

7 minutes ago, GaboSpaceCowboy said:

I think it's a good time to leak the instrumentals and the original version of IYLDWM. :true:

We really need BB instrumentals, I'd do anything for them 

My rose garden dreams set on fire by fiends... :illumilana2: 

3 hours ago, honeymoon is alive said:

summer comes, winter goes, spring i skip, God knows :krylie:

Best part of title track. God I wish the rest of the song was like that:bebe:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

6 hours ago, Morningcrow said:

I don't know what i was expecting, but the way seeing @taco truck post in the BB thread made me move :wave2:

LOL, there have been some heated arguments over my BB opinions to say the least:eek: But I have to say, I must give 10s where 10s are due and BB Thunder is a 10.  :illumilana2:

3bd05eb1685d7f9b53b154c4195388d9.gif

❀˖° ⋆.ೃ࿔ this is my idea of fun °❀⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

14 hours ago, ivory almond said:

blue banisters is the only skip on this album and everything else is gorgeous, even "beautiful"

arcadia, violets for roses, cherry blossom, sweet carolina, THEY DONT DESERVE ANY HATE

I don't care for the title track either and never play it. Beautiful may be slight, but I wouldn't call it anything more than that; it's not nearly as bad or embarrassing, IMO, as HIAB or the reworked version of Next American Record. I bet if Beautiful had appeared on NFR!, some people would have loved it just as they love a lot of the tepid 'smaller' songs that round out/fill up that album.

BB gets a lot of hate as an album because: 

A) It has the leaked songs, not rerecorded, remastered, or otherwise altered or bettered; 

B) A handful of songs, including the title track, are from an early-middle age perspective, including BeautifulViolets For RosesArcadia and Sweet Carolina;

C) Dealer either works for you or it doesn't (I consider it something of a novelty track, I neither like nor dislike it):

D) The Trio is admittedly completely out of place, and a misuse of a great piece of Ennio Morricone music;  

E) The "Black lives matter" lyrics may offend or seem like virtue signaling; and

F) Like some of Chemtrails, it presents a Lana who wants to walk to the mall and watch television rather than going to the Ramada and splaying herself on the floor.

For me, unlike OB, none of the songs sound like earlier songs (Fishtail in particular, which I still like), and, for me, the production is better and it has a more cohesive vibe than OB, where, again, for me, Lana puts her foot in it more often than not. But, with different production and fewer shrill notes, I could see Grandfather and The Grants being on BB, even Taco Truck, which is not that dissimilar in mood to WFWF, but I'm glad they're not. Certainly Margaret, in its happy middle-aged mood, is not that different from Arcadia

Black Bathing Suit was such a missed opportunity, like imagine if it had been produced more like the first part of A&W mixed with first part of Taco Truck Taco Truck and slightly different vocals, it would have been stellar. The current production is just not great and I can’t with the cut-offs/glitches

it really is so fucking wild that she put nectar of the gods, living legend, and cherry blossom on this record...three of her best unreleaseds prior to BB imo, i swear to god we need a triple disc anthology of her unreleaseds 2012-2020 NOW.

aOaIzH2.gif

I need to get over it at this point but it’s still shocking to me that this album is as controversial as it is and not widely accepted as a clear highlight in her discography

regardless Blue Banisters will always be very very special to me and I truly adore every single song on it :thankyou:

Blue banisters (mainly the title track but also the album as a whole) makes me feel like a 43 year old suburban mother in Utah that grew up in Hawaii and went clubbing all her 20s in Malibu and have a one night stand with a club bouncer in the bathroom to become pregnant but have an abortion which gives me a reality check and I move to New York as an intern for a big company to fall in love with my boss where we both quit and retire in your early 30s where we then move to the suburbs of Utah and have 2 girls and a boy to then find out my husband cheated on me with my cousin ever since they met at the thanksgiving party and have been having an affair for 3 years but my whole family cuts me off instead of the cousin now the ex husband comes back at the start of every season. But all I wanted was my aborted baby with the club bouncer

I’ve had this story in my head for a while

I’m forever curious about the original Rock Candy Sweet that we never got 

Boz said some of his favorite songs on this album were scrapped, and I really hope someday they see the light of day 

Blue Banisters is the Lana album I go back to the least, and of the 2021 records, this is the one I could go without. None of the songs connected to me, and the laziness of ripping songs off of YouTube, while at the same time reworking other songs (Thunder, IYLDWM) just feels like a career low (to me) :bebe:

I also am not a huge fan of Drew’s solo work, and I think he shines best when he has other producers work with him. Arcadia and VFR are both cute but they’re missing something

"Don’t forget me"

Arcadia

Blue Banisters

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

Cherry Blossom

Text Book

Violets for Roses

Dealer

Living Legend

Sweet Carolina

Wildflower Wildfire

Nectar of the Gods

4 minutes ago, PARADIXO said:

Arcadia

Blue Banisters

Black Bathing Suit

If You Lie Down With Me

Thunder

Cherry Blossom

Text Book

Violets for Roses

Dealer

Living Legend

Sweet Carolina

Wildflower Wildfire

Nectar of the Gods

Everything was going so well until you put wildflower wildfire that low :rollin:

The cicadas in the sunset are your guide