Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

My two cents nobody wants <3:

I am so obsessed with this track, specifically the first half. I really missed that angsty rawness from her music. Sonically and lyrically this is everything I want from her.

Let me make this clear, I do really like the second part. Love how much fun she’s having and how the song totally transforms. I just am not totally sold on the production yet. I really like the glitchy moments especially with headphones, but it just sounds like Messnights at points… Jack loves that damn 2016’d dry snare and bass combo. 

From what we heard so far, I think I understand Eclipse’s post referencing HBTB: « anyone can start again, not through love but THROUGH revenge ». Did you know… will be just that: her revenge album, holding nothing back. 

The detail that Kintsugi shared that made my excitement for a particular song increase tenfold was the note that Candy Necklace is a "massive song"

Candy Necklace was at the bottom of my anticipated list, now it's top five. I originally thought it would turn out to be another Watercolor Eyes :bebe:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

7 minutes ago, Fingertips said:

The detail that Kintsugi shared that made my excitement for a particular song increase tenfold was the note that Candy Necklace is a "massive song"

Candy Necklace was at the bottom of my anticipated list, now it's top five. I originally thought it would turn out to be another Watercolor Eyes :bebe:

I trust his opinions too now more after hearing a&w as well

taco truck outro… I’m scared :bebe: 

10 minutes ago, DCooper said:

It's funny that everyone talks about how fun and boppy the second part is but I also find it very dark and unsettling. Like that party with Jimmy is not good vibes, even though the beat makes us think otherwise. It's like some trippy drugged up loop that we're stuck in where she just repeats the same toxic things about Jimmy over and over, and I think by repeating the lyrics from a song from the 1950s she's also making a statement that people have been living similar experiences to her for a very long time. It's obviously a vibe but there's a lot of darkness beneath the surface in that part too.

exactly — the beat is harsh, it trips over itself, and it feels purposeful, especially with the screaming part. it’s like being trapped in a nightmare

kinda reminds me of climax (horror movie) 😭 especially because of the way the song is split into two parts and how the second part devolves into insanity

sUcVobB.png

I think its so interesting that she included both parts of this song and my experience after listening to it was, as many other did, was only remember the Jimmy part and not really being able to tell what she's saying in the AW part and I think this was intentional...

When it comes to women sharing their negative experiences in relationships/social settings it has often been ignored or overlooked, possibly not even understood (love what you said @DCooper about women experiencing this since the 1950s and the "shimmy shimmy ko ko bop" referencing this)

But we are also being distracted by the Jimmy part, much like society has overlooked the true experiences of women for a happier, more upbeat picture, and it is only when we take a closer look (and listen) to the AW part that really see what she is saying...truly an amazing song that I hope everyone who listens to will take a deeper look at :oprah:

12 minutes ago, DCooper said:

It's funny that everyone talks about how fun and boppy the second part is but I also find it very dark and unsettling. Like that party with Jimmy is not good vibes, even though the beat makes us think otherwise. It's like some trippy drugged up loop that we're stuck in where she just repeats the same toxic things about Jimmy over and over, and I think by repeating the lyrics from a song from the 1950s she's also making a statement that people have been living similar experiences to her for a very long time. It's obviously a vibe but there's a lot of darkness beneath the surface in that part too.

THIS!!!

the first part actually tells a story about how her upbringing and abusive men in her life keep her in a vicious circle, that she cannot escape from it and might just as well just become an "american w****" in both a literal and figurative way, no matter it's just because she gave in and didnt care anymore or because people view her this way

giphy.gif

it’s September 2023. you are in the crowd watching Nikki Lane open for Lana’s Tunnel Tour.

once she finishes her set, the curtains close and the lights dim. suddenly you hear a piano and a faint voice singing,

”mom called, she was screaming as usual.”

the crowd cheers.

10 minutes ago, DCooper said:

YES

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

With how dark this album has been and the themes she's touching on, it feels like this album may be a true follow up to UV, the UV 2.0 we've kind of been begging for for years. The sound doesn't match UV exactly, but it seems very fitting that the cover is in black and white, shot by Neil again, and she's back to writing about darker themes. Also, I have to admit, her songwriting seems to be even better here and I'm not trying to say that A&W is her best song ever, but for me, it's up there. It, by miles, surpasses everything she did with BB and COCC for me. I love COCC and like BB enough I guess (I like BB better than LFL) but the writing on this album has been so well done from what we've heard. The title track alone, with her comparing herself to a tunnel that's been designed with beauty in mind but yet, has been closed off and forgotten... It kind of goes hand in hand with what we've heard from here both on this album and other albums too. It's like she's invisible. She says it that way in A&W and almost shows a reflection of what she talks about in Yosemite ("it's not like i'm invisible, not like I was before when i was burning at both ends"), now we're seeing why she feels she was burning at both ends.

This is truly shaping up to be a top tier, fan favorite record methinks :true::oprah:

8 minutes ago, DCooper said:

I've been thinking about this too, actually. I've been listening to it and it's cute and fun, but underneath it all there's bits where it's really dark and twisted. There's that random jarring sound toward the end and she screams in the background and everything is layered so well to make it seem this way. Also, the lyrics "Shimmy shimmy coco bop" remind me of when we were kids and would do the hand slap games, which follows back to the idea of her childhood. This is a stretch too, but thinking about those hand slap games remind me of UV (title track, "he hits me and it felt like a kiss")

giphy.gif

if i fuck this model and she just bleached her asshole and i get bleach on my t-shirt, imma feel like an asshole

9 minutes ago, DCooper said:

you always have some great insights!

I agree, the whole song is dark. she just made it possible for us to shake our asses to the second part :true: 

1.jpg  3.jpg  2.jpg 

i hear some stargirl interlude, some national anthem outro, paradise demo, some psychedelic kill kill / AKA blended altogether with some trap beats :defeated:a career highlight i fear... this is truly giving me strong NFR! memories... MAC / OB being the lukewarm slow-burn yet timeless classic in the long run while VB / A&W being the ambitious experimental masterpiece 

giphy.gif