Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Pre-Release Thread: OUT March 24th, 2023

2 hours ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

I was listening to old money and to young and beautiful and I came to think of how youth and beauty were always themes that concerned her. The idea of getting old, being forgotten , not being seen for your inner beauty but only for your external beauty , not being loved anymore.. idk it got me feeling really emotional :ohno:

To me, 'Old Money' is one of her very best, and the only LDR song that has ever made me cry--and there's so many points in the song that are extremely painful and poignant. The end is just brutal---"and we were young and pretty." 

I think many of us, for various reasons, have felt "alone for reasons unknown to" us, perhaps it's simply part of the human condition, to feel overlooked, misunderstood, frightened, lost. If I had to select one LDR song for sheer brilliance, I would pick 'Old Money.' 

The only contemporary song I know that is sadder is Tori Amos's 'Playboy Mommy,' in which a woman--perhaps Amos, perhaps not--speaks to the unborn child she lost after acting irresponsibly ("in my platforms I hit the floor"), and thus losing the child (and Amos had at least one miscarriage).

I like to listen to 'Old Money,' but I can't bear to listen to 'PM.'  

22 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

why is she being so strategic about making sure literally no one has the tracklist :deadbanana: i dont think shes ever done this before

And there must be some reason for keeping it under lock and key. Is it just to maintain surprise or could it be that 'Del Norte County' is on the second half? 

I doubt it's because 'Serene Queen' or another leaked track has been added. 

34 minutes ago, mlittle11 said:

why is she being so strategic about making sure literally no one has the tracklist :deadbanana: i dont think shes ever done this before

Probably to prevent leaks. With titles, it’s a step closer to looking up songs on sharing sites.

14 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

To me, 'Old Money' is one of her very best, and the only LDR song that has ever made me cry--and there's so many points in the song that are extremely painful and poignant. The end is just brutal---"and we were young and pretty." 

I think many of us, for various reasons, have felt "alone for reasons unknown to" us, perhaps it's simply part of the human condition, to feel overlooked, misunderstood, frightened, lost. If I had to select one LDR song for sheer brilliance, I would pick 'Old Money.' 

The only contemporary song I know that is sadder is Tori Amos's 'Playboy Mommy,' in which a woman--perhaps Amos, perhaps not--speaks to the unborn child she lost after acting irresponsibly, falling "in my platforms I hit the floor"), and thus losing the child (and Amos had at least one miscarriage).

I like to listen to 'Old Money,' but I can't bear to listen to 'PM.'  

I always really like your insight into Lana's music. Old money is totally a heart-wrenching song and proof of her genius as an artist. The whole song feels like a really personal confession to the listener , that's what it feels like to me at least.

I've never heard of PM but it sounds like Tori is talking about a really tragic life story and I get why it is so difficult to listen to..

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

25 minutes ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

I always really like your insight into Lana's music. Old money is totally a heart-wrenching song and proof of her genius as an artist. The whole song feels like a really personal confession to the listener , that's what it feels like to me at least.

I've never heard of PM but it sounds like Tori is talking about a really tragic life story and I get why it is so difficult to listen to..

Thank you. I appreciate your saying so. As a fan of 'OM,' do you think it's about young people, that it's a fairly young woman speaking? I was surprised when another member told me that that was their interpretation.

I see it, 100%, as a mature woman, say, of 55 or 60, who has lost her beloved and the father of her children (presumably her husband), looking back on her beautiful past life of wealth, racing cars, and glorious days in the Riviera, and on everything she has lost, including her physical youth, with barely-contained desperation.  The "I'm out of time" line is also brutal. 

44 minutes ago, Vertimus said:

Thank you. I appreciate your saying so. As a fan of 'OM,' do you think it's about young people, that it's a fairly young woman speaking? I was surprised when another member told me that that was their interpretation.

I see it, 100%, as a mature woman, say, of 55 or 60, who has lost her beloved and the father of her children (presumably her husband), looking back on her beautiful past life of wealth, racing cars, and glorious days in the Riviera, and on everything she has lost, including her physical youth, with barely-contained desperation.  The "I'm out of time" line is also brutal. 

Tbh I've always thought it was a fairly young woman talking about young love and how she is constantly in fear of getting older as time passes. I see it in myself as well as I'm getting older that even in my 20s , age is something that worries me. I think that there is a social factor that plays into it as well, the way society has made women think that their worth is connected to being young and pretty. I feel it is engrained in our minds even if we disagree with that societal notion. I see these reoccurring themes in ocean boulevard as well.

Reading the lyrics of OM again though made me think that maybe it's about an older woman as you said 

𝑳𝒊𝒇𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒂𝒖𝒕𝒊𝒇𝒖𝒍 𝒃𝒖𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒆

10 minutes ago, Deadly Nightshade said:

Tbh I've always thought it was a fairly young woman talking about young love and how she is constantly in fear of getting older as time passes. I see it in myself as well as I'm getting older that even in my 20s , age is something that worries me. I think that there is a social factor that plays into it as well, the way society has made women think that their worth is connected to being young and pretty. I feel it is engrained in our minds even if we disagree with that societal notion. I see these reoccurring themes in ocean boulevard as well.

Reading the lyrics of OM again though made me think that maybe it's about an older woman as you said 

Thank you. It's fascinating how widely lyrics can be interpreted, and how we unconsciously project ourselves into them without realizing it. The 'older woman, less desirable' thing is definately there. Tori Amos has written several songs about how that applies to the music industry, and sadly, continues to. 

I wonder what the further roadmap is until the album. A lot can happen between now and March: tracklist unveiling, second single, videos, live performance, lyrics to Ocean Blvd (Spotify, Youtube), photo shoots. Wasn't there something with Interview magazine? There have been also no selfies for a long time, maybe she'll give us a further insight into the mood or atmosphere of the album.