Elle

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd - Poll  

1,060 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd?

• The Grants
    • Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
    • Sweet
    • A&W
    • Judah Smith Interlude
    • Candy Necklace (feat. Jon Batiste)
    • Jon Batiste Interlude
    • Kintsugi
    • Fingertips
    • Paris, Texas (feat. SYML)
    • Grandfather please stand on the shoulders of my father while he's deep-sea fishing
    • Let The Light In (feat. Father John Misty)
    • Margaret (feat. Bleachers)
    • Fishtail
    • Peppers (feat. Tommy Genesis)
    • Taco Truck x VB

This is her best album, so naturally it's right for it to earn Lana her first Grammy. :fabcat:

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

2 hours ago, Girl in Bel Air said:

Oh no I never saw that picture. Ugh I know that must have been tough for her 😭😭😭

I truly want her to win but I will be pissed if fucking Boygenius win bc wtf 

bless your heart

1 hour ago, overnoverhoney said:

Also I think she has Alt Performance in the bag. It's the only song nominated for Alt Performance AND SOTY, and all its high year end listings indicates it has some passionate support

Plus I think that making of A&W video on Mix With The Masters could help her odds 

I think that is the only Grammy she will win, maybeeeeeeee best alt album. Also a slight possibility of pop duo given Jon Batiste is apart of that song 

9 hours ago, the greatest bitch said:

A&W is so good that I don’t celebrate valentines day anymore … feb 14th is A&W day in this household

A&W being released on valentines day gives off the same vibes as when lady gaga released Judas on easter.

iconic :candy:

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7gqsj2bjkxgmq77zi79zc36i0w705phy1th23hnvz&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

⁺.⊹ ࣪ ˖  𝒸𝒶𝓉𝒸𝒽 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓋𝑒 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝓉𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉𝓃𝑒𝓈𝓈 ₊˚.༄

i just got harpers bazaar lana issue at barnes and noble!!💪 

tumblr_msgktbC6Al1rqekzuo1_400.gif

.*𝒹𝑜𝓃’𝓉 𝓁𝑒𝒶𝓋𝑒, 𝒾 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝓃𝑒𝑒𝒹 𝒶 𝓌𝒶𝓀𝑒 𝓊𝓅 𝒸𝒶𝓁𝓁✧.*

11 hours ago, SuperMegaStan said:

who the f keeps putting GUTS and the record in top 10 like it's cute but it's not top 10 cute at all :deadbanana:

Olivia Rodrigo does nothing for me. She's like if Lana had a lobotomy. Zero edge. Zero creativity. Just basic bitch sanitised music for the masses.

6 hours ago, Lanaparadiserey said:

I think that is the only Grammy she will win, maybeeeeeeee best alt album. Also a slight possibility of pop duo given Jon Batiste is apart of that song 

I still think Best Alt is hers for the taking. Not sure about song, even with all these accolades. It's too dark for the grammys.

NPR did NOT have Ocean Blvd in their top 50 albums of 2023, but they did have room for Sexyy Red's Hood Hottest Princess on the list. I mean, who at NPR is selecting these? Almost every other major publication has Ocean Blvd in their top lists. I guess taste is loss on them.

No offence to any Sexxy Red fans in the audience

Edit: They do have some good contenders on their list, don't get me wrong, but leaving Ocean Blvd off is an insult to the art of music and lyricism.

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

33 minutes ago, J.R.OMEGA said:

NPR did NOT have Ocean Blvd in their top 50 albums of 2023, but they did have room for Sexyy Red's Hood Hottest Princess on the list. I mean, who at NPR is selecting these? Almost every other major publication has Ocean Blvd in their top lists. I guess taste is loss on them.

No offence to any Sexxy Red fans in the audience

Edit: They do have some good contenders on their list, don't get me wrong, but leaving Ocean Blvd off is an insult to the art of music and lyricism.

Stereogum did the same thing. Ocean Blvd has actually missed some pretty big lists so far. Definitely not as strong as NFR was among end of year lists but that was to be expected. 

I just checked AOTY site and their total list for the best album and even though Lana is 3rd so far I just see that critics want to give this title to some one era wonder again. It's the same old about giving all the flowers to underdogs and sure, it's probably even good but I just don't understand how these albums are on the same level with Ocean Blvd. I maybe can understand the hype around that Caroline girl, even though her music is not for me. But I can't believe that out of all albums critics and Grammys decided to praise that 3 boring girls album. It literally sounds like any Spotify Indie playlist you'll put as background music. It's not bad at all, the hype is just so random that it makes me dislike the album.
And let me not even start with that Avril Lavigne tribute album at 1st place...:flop:

1 hour ago, LifeOnMars said:

Ocean Blvd has actually missed some pretty big lists so far. Definitely not as strong as NFR was among end of year lists but that was to be expected. 

Tbh it is pretty surprising to me.

Ocean Blvd has its idiosyncrasies but I think it should be clear to anyone, especially someone calling themselves a music critic, that this album is not only a new height in Lana’s own career, but conceptually something few if any current musicians would be capable of envisioning let alone executing. 

You can like the music or not and I don’t care if some magazine ranks the album lower or higher, but in my opinion not even including Ocean Blvd in a Top 50 albums of 2023 list shows a complete misunderstanding of the current music landscape and what art is fundamentally. 

Did you know that there's a tunnel under Ocean Blvd on year-end lists so far:

#1 — Time Out
#1 — The Sunday Times
#4 — The New York Times
#5 — The New Yorker
#5 — OOR
#6 — Uncut 
#6 — MOJO
#6 — Les InRocks
#8 — RIFF
#11 — Pitchfork
#11 — MondoSonoro
#16 — Exclaim!
#18 — Gorilla vs. Bear
#20 — Esquire
#21 — Rolling Stone
#24 — Paste Magazine 
#25 — Consequence of Sound
#36 — Crack Magazine

#4 overall with 87 points from 41 lists

Lana's albums on year-end lists aggregate:

2023: Ocean Blvd #4 with 87 points (41 lists so far)
2021: Chemtrails #30 with 78 points, Blue Banisters OUT with 28 points (130 lists)
2019: Norman #1 with 451 points (127 lists)
2017: Lust For Life OUT with 42 points (132 lists)
2015: Honeymoon #24 with 60 points (80 lists)
2014: Ultraviolence #14 with 103 points (77 lists)
2012: Born To Die OUT with 24 points (56 lists)

So Ocean Blvd is doing far better than any Lana's album except for Norman, obviously. 

41 minutes ago, Evergreen said:

Lana's albums on year-end lists aggregate:

2023: Ocean Blvd #4 with 87 points (41 lists so far)
2021: Chemtrails #30 with 78 points, Blue Banisters OUT with 28 points (130 lists)
2019: Norman #1 with 451 points (127 lists)
2017: Lust For Life OUT with 42 points (132 lists)
2015: Honeymoon #24 with 60 points (80 lists)
2014: Ultraviolence #14 with 103 points (77 lists)
2012: Born To Die OUT with 24 points (56 lists)

So Ocean Blvd is doing far better than any Lana's album except for Norman, obviously. 

what a way to end the year. Now if she only released an unreleased album or aka, it'd be the best year ever