Elle

Lasso - Pre-Release Thread: OUT September 2024

28 minutes ago, Jeanne Dielman said:

I am so confused. The NME interview was very bizarre, and so was her "oh my god" reaction to that fan tonight, lol. Apparently, the project *exists* (Antonoff called it "brilliant"), but there's something about it that makes Lana hesitant and unsure. Has she changed her mind about the album's direction and sonic style, or is she unsure about the critical reception?

- Last spring, Antonoff mentioned that he and Lana are delving into a creatively exciting and very strange place. It seemed that he was implying that they have been cooking something experimental. 

- In September, Lana said that the next album would be more "Americana" with structurally and lyrically simpler songs compared to the more chaotic and excessively wordy Ocean tracks. 

- The first time she mentioned that she's going "country" was during that show when she gave an award to Antonoff. She also implied that "Lasso" has been a passion project that she's been working for 4 years, and Antonoff even traveled around several places in the U.S. with her, in order to write and record new music. 

- Lana worked with Quavo right after the Grammy's. 

- During the NME interview, she mentioned that the new songs are "American songbook"-esque. But she also sounded quite unsure about the album, not necessarily in terms of its existence, but mostly in terms of what it might evolve into (artistically), or in terms of critical reception. 

My two cents:

When Lana (enthusiastically) mentioned that "Lasso" is a country album, she had her recent collaboration with Luke Laird in mind. She usually gets very excited whilst working on something very specific; remember her W Magazine interview that made us expect an album filled with "Fingertips"-esque tracks? - and it low-key colors her perspective, lol. So, while I do think that the "country" element will be there, I doubt that it's going to be *the* defining sound of the album, which might explain why she's gotten a bit hesitant when attempting to describe the album. "Americana" and "American songbooks" are different terms, that imply a much broader soundscape. Not to mention the Quavo collaboration and the "strange" stuff she's been working on with Antonoff (and who knows what else at this point), assuming all this stuff has been put together in one album. 

Another explanation would be that she has changed the soundscape of the album dramatically. In fact, there might not be strong "country" elements at all. Her reaction to how "quiet" the room went when she announced the album is quite telling. Did she get cold feet? Does she feel that she might be misinterpreted as someone who's simply following the trend? Who knows. The fact that she mentioned that the songs are more "American songbook"-esque means that she probably hasn't cancelled the album yet, though.

Which leads me to a different interpretation of what she's been implying so far: what if the album is not a "typical" country/Americana album, and it's a little bit bolder/experimental or simply not easily categorized and defined in terms of its sound and style? Perhaps Lana is scared of the reception; critics and fans might be expecting something more "classic" or specific in general, but we are not getting that at all.

I don't know what to expect at this point, lol. I think that the album exists, but she's probably changed her mind about its direction and style. The latest IG post feels like a prelude to what's about to come in terms of the new era's aesthetics. It feels intensely contemporary and urban (the street/car photos), but also alluringly gothic, nostalgic and quite unsettling (the swamps, the trees etc.). This is a far cry from the generic "yeehaw" aesthetics, so maybe she's simply unsure about the overall reception to this potentially singular take on country/American songbooks/whatever's been on her mind lately? The "Lust for Life" comparison might be apt: this could be a mixture of trap, experimental alternative, hip hop, country, and throwback Americana ballads. Or...maybe not! She's indeed so random...  

perhaps lasso will feature some minor, subtle elements of country music, like the dark, warm guitars featured on born to die, on tracks such as blue jeans and summertime sadness, or perhaps the general sound and cadence of the songs will be reminiscent of country music, sort of like how she described video games and ride as country songs, or, it may be more experimental, taking influence from a variety of different sources, almost like AKA, which undoubtedly features a country, folk, vintage americana sound, in songs queen of the gas station, oh say can you see, raise me up (mississippi south), and pawn shop blues, but even the songs that do not sound country or anything under that umbrella have that sort of feel, somehow, mermaid motel sounds way more reminiscent of the sea, or flashing, neon lights at an amusement park, but it fits in perfectly with the flirty americana of queen of the gas station, or the agricultural vulnerability of pawn shop blues, although she did sneak in a southern accent in the second verse of that one, i think it would be really cool and interesting if lasso felt reminiscent of AKA's wide scope of sounds and influences, vast, yet cohesive

15 minutes ago, Surf Noir said:

perhaps lasso will feature some minor, subtle elements of country music, like the dark, warm guitars featured on born to die, on tracks such as blue jeans and summertime sadness, or perhaps the general sound and cadence of the songs will be reminiscent of country music, sort of like how she described video games and ride as country songs, or, it may be more experimental, taking influence from a variety of different sources, almost like AKA, which undoubtedly features a country, folk, vintage americana sound, in songs queen of the gas station, oh say can you see, raise me up (mississippi south), and pawn shop blues, but even the songs that do not sound country or anything under that umbrella have that sort of feel, somehow, mermaid motel sounds way more reminiscent of the sea, or flashing, neon lights at an amusement park, but it fits in perfectly with the flirty americana of queen of the gas station, or the agricultural vulnerability of pawn shop blues, although she did sneak in a southern accent in the second verse of that one, i think it would be really cool and interesting if lasso felt reminiscent of AKA's wide scope of sounds and influences, vast, yet cohesive

I'm also getting strong AKA (and slight BTD) vibes in terms of aesthetics/looks, so you may be onto something. Nostalgic; decadent; deeply Americana; and undeniably Lana. She is notorious for being unable to describe her albums properly, lol, so I think we're in for several surprises. Also, her "jeez"/"where is Lasso going? I don't know"/"oh god" responses remind me of that interview when she admitted that she didn't want to put "A&W" on Ocean because she was very scared of the reception, and Jack was the one who pushed hard for its release. The last tracks of her previous album usually are an indication of the next album's scope/style. And "Tough!" sounds like a potentially playful - and very fun! - track. On the other hand, "Henry, Come On" (if that's the title of that song, lol) feels like an AKA throwback in many ways. And there are subtle country elements - lyrically or/and sonically - on both tracks. So, yeah, her definition of "country"/"Americana" must be quite loose, and there's probably been room for experimentation. There probably will be some "classic" Americana/country songs, as well, but I'm pretty sure that we are getting something a little bit wilder/bolder/stranger than expected.

I don't care if it's country or Lasso or anything atp, if it matches the photos she posted today, it will be epic. She's stronger than ever.

With the status of Lasso being seemingly up in the air, I've been appreciating Ocean Blvd a little extra recently. The album itself is not only so beautiful, and some of her best work, but this era has been so rewarding for Lana and for fans. From concerts, to interviews, to public engagements, and literal rewards. When Taylor Swift said that Lana has not yet hit her peak at the Grammy's, she was totally right. While I'm excited for whatever comes next, I'm just so happy with where Lana is right now at this moment, because of Ocean Blvd and her previous works. 

At best I think maybe she’s decided to change the title from lasso and the title lasso now makes her cringe

let’s stop asking her about lasso and start asking about her next record and see if we get a different response lol

like a dream, you glide on the water 

IMG-7034.gif

and like a star, I shine from the shore 

50 minutes ago, may jaiIer said:

this is me HELP.... i told lana i was so excited for lasso and she looked at ed and went "oh god.." it's not looking too good i fear...:crying5:

wait what was her face like when she said "oh god"

did anything give u the vibe that it's been delayed/scrapped

im still a september release truther

the earth shattered, the sky opened

tumblr_p594n81oiC1x11ydmo2_400.gif

that rain was fire, but we were wooden

2 hours ago, may jaiIer said:

this is me HELP.... i told lana i was so excited for lasso and she looked at ed and went "oh god.." it's not looking too good i fear...:crying5:

Was it like an oh god I’m scared how it will be perceived when it’s released or it’s not gonna be called lasso or not happening anymore :toofunny:

giphy.webp

♡︎ ⁺.⊹ ˖  𝓂𝓎 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒷𝓁𝓊𝑒 ₊˚. ♡︎

1 hour ago, Thats why they call me Dita said:

At best I think maybe she’s decided to change the title from lasso and the title lasso now makes her cringe

let’s stop asking her about lasso and start asking about her next record and see if we get a different response lol

I kinda had the same thought. She’s obviously been working on music but shes been vague and unsure when asked about lasso specifically. I don’t think it would be a completely new album but maybe she decided to change the title and direction a little 

giphy.webp

♡︎ ⁺.⊹ ˖  𝓂𝓎 𝒷𝒶𝒷𝓎 𝓁𝒾𝓋𝑒𝓈 𝒾𝓃 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑒𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝒷𝓁𝓊𝑒 ₊˚. ♡︎